Separated from the newbike

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamieg7762

Reaction score
So just after 3 weeks of ownership of my brand new f800 gs adv, with every option possible on it, we have been separated.

All courteous of a 65 year old lady that couldn't see me coming, even though I had a fluorescent yellow suit on and my led aux lights. She pulled straight out in front of me, I managed to swerve to the right a bit but still collided with her rear quarter panel. He bumper hit my engine protection bar which took the front wheel from underneath me.

The bike went down with me on it, we slide for about 10 to 15ft up the road.

Left side of the bike is a mess, I am all bruised and very sore, but no broken bones. Luckily I was only doing roughly 30mph at the time due to heavy traffic and the weather.

So just after 3 weeks of ownership of my brand new f800 gs adv, with every option possible on it, we have been separated.

All courteous of a 65 year old lady that couldn't see me coming, even though I had a fluorescent yellow suit on and my led aux lights. She pulled straight out in front of me, I managed to swerve to the right a bit but still collided with her rear quarter panel. He bumper hit my engine protection bar which took the front wheel from underneath me.

The bike went down with me on it, we slide for about 10 to 15ft up the road.

Left side of the bike is a mess, I am all bruised and very sore, but no broken bones. Luckily I was only doing roughly 30mph at the time due to heavy traffic and the weather.

Oh dear .... sorry to be hearing this Jamie :eek:

You'll mend pretty soon I hope :thumb

There'll be someone along soon to let you know that dayglow jackets and aux lights don't put a bubble of safety around ya ... if no one does I'll pop back in again sometime soon and remind you :D

Micky
:beerjug:

Had the same thing a few weeks ago. Did a nice somersault over a Range Rover bonnet - thankfully barely any damage to the bike in my case.

Glad you're OK. At the end of the day with these things, the bikes are insured and can be fixed. Hope you get it sorted without too much fuss.

Glad you're in one piece!

Witnesses and insurance all "ducks in a row"??

Get the bike sorted or replaced and get back out into traffic as soon as you can - and ensure you use this 'off' as a learning experience - don't make the same mistake again!!

I thought these GS's were supposed to be "Unstoppable"!!!

:thumby:

Lots of witnesses saying they couldnt believe she pulled out.

Yep, licences, insurance, etc all confirmed by the police.

First accident in 12 years of riding, have been doing roughly 20,000 miles a year for the last 3 years. Only traded in the 1200 adventure 3 weeks ago to get this, she would have bounced off me as she was in a vw polo if I still had that.

Getting a replacement bike delivered Monday, just hope all the stiffness has gone by then so I can ride it.

The old dear said she was sorry, I responded with " I'm OK, your of, no broken bones so don't worry, metal and plastic can be repaired"

She thanked me for not shouting and swearing at her, good job she couldn't read my mind.

Poor dear was upset enough without me shouting at her.

Its good that apart from bruises and sprains you dont have a broken back or bones sticking out
Problem is she might do it again
to be honest the insurance will sort everything out
don't you think maybe she needs to be tested throughly to make sure shes ok to drive
eyesight reaction time
She could have been texting or adjusting the radio you will never know
hope you get it sorted and some compo for your injurys

What chance have we on bikes when some drivers can't even see an artic approaching. I've just got back from downloading CCTV footage taken from one of my customers trucks which have cameras recording front,back,o/s and n/s. His driver was driving along an urban dual carriageways when a car pulls out of a n/s road when the truck was 10 metres or so away doing 30 mph :blast

Not sure if the police are pursuing a driving without due care and attention, not only did she not see me, she didn't hear my horn that I was sounding from roughly 10ft away.

There was a fatality about 200 meters away other same road just the day before. A van pulled out infrastructure of a bike on the straight stretch of the dual carriageway.

Reports are that the bike was bouncing off the Rev limiter in second gear when the incident happened, the bike was a gxer 1000, so doing roughly 100 mph at time of impact.

The sports bike crumpled and the rider died on impact, they could only tell it watch gxer 1000 from the colours and the red number.

Still not got the bike back yet, waiting for 15 parts which are on back order with BMW.

One of the parts is the rear sub assembly

Lucky not to break any bones and here to talk about it.
You are going for an 800 again too. You must like them?

I the brief 3 weeks that I had it I began to love it, changed the tyres and was just getting the suspension set up nice.

It took a bit of time to grow on me after the 1200gsa, but that is because they are awesome.

Need a couple of long trips away on the 800 gsa to get to really like her.

IF the bike wasnt 3 weeks old and worth so much they would have wrote it off. The repair bill is roughly £7k from that I have been told.

Bike is now back

So after 2 1/2 months of seperation I now have the bike back and she looks brand new again, well she was only 3 weeks old when we was seperated.

The repair company have done a brilliant job for me and I am very happy with the work they have carried out.

Now just need to get riding her again :thumb

Fuggin insurance companies…. you pay your fee based on the price of replacing the bike and, especially when the damage isn't your fault, they scrimp on your claim. 3 weeks old? You deserved a new replacement bike and her insurance should have footed the bill. I had this same thing happen a couple of years ago when my car was written off when it was parked outside the house. Insurance only wanted to pay me bottom book, even though it was non fault on my part - scumbag was prosecuted, banned etc - and they were going to claim it all back. I'd paid my premium based on top book price and deserved a top book payout but, i didn't get one. As i said, fuggin insurance companies… they're only interested in making sure 'all' of their payouts are kept to a minimum, so as to keep their profits high and their shareholders happy.:anger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom