TCX Infinity Fail

Colin1958

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi All,

On the advice of many of this forum, I bought a pair of TCX Infinity Goretex boots. I do a lot of wet riding, and I just want to guarantee dry feet.

Well, yesterday it rained a lot. We had some cats, some dogs and a fair few stair rods. Sufficeth to say I got wet feet.

To say I was unimpressed would be a massive understatement. Two and a half hours with wet feet in a pair of boots that cost me £249.99.

Insert many, many swearwords here.

First it was the left toe, followed shortly by the rest of the foot and then the right gave up. If I wanted to ride with wet feet I could go back to my Spada ST1s which cost way less than half the TCX price.

I won't bother talking about the brand-new waterproof gloves - I'll save that for the rant section.

Never had wet feet in them I have had two pairs and done thousands of miles,Rode in some serious storms,always bone dry,Send them back and get another pair, normally not a problem(not on mine at least lol)I have found them a great boot

Dave :thumb

I'm on my 3rd pair (bought last year in September) in about approx 7 years. I also found that my latest pair is leaking, but only had it once, maybe twice. It's not a permanent problem.

But to say the least these will be my last TCX boots, the next will be Alpinestars Toucan (I don't fit Sidi).

I decided to have a go at fixing my leaky Hein Gericke TRG boots (same as BMW Savanna, Oxtar/TCX Infinity etc) and it wasn't that difficult:

Step 1: Unpick the seam along the top edge of the boot liner where it meets the vertical 'tongue' part that you fold inside the clips. Remove the boot insole piece.
Step 2: Invert the liner through the now open seam, like turning a sock inside out. It is stuck down on the sole bottom but can be carefully teased up with fingers.
Step 3: Inspect the liners bonded goretex coating for the source of the leak (in my case just a tiny hole about 3mm diameter, really surprising how wet my foot gets).
Step 4: Buy a GoreTex repair kit from Blacks, Millets etc for £7. Trim down a self adhesive Goretex patch and put over the hole (like a puncture repair patch), press firmly.

Once repaired, put the liner back inside as it should be and sew up the seam by hand. Refit the insole.

Easy peasy, and nice not to throw away a decent pair of comfy boots for the sake of £7 and an hour of your time. My boots are years old yet are still good for many more years of service now the leak is fixed.

Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom