ITS HERE S1000XR

Priced in according to :
Multistrada 1200 £12,995
Multistrada 1200S red £15,595
Multistrada 1200S white £15,795

KTM 1290 SA, 160bhp and 103 ft.lb. And it has got all the toys. Wait a year or two and buy it as a demo model. The XR looks ok but the luggage puts me off. You need space when you tour with the missus. It will be a nice to have but the GSA and 1290 makes my short list along with the 1600GT.

I hope Givi make some racks for it to take the V35 panniers I had on my K1300, they'll work as long as I can use a big enough top box. But anyway I will get where I am going quicker so I'll have time to go to the shops!

I think BMW are covering a hole in the market.
A good friend of mine bought a Triumph Explorer this year, he tried all the various ADV bikes ( not the Versys too ugly) and thought the Aprilia Caponord was the most comfortable, best suspension and best ergos. So why didn't he buy it?.............It's a TWIN CYLINDER, he can't stand them and especially the GS. He cannot fathom why anybody would want to buy one, the roughest engine, the worst gearbox and worst fuelling (his words).
His previous bike was a K1300s which he loved, but, as like a lot of us here he is starting to crumble and needs a different riding position
I am sure if the s1000xr was around it would have been a serious contender.

I think BMW are covering a hole in the market.
A good friend of mine bought a Triumph Explorer this year, he tried all the various ADV bikes ( not the Versys too ugly) and thought the Aprilia Caponord was the most comfortable, best suspension and best ergos. So why didn't he buy it?.............It's a TWIN CYLINDER, he can't stand them and especially the GS. He cannot fathom why anybody would want to buy one, the roughest engine, the worst gearbox and worst fuelling (his words).
I am sure if the s1000xr was around it would have been a serious contender.

Agreed, a gap in the BMW stable..
Also, I'm glad this was posted in the WC section as I would never have found it in its current location..
I'm sure it's gonna need a section of its own eventually

Having enjoyed the S1000 naked which has great fuelling, ballistic acceleration and snick snick gearbox plus the option of smooth and fun quickshift this bike will sell. It will be light and agile, fun and fast.

But and there is a BIG BUT. The Japanese competition have 100's of multi 4's at much lower prices and ,typically, better build integrity. So will the premium price ( S1000R with suspension and quickshifter is £11500 iirc so this will be £13500 plus plus) be a stumbling block to sales???

No, because the BMW BRAND has power to attract and keep customers.......look at all the GS buyers who repurchase despite all the irritating problems....final drive failures, gear change woes, brake servo failure, leaking seals, engine/gearbox/clutch changes blah blah.....yes, thats me!

Here comes another and I have to say, I like the look of this..

http://www.yamahamotorsports.com/sport/products/modelhome/721/0/home.aspx

img.jpg

It's got a chain so I'm out:blast

My FD and shaft recently cost me nearly £700 to overhaul so to me a chain sounds like a great idea.

When can we have a small link double row chain running in a sealed case. Hey that sounds just like a Japanese bike primary drive.

Hmm, 190 section rear hoop, sporty and expensive for touring, what options are out there for touring tyres in that size?

My R1's tyre was toast after 2.5k miles @ £180 a pop!

Hmm, 190 section rear hoop, sporty and expensive for touring, what options are out there for touring tyres in that size?

My R1's tyre was toast after 2.5k miles @ £180 a pop!

Plenty of R-1 owners using PR3 and Roadsmarts and not principally for touring. If you want the sharper profile - go for the Roadsmart, but I believe the Pilot Road will last longer.

Al

S1000XR with an Italian sitting on it....

and another Italian sitting on it....

R1200R white and red model....

the headlight is a no no for me, a generational thing.

so I've seen it in flesh. Very good looking bike, although I have my reservation to rubbery plastics at front and at sides of the bike. They are extremely easy to leave marks and scratches. I'm not sure how it will look after first trip on motorway and cleaning all splattered bugs...

While taking to one of BMW chaps, I mentioned to him that topbox mounting on XR looks very similar to GS's, so he said: Let's try....and here is the result....

(quality of pics is terrible, I know, but my smartphone battery died, so I had to use my old Blackberry).

L7nJyaM.jpg

tsXnK20.jpg

3LxRkxt.jpg

It's good news to all of you who will want to swap from GS to XR (like me). I only hope that BMW will not make a trick and change something on production bikes.

Back
Top Bottom