CCM644...electrically dead!

mspenz

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Or that's how it was described when I bought it! Only done just over 2k miles (have seen the old MOTs, 2k on last years & he can't have done much since then...have you felt that hard seat!!), and looks like new, also the DS model and fitted with Distanzia tyres for road.
Well, would have looked like new if he hadn't dropped it on the steep road outside his house and scraped the front mudguard and bikini nose fairing thing, only trouble now is that there is absolutely nothing electrical working after the bump and he can't be arsed spending time working on it as he also has a XR600 in the garage.

I've picked this up pretty cheap and intend to get it running and then sell for a wee profit (would prefer a XT350 or DR400 maybe) and am hoping that it's going to be a fairly simple fix. Am thinking along the lines of a faulty ignition relay or ignition switch, or a broken wire or connection somewhere between tank and frame :rolleyes:

Don't get it home until Friday night and them I'm off to Applecross for the weekend so I won't get my paws on it until next week unfortunately.

Anyone out there had any experiences with the Suzuki engined CCM (it's an 06' model) ?? They have had some bad press but they can't all be bad...can they?

Mike.

I had a 644SM CCM, that had the Suzuki lump in it, No real major issues with the engine, they are prone to leaking rocker cover gaskets. I have sat on comfier planks, that seat is hard and very narrow. Mine had an electrical fault, a short inside the headlamp would blow the main fuse, killing all electrics. Not ideal when my commute was down dark country lanes. When it was running it was a hooligan bike that just could not be ridden sensibly.

I had a 644SM CCM, that had the Suzuki lump in it, No real major issues with the engine, they are prone to leaking rocker cover gaskets. I have sat on comfier planks, that seat is hard and very narrow. Mine had an electrical fault, a short inside the headlamp would blow the main fuse, killing all electrics. Not ideal when my commute was down dark country lanes. When it was running it was a hooligan bike that just could not be ridden sensibly.

Yeah, totally agree, sat on it & had a pretty fkd up mix of emotions! That seat is a killer and it has hooligan stamped all over it in big fluorescent letters, not a bike for an old(ish) fella :D

The guy has said that he has tested the fuse so I'm thinking either relay or ignition but hoping it's just a relay as that would be £12 as opposed to £60, although it should be possible to retrofit something else suitable if it is the ignition unit.

Thank's for the info.

Got it going, all that was wrong was a missing (arghh) relay which probably fell out when he dropped it! Took me a wee while to figure it out and had ripped the loom to bits and tested everything within my limited knowledge, was beginning to think that it was the CDI unit (£380 :blast) and then I noticed a block connector that looked like it was missing something.
Checked the wiring diagram and sure enough, there should be a relay (sidestand) there, £10 later, WOW what a machine :D

I was going to sell it for a wee profit as I need new front discs on my GSA, but I really like it now :rolleyes:

Like it so much that I'm now up-jetting and spend every spare minute on it...

I did 770 miles on an R30, Rotax lump, in 18 hours on the Welsh National Rally when it was a day and night event. I had a bruised arse for over a week! Loved the CCM :)

Dave

I did 770 miles on an R30, Rotax lump, in 18 hours on the Welsh National Rally when it was a day and night event. I had a bruised arse for over a week! Loved the CCM :)

Dave

Respect dude!

They do make you grin though.
I have the Suzuki lump but do have a sweet spot for the Rotax after owning a F650GS for over 5 years without any problems.

Respect dude!

They do make you grin though.
I have the Suzuki lump but do have a sweet spot for the Rotax after owning a F650GS for over 5 years without any problems.

After the first 100 miles I'd have given anything for a comfy saddle and a quiet exhaust, but it was fun.

Dave

I had a 604 Rotax CCM, it was a blast...If Denis the Menace was to have a bike it would be a CCM.

Rich

I've had my CCM R30 with the Suzy engine for over 2, years now, all the info you need is at CCMMAD.co.uk

There's access to over 2gb of files and most of the members are familiar with the common and not so common electrical vagaries of the bike, there's a hidden fuse in the wiring circuit on some of the 644s, also the starter and side stand relays are the same, so you always have a spare:thumb2

In standard trim their hooligans bikes, mine had the 710 conversion and a 1/2 race cam fitted last Easter, it now lifts the front wheel in all 5 gears......as the 3 points on my license prove:rolleyes:

Did this get sorted?

I knew a chap who rode one for his daily rider as a river warden. I remember him saying the loom was too tight and would occasionally unplug part of the engine harness.

I've had my CCM R30 with the Suzy engine for over 2, years now, all the info you need is at CCMMAD.co.uk

There's access to over 2gb of files and most of the members are familiar with the common and not so common electrical vagaries of the bike, there's a hidden fuse in the wiring circuit on some of the 644s, also the starter and side stand relays are the same, so you always have a spare:thumb2

In standard trim their hooligans bikes, mine had the 710 conversion and a 1/2 race cam fitted last Easter, it now lifts the front wheel in all 5 gears......as the 3 points on my license prove:rolleyes:

Yeah, I'm in CCMMAD, an excellent place for info and tips...much like here!
I've had numerous electrical problems since but at least I now know the loom intimately and I think that it was probably put together by the trainee school leaver. Problems like that aside, these are great machines and a lot of fun :D

I somehow manage to keep my front wheel (mostly) on the ground now thank's to a painful memory from around 30 years ago when I lost control on the back wheel and ended up crashing through the front door of a pub :blast and still have the scars and limp to prove it :cool:

I'm a happy (sometimes) 50 year old hooligan...

Did this get sorted?

I knew a chap who rode one for his daily rider as a river warden. I remember him saying the loom was too tight and would occasionally unplug part of the engine harness.

All fixed, see my 3rd post in this thread.

The loom in standard trim is pretty terrible and needs taken apart and tidied, also prone to rubbing through on the headstock so some padding required there.

The relays tend to vibrate loose and can have you scratching your brain at times but it's nothing a cable tie can't cure. All in all though, some good times for not a lot of cash.

Back
Top Bottom