Controlled decents

4kin-l..thats sounds extreme but i can see the logic.

K60'S are being fitted on friday...should make dealing with this stuff much better.

K60'S are being fitted on friday...should make dealing with this stuff much better.

Great, let me know which ward you'll be in and I'll bring grapes :D just kidding, good on you Blue :beerjug:

I think I know what you mean, you often cant pick an exact line, so rather than fight the bike you let it go where it wants to go in some places to then steer it in others so you go in the general direction you want to go, does that sound about right?

Yep - don't stress

On a steep descent the front brake is definitely the one that is going to stop you. When you carry out a steep descent in a controlled manner you can load the front tyre to the point where you can feel and hear the front start to lock up and then you just let it off again slightly. Clutch in of course.

I've not done the BMW course but have had a couple of days with Clive at MotoScotland.

We did plenty practise doing front lock ups on level ground so didn't bring the clutch in as we wanted the drive from the rear.

Obviously if your trying to slow down on a decent you won't want drive. But if you pull the clutch in your gonna loose all your engine braking causing the bike to speed up considerably when easing off the brake.

Sent from my S4 mini via tapatalk

Obviously if your trying to slow down on a decent you won't want drive. But if you pull the clutch in your gonna loose all your engine braking causing the bike to speed up considerably when easing off the brake.

Yep, the confusion of doing a course and not working stuff out. :D:eek:

I like to select a high gear and give it some revs, then I lock both arms at the elbow and shoulder so steering becomes Imposible and then look the opposite way to which you are travelling. Or is it the other way around.

I've not done the BMW course but have had a couple of days with Clive at MotoScotland.

We did plenty practise doing front lock ups on level ground so didn't bring the clutch in as we wanted the drive from the rear.

If you don't pull the clutch in you will stall. When you have slowed the bike enough with the engine braking and the front brake, you should be able to ease the clutch in and come to a stop on the front brake. Simples.........

If you don't pull the clutch in you will stall. When you have slowed the bike enough with the engine braking and the front brake, you should be able to ease the clutch in and come to a stop on the front brake. Simples.........
The thread ain't about coming to a stop (obviously you'd pull the clutch in for that, doh) the topic is about controlled decent, which won't be very controlled with the clutch in.

I reckon with all the advice given in this thread the OP should soon be able to make a decent descent.

The thread ain't about coming to a stop (obviously you'd pull the clutch in for that, doh) the topic is about controlled decent, which won't be very controlled with the clutch in.

Depends how slow you want to go.

So now we've got down. How do we get back up?:green gri

I like this type of thread :)
Keep your weight back then apply the rear brake with your heel? That's a great balancing act - top marks!

A few years ago, I attended the i2i off road training course. Tom advised us not to use the front brake at all during descents.
Last year, I did a taster enduro course provided by Dave Thorpe of Dave Thorpe Off Road - he advised that no one should use the front brake.
Meanwhile, Chris Scott's Adventure Motorcycling handbook advises to gently apply the front brake & use the clutch whilst keeping your weight back to control a steep ascent.

I concluded that each scenario is different as it all depends on the terrain, your tyres, your skills and how brave you are :)

Keep your weight back then apply the rear brake with your heel? That's a great balancing act - top marks!

I concluded that each scenario is different as it all depends on the terrain, your tyres, your skills and how brave you are :)

And who exactly suggested that?:blast

But you're right in the 2nd sentence, which is exactly the point being made.

P

And there, ladies and gentlemen, is the truth! I purposely haven't joined in this thread until now, for similar reasons that some who have, now wish they hadn't! Teaching someone riding skills over the Internet is as easy as herding cats. Some advice will work for you, some will not. Some techniques will work for you, some will not. The correct technique, incorrectly applied, or misunderstood, will not work. All these variables are hard enough to convey when stood at the side of someone, on the bike they're riding, on the surface their struggling with, and looking down the hill they're scared of, but at least there is a tangible experience there to learn from. Words on a page don't cut it in this scenario. If you can remember half of them when the crunch comes, you'll be lucky.
All in my humble opinion, obviously. :D
Mark

P

And there, ladies and gentlemen, is the truth! I purposely haven't joined in this thread until now, for similar reasons that some who have, now wish they hadn't! Teaching someone riding skills over the Internet is as easy as herding cats. Some advice will work for you, some will not. Some techniques will work for you, some will not. The correct technique, incorrectly applied, or misunderstood, will not work. All these variables are hard enough to convey when stood at the side of someone, on the bike they're riding, on the surface their struggling with, and looking down the hill they're scared of, but at least there is a tangible experience there to learn from. Words on a page don't cut it in this scenario. If you can remember half of them when the crunch comes, you'll be lucky.
All in my humble opinion, obviously. :D
Mark

And there endeth the lesson................;)

All very true, it's more about 'feel' in real life, than theory..................coupled with what bike you're riding and the surface - feck all resistance on wet grass, to quite a bit on rocks (albeit they do move around a bit:D)

Back
Top Bottom