Modifications and cover quotes

bisbee

VIGILUM
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Trying to get cover for a bike with modifications would seem to be a minefield
Now I suppose there could be two categories considered ie those that enhance performance and those which are cosmetic
I'm not really sure where that leaves panniers?
Anyway I was hoping to get a view from 'The Collective' regarding the above and perhaps any positive experiences with recent quotes from Insurance Companies for modified bikes :nenau

In the past when I've added panniers, it makes no difference to the premium, but if the bike gets stolen/written off, then they would have to pay out for the panniers.

I got insurance from BikeSure (AKA Adrian Flux) for my modded ZZR600. They didn't run away screaming when I mentioned the mods (N2O kit and heated grips). Yes the premium went up, but I expected that.

The distinction is whether its an accessory or a modification.
I would say both are best declared and let them make the decision. There is one insurer I spotted that covered the most popular modifications free but cant remember who it was now, it might have been bennetts. But for some reason they were significantly more expensive for the 1150gs than my 11rt...weird.

I always make sure I have pillion cover, and also cover to ride other bikes. Pillion cover has never cost any extra, but I think it's stupid that you have to ask for it. I suppose many bikers never take pillions. Have you seen the rear "seat" on a sports bike :eek: :eek: :eek:

When I take out cover for my car I don't need to declare that I'll be carrying passengers :nenau:nenau

When I take out cover for my car I don't need to declare that I'll be carrying passengers :nenau:nenau

Brcause the passengers in your car are (relatively) safe. Unlike the pillion on a bike, who generally come off worse than the pilot. That is unless the pillion grabs out for something as they catapult forward and fly through the air... That something is often the pilot's head.

Brcause the passengers in your car are (relatively) safe. Unlike the pillion on a bike, who generally come off worse than the pilot. That is unless the pillion grabs out for something as they catapult forward and fly through the air... That something is often the pilot's head.

Actually, statistically it's the rider that generally comes off worse than the pillion.

You see, it's not the injuries to you (the pilot) that your insurer is bothered about, as those are not covered. It's the injuries to the pillion that trouble them, as they are covered, under the strict liability rules pertaining to Motor insurance. The pillion sues the pilot for injuries sustained, the pilot's insurer pays.

If a bike comes with 2 seats as standard, then you shouldn't have to declare that you might/maybe/will be carrying passengers.

I don't have to declare that I'll be carrying goods in my van (LGV). I don't have to declare I will be carrying passengers in my car.

Back
Top Bottom