Tearing The Mistress's clothes off to give her a good seeing to!

Fluffy Bridges

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Coming up to our 20 year aniversary I thought it was about time the old girl had her war paint touched up, not that she doesn't look half bad as she is, but you know what Ladies are like: have to look their best when out in public, and rightly so.

I promised I'd take her back to where she was born one day and so it was that we left Blighty for Lake Como and Mandelo last June via the Alps. Never missed a beat. Took her to Monza whilst we were there to. But the snow was still on he Alps when we went over and the salt didn't do her a lot of good despte a good washing at Belagio.

So, time to tart the old bitch up. Here we are at the begining of her disrobement! I'm going to refinish the front of the engine, fork sliders, re stove the swing arm and the front wheel and get the gearbox rebuilt as there is a bit of slop in top. Nothing too serious. Then she'll be ready for another 20 years.

Guzzi's. I love 'em.

Attachments

• P1000444.jpg
    P1000444.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 2,489
  • P1000178.jpg
    P1000178.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 2,397
Ive got a bronze coloured one of those !! dont see many of them around ! - been meaning to do the clutch for a while now - this winter hopefully a strip down and tidy up, clutch, bevel drive sortout etc and next summer have some fun again !!:blagblah

Nice.

Italian Mistress...otherwise know as a "goomah".

It's what my missus calls my Stelvio

Steve

Ive got a bronze coloured one of those !! dont see many of them around ! - been meaning to do the clutch for a while now - this winter hopefully a strip down and tidy up, clutch, bevel drive sortout etc and next summer have some fun again !!:blagblah

Hi Hugh,

Where abouts are you then? We can't be to far away from each other.
I was minding my own business in Dulverton which is near where we are and came across a 1000S that lives within spitting distance, a convert and a V50 Monza that I had no idea were on the doorstep. Certainly don't see Guzzi's in this neck of the woods very often.

Naked!

Managed to spare an hour or so in the garage in between sh*t trailer/sheep/horses/dogs/logs/hoovering (dont ask....), shopping and replacing bulbs in the front and dining rooms.

Now naked and missing front wheel. The rear was re-finished a few years ago but the front looks v. poor.

Attachments

• P1000449.jpg
    P1000449.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 1,967
Closer inspection shows - not much at all really exept the poor girl is filthy!
A couple of minor patches of corrosion on the subframe but that is to be expected at this age. Given that the paint is pretty thin in this area I was expecting much worse. Both the patches were on the LHS. Even the battery box frame has escaped the worst of the ravages but the battery tray has worn through the paint so that will have to go to the powder coaters as well as the frame/subframe strut which can be seen immediately above the damper spring.
When I bought her I immediately fitted a hugger from - I think - Pyramid Plastics which has saved the swingarm and frame cross member from being peppered.

Attachments

• P1000450.jpg
    P1000450.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 2,021
  • P1000451.jpg
    P1000451.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 2,039
Hi Fluffy Bridges - I'm in Bridgwater, had the bike since 2002 - rode it most days to work ayr until 5 yrs ago when I got the GS ! its been in storage waiting for the time to sort it out (Oh the shame !) promised SWMBO not to do it until ive finished the bathrooms ! on the home straight now so this winter is my target

Attachments

• guzzi 1100 sport.jpg
    guzzi 1100 sport.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 1,988
Hi Hugh,
Yours looks a nice standard injection one. Are the crossover and cans original? Mine are hanging up in the garage among with the air box which was the cause of the midrange flat spot, now tuned out.
I bought mine in '95 from Riders. The previous owner had done about 1000 miles on it but couldn't get on with it and swapped it for a Triumph. Nuff said. We've been together ever since.
When they are both done we must celebrate with a run. I know some Welsh roads which the pair of them would like.

Fluff.

Ho,ho!
That's nice. I'd like a rear tub like that for mine or a solid infill for the pillion pad.
That'll be three then,
It looks like we'll be in Cork/Limerick area next May, but on the GSA. Looking forward to that.

Fluff.

Some progress

Poor thing has her legs and rear end missing. All at the powder coaters except for the swing arm which is being a bit of a pest.

Attachments

• Rear.jpg
    Rear.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 1,760
Cramped

The reason for the rather cramped workshop is that brothers K12 turned up from Dubai this morning complete with mittens on to keep its mirrors warm.

Attachments

• Jems 12.jpg
    Jems 12.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 850
Effending article

In order to get the swing arm powder coated the bearings need to come out or the grease will leak out all over the powder and spoil the process.
Now, these buggers are in there and are not budging. I have a slide hammer and appropriate expanding sleeves but they won't touch this job which is trying my patience. The n/s one is perfect but there is a bit of notchiness in the drive side and I'd like to put a new one in....

Short of burning them out which won't do the housings any good, I'm at a loss at the minute...

By coincidence some one bashed my car a while back and the local paint man is going to sort it next week, so if the bearings won't come out I can always get it painted instead.

Dave Richardson suggests that as the swing arm bearings hardly move much to let them be. I can see his point but I want to change them.

Attachments

• Swing arm 1.jpg
    Swing arm 1.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 797
  • Swing arm 2.jpg
    Swing arm 2.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 849
Interestingly, after 40,000kms the u/j's are in really good nick. No play, no notchiness no nothing. I keep them religiously greased with moly grease before every long run and the treatment has paid off. I was expecting them to be knackered, to put it bluntly.

Which is what I would like to report about the gear box, but can't. Over the years there has been a definate increase in top gear noise, again nothing too bad, and a roughness at less than 3000 rpm when the power pulses haven't smoothed out sufficiently to mask the effect. One cause could be that I've found lift in the output shaft and knowing that 5th gear surface hardness wasn't as good as it should be as well, I'll send it away to be rebuilt. NJB have been suggested. So I'll give them a ring...

In order to get the swing arm powder coated the bearings need to come out or the grease will leak out all over the powder and spoil the process.
Now, these buggers are in there and are not budging. I have a slide hammer and appropriate expanding sleeves but they won't touch this job which is trying my patience. The n/s one is perfect but there is a bit of notchiness in the drive side and I'd like to put a new one in....

Short of burning them out which won't do the housings any good, I'm at a loss at the minute...

By coincidence some one bashed my car a while back and the local paint man is going to sort it next week, so if the bearings won't come out I can always get it painted instead.

Dave Richardson suggests that as the swing arm bearings hardly move much to let them be. I can see his point but I want to change them.

Can I suggest a "blind" bearing puller?
I have the Sykes Pickavant type which use ball ended flatted pins that poke between
the balls - twisted 90 degrees and then pull the bearing out.
It would need the screw part of the puller to pass thro' the centre of the bearing,
to press on a length of bar in the vice from the other side.
Sounds painful, but it'd work.

Back
Top Bottom