Helmet & Clothing insurance.

vRSG60

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've been quoted £40 for helmet/clothing/boots etc insurance cover on top of my bike insurance. Now I've not looked into it and don't know if this is a decent price or not. The cover seems fairly comprehensive, new for old and up to £1000 .
Are there any stand alone policies that any of you use that compete with this?

I didn't opt for a standalone kit policy; My policy includes helmet/clothing up to the value of £2k, which cost me an additional £15 (standard cover for kit was £1k, & was included in the original quote).

It may be worth enquiring with your insurer to re-quote you a full policy with the clothing included, rather than as a bolt on....but be mindful of the magical 'admin' charge that is more often than not added on.....

Without you reading the terms and conditions of the policy it's impossible to say whether £40 for a sum insured of £1000 is good value or not.

It might represent good value but less so if the terms and conditions read that the kit had to be under a year old.

It's your policy, not ours. Read it and make your own mind up. When doing so, consider two things in addition:

1. How likely are you to significantly damage your kit in a spill of your own making?

2. In the event that your kit is damaged by a third party in an accident, there is a very good chance that their insurer will be paying to replace / repair your kit, not yours.

Last but not least, some (by all means, not all) Household insurances would cover clothing and equipment under an All Risks extension to the policy, though you might like to check the excess and the precise terms and conditions.

the other thing to consider is "self insuring". If you put that £40 into a savings account each year for the entire length of your bike riding career would you cover the costs of replacement gear (excluding normal wear & tear) yourself over that same period?

I do the same sums when it comes to warranty extensions for white goods.

So far, I have chosen to self insure for bike gear & white goods.

...and what have you decided to do?

Well, seeing as I'm a soft tart and don't ride in the winter I've decided not to take up the insurance, for now. I'll have another think come spring. I'm off on a jaunt around Germany next July so I'll make up my mind before then. My gear is BMW Rallye jacket & trousers so not cheap to replace.

Back
Top Bottom