Pacific Northwest & Yellowstone Sept 2014

Bill, the motel in John Day is definitely not 3 star and is one of the cheaper chains in the US. They are generally great value but that particular one is really good and we always stop there on my Alaska trips.:thumb2 Most motels are now very biker friendly as we are the guys keeping them in business.

It was a really pity about Crater Lake as it was their first rain in 4 months and boy did they need it. Normally, it's lovely up there but this time it was just above freezing and sheeting down with rain. 2 days later is was crystal clear:blast

You're right Chris, of course. To be fair we'd been incredibly lucky with the weather up to that point. 1 bad day in 3 weeks is pretty good organisation on your part IMO. :D

Friday 26th September 2014

Mineral village to Santa Rosa via Chico & Clearlake. Highway 32, I5 & Highway 29.

Well, it's a sad day today, our last day on the road. We have a couple of choices, either make our own way back to Santa Rosa or go with Chris for 1 final day of sight seeing.
I took the former option, my OCD wouldn't allow me to do anything else and I was keen to get the bike back, unloaded & washed. I couldn't have left it till the following morning, then have to get to the bus to the airport.

This was the 1st day on the trip where I'd had to fend for myself & I made a right pigs ear of it. Every other day Chris had suggested decent places to eat en route so today I decided to 'wing it'. The hotel restaurant didn't open until 0900 hrs & I was away before that & was pretty certain I'd find something fairly quickly. The ride into Chico was excellent, lovely views again & the weather was terrific, I was the happiest boy in the warm Californian sun.
A quick fuel stop saw me pulling into the fuel station as Pete & Geoff were just disappearing up the road. Chico looked to be relatively large so I by-passed it, I was used to privately run cafes in smaller towns and National Chain restaurants didn't appeal to me any more.

I was on the I5 in no time. Bugger. Okay I'll see what options the roadside advertising hoardings offer me. Not much other than National Chains again. Double bugger. So I kept going to the turn off for Highway 29. There's bound to be something along here & bingo! I was right, there was - as soon as I turned off the Interstate. Result.
Arse. It's just a fecking petrol station & the 'Great Hot Food' I'd seen advertised was in fact microwave fare, the type of which you can get anywhere.

I could have retraced my steps & gone into the small town of Williams which was no more than 3 miles away but oh no, I knew better than that. So I rode on. Within a few more miles there was finally a family run restaurant where I could get something decent to eat, it looked pretty quiet but that's not so unusual after all it was mid morning and I was on an empty road. I pulled into the car park ready for my final Road Trip feast congratulating myself on my excellent Adventurer skills. Closed. Not just closed, but closed, closed, as in shut down & derelict closed. Where's Chris when you need him?
I had no choice now other than carrying on. I know America has areas of vast desert but none of them can possibly compare with this. In 3 weeks I've never seen such a wilderness of refreshment.
Hang on though, what's this. There's a place at the junction for Clearlake, it's set off the road, up a small track but it's definitely A) A restaurant & B) Open. Sorted. Pah, who needs Bilco? Not me, not 'Will of the Wild', oh no. Follow me chaps, I'll see you right. I entered the restaurant with a slight swagger, chest puffed out. "Can I help you sir?" asked the lady at the door. "You sure can, I'd like a table for one, some English Muffins, coffee & a glass of your finest orange juice please". A quick look round as I was giving my confident reply showed that I had done rather well. This was a plush place and I had it to myself. No other diners and just the one 'waitress'. Oh yes, I will do well here.
"I'm sorry sir, we're not open yet. And we're a private members club". Talk about bursting my balloon.

So Clearlake it was. Clearlake sounds lovely but trust me it's not. With all due respect to the people of Clearlake it's a dump. As I rode through there was a dearth of cafes but eventually I found this place, which was the polar opposite of everything around it. It was clean, modern & warm a real gem of a place.

The old girl in charge was fabulous. She clearly knew everyone else in the restaurant & despite having 1 leg noticeably shorter than the other she was tearing about like a woman possessed. There was no way anyone was leaving without saying goodbye to her & if you were a bloke a big hug was the minimum expectation, more often than not she required a peck on the cheek before letting you out. Once again I ordered my staple fare of English Muffins, Kwaffee & Orange Juice. Once again the muffins & coffee arrived, once again the orange juice didn't (this happened quite a few times on the trip so I'd come to expect it by now). As I was tucking into my muffins the owner came over "How was your orange juice?". "Oh it hasn't actually arrived yet.". "I know!" she laughed, "That's why I asked!". She was terribly apologetic & wobbled off to fetch it for me. As she put it down she leant close & apologised again "Would you like some champagne to go with that, compliments of the house by way of an apology?" she whispered. "I'd love to but I'm afraid I'm on the motorbike" I said - pointing at the bike jacket & crash helmet on the seat beside me. "I KNOW" she guffawed, "That's why I asked!".
She was lovely, a real character & an absolute star.

The ride back to Santa Rosa took in some more fantastic roads but I got stuck behind a lorry doing 15 miles an hour UP every hill & 115 mph DOWN every hill. No worries, I'd got this far round without getting a tug on the ear from Plod I wasn't going to risk anything now. Unlike Glyn who got pulled over for speeding less than 20 miles from Santa Rosa on the same road.
He got away with it though as it turned out the copper had just used the 'speeding' thing as an excuse to stop him, he was actually intrigued by the Glyn's no. plate & wanted to know more. Once he'd established it was a British plate he entered into conversation with Glyn & Sandra. He recognised their accent as Scottish & regaled them with stories of his Scottish ancestory. All well & good but Glyn's more Yorkshire than Yorkshire Tea & Geoffrey Boycott. 'Appen.

As I rolled back into Santa Rosa BMW the welcoming committee was out.

These are 2 American Pit Bulls owned by the people at BMW Santa Rosa & they are just the loveliest dogs. The grey one is the smaller of the 2 but she doesn't half dominate the other poor dog who's half as big again.

One by one the others who's decided to make their own way back rolled in

Mark & Jo.

Tony & Sue

Dean

Glyn

Pete & Geoff

and Andy

The dealership owner kindly took us to our hotel in his minibus but as we were arriving the weather gave way & the heavens opened; I was immediately winged back to the ride from Bend to Crater Lake.

The others, who had gone with Chris had been caught in a few showers during the course of the day but I'm not sure if they managed to avoid this particular downpour.

The hotel was lovely, on another occasion I could happily stay here for a few days.

Out of the window there was a rainbow. I gather this is an unusual event around here, I overheard one local telling her friend that she'd lived in California for 45 years & this was the 1st one she'd seen.
It seemed entirely appropriate though. 3 weeks ago I'd started the trip under a cloud of gloom & after 5,300 miles of utter bliss I'd arrived at the end of the rainbow.

We all, bar Geoff, had a meal at a steak house up the road (ribs for me though this time, huzzahs!) where we joined by Chris' cousin James. He's a top kid. It was a good way to end the trip. I was sitting with Sandra & Glyn which was just a delight. The conversation centreing on Glyn's choice of main course was pure comedy & reminded me of what I was going home to tomorrow & how lucky I was to be doing so. Sandra & Sarah, seperated at birth. :D

Just as I was nodding off back at my hotel room I heard a familiar voice shouting 'Oh fcuk it' followed by a loud splash. There were 3 people in the pool. I have names & I have photos, but I will say no more...........

Saturday 20th September

Homeward bound.

A nice lie in, breakfast at the hotel restaurant. Some of the others have left early to make a day of it in San Francisco, others are waiting for the taxi they've booked to take them to the airport.
I'd opted for the shuttle bus which left at 12:30. The taxi driver from the hotel to the shuttle bus pick up point regaled me with his forthright views on Blacks, Mexicans & any other immigrants that came to mind & happily declared that he hadn't paid a penny in tax for as long as he'd been working.

Sam & Paul had dropped their bikes off at the dealership this morning & came straight to the bus from there.

Pete, Chris & Jo were staying on for a few more days.

There were little clusters of us scattered round the airport before our various flights winged us back home to our families & loved ones.

I couldn't wait to get there.......

Thursday 8th January 2015

Final thoughts.

"I should be excited but I'm not. I'm fed up. Really fed up.
I don't want to go. I just don't want to go.
It's already cost me more money than I can afford & I've got over £2k in my wallet that I know I won't be bringing back.
I'm going with a group of strangers I've only met very briefly and I really don't do people.
The older I get the less I like being away from home & this is not far short of 4 weeks away, in total.
I'm going to miss Sarah & I'm going to miss the kids."

Well it's taken a long time to get this report done but I wanted to try to do the trip justice. I'm not sure I've managed that & I apologise for the rambling prose & abundance of photos (trust me though there could have been soooo many more of those).

"I'm fed up. Really fed up." - Not any more I'm not. I really appreciate everything that I have. This world of ours is a stunning place & we're just an insignificant speck in the dust that swirls around. I'm blessed to be passing through & even more blessed to have seen what I've seen & done what I've done.

"I don't want to go. I just don't want to go." - I want to go back & I want to see more.

"It's already cost me more money than I can afford & I've got over £2k in my wallet that I know I won't be bringing back." The trip cost me around £6k in total & was worth every penny of it and more. The £2k cash that I took covered petrol, food, Park entrance fees, drink and most of the hotels. It also covered the cost of a 6,000 mile service on the bike which I had done by the good folk of Santa Rosa BMW. But it bought me so much more than that; chiefly a completely new attitude to life.
And I brought £100 back. :D

"I'm going with a group of strangers I've only met very briefly and I really don't do people." What can I say? I'm sure it's apparent how wonderful these 'strangers' were. It was a delight to be with them. I would go anywhere with any/all of them at the drop of a hat. I really hope to see them again. :hogroast

"The older I get the less I like being away from home & this is not far short of 4 weeks away, in total." - 4 weeks? Not long enough. When we got back to Santa Rosa Dean asked me what I would say if Chris said "Right, another 3 weeks - away we go". My reply was simple enough, if I had Sarah with me I'd be the first one on the grid. And I meant it.

"I'm going to miss Sarah & I'm going to miss the kids." - Well at least I got 1 bit right...........

Thanx to Chris Biltcliffe who organised the whole thing. He put together a fantastic holiday, nay experience, that opened my eyes to so many things I'd closed them to previously. Hotels I wouldn't look twice at, cafes I wouldn't step into, people I would pass by without acknowledging & sights & roads I didn't know existed. Would I go back & do the whole thing again? Like a shot. Would I go on another of Chris' holidays? You bet. Thanx Chris you're a star. :bow

A final word of thanks for the help & support I've had from everyone at home - you know who you are. :thumb:

Bill, you have done a great job with the trip report :thumb2 Reading it has helped me and Sue and no doubt the rest of the trip members to re-call and re-live it so thankyou for taking the time and making the effort :beerjug:.

By the way, we did much the same thing on the last day on the road in that we left without brekkie thinking we would get somewhere, as usual along the way; there was nowt which was quite amazing :nenau

Oh. yes and another thing ssshh. can i have copies of the pool piccys please? :augie

Great write up Bill, really enjoyed it.
Haven't been to the USA for ages, it's certainly brought it back to me how good the scenery is.

Thanks for making the effort to post - I know it's a lot of work.

That was a cracking read, well done for taking the time.:thumb I know the work that goes into these reports.

One day, I'd love to go on one of these trips. Not for a few years though.:comfort:p

Great Memories

I was one of Chris"s Guinea Pigs on his first coast to coast trip back in 2010, reading this has made me want to go again, excellent ride report, really enjoyed reading it.

:beerjug:

Thanks from another Bilco soldier ,
Enjoyed reading your report !!
Interesting seeing the motel/pool at Santa Rosa in heavy rain, We were about melted:eek:

What a great report to what looked like an amazing trip....i started reading this thread at just after 6pm and as i was getting to the end found myself thinking i hope its finished so i dont have to wait for the next instalment. And thankfully you finished it this afternoon :thumb2:thumb2

Looks like everyone had a ball and am looking forward to chris' coast to coast trip later this year :)

Thanx for the feedback chaps, very kind.

Those of you who've been on one of Chris' trips will understand my enthusiasm.

Shedboy - you're going to have a great time, I've seen the itinerary & if I could have got the time off work I'd have been there with you.

Nutty - Do it. :D

Good effort Bill, Judith and I enjoyed your take on the trip and appreciate the time you've put in to this RR. Our experiences and expectations were often different to yours but that just sums up the vastness of the US (and the fact that we don't suffer from a personality disorder:D) Your photo's were especially appreciated, as U turning 2 up on an overladen GSA to bag a shot of something we passed was not popular with either rider or pillion!

Whilst it is 'your' RR and details things from your perspective, statements such as "When I saw him earlier it was on a short twisty hilly section of road so we had a race*, my ESA set to 2 up with luggage wallowey mode & Steve's set to 1 up, Moto GP mode. I whipped him, catching & passing him in no time despite giving him an initial lead of a few hundred yards. ESA point proved I think chaps, let's end the debate there eh?" are obviously pure fantasy on your part:D I remember the stretch of road well, very tight and twisty turns following a river valley through the forest, I saw you in the mirror and said to Judith at the time, "Bills behind us, wallowing all over the road on his wrongly set up ESA" She insisted we pulled in to a layby so you could pass safely without taking us both out:thumby:

I look forward to another little prose after your trip to Spain in March

Well done that man! Bill - credit where's credit's due, this is a great account of the holiday.:101

Whereas many of us have kept (to a larger degree) our memories of the trip private, or committed them to paper or private blogs, you've gone proper public! In so doing you've created an account of the holiday that will live forever on the interweb. I have particularly loved your attention to animals. Whilst an animal-lover myself, I would never have put this much effort in, and it has been thoroughly enjoyable. I've never read another holiday blog where the livestock stands shoulder-to-shoulder with the participants!

I will expect to see you nominated for a Literary Award later this year! Who knows?! Maybe even the Man Booker Prize!:D

Bill, that was a brilliant RR mate and really brought to life the trip. Some of those pics are superb:thumb2

I think the ride report "gets" and you "got" perfectly the idea of my trips. I'll get you out there, take the horse to water if you will, and then you have figure the country out yourself. Out of 60 people I have taken on my trips, I think everyone (bar 1) has changed their initial pre conceived ideas about the good ol' USA and has come back with a fresh and new outlook on that great country. I think on this trip, there were more US virgins than I've taken before and it's brilliant to know that everyone now see's what I can see and I think I'm getting these trips more or less right:D.

Glad you enjoyed it old son, I really appreciate the very kind kind words (it really means a lot when I know people had a blast and say thank you) and once again, a great ride report:thumb2

Bill, can't believe I've not seen this before - a great report, really enjoyed reading it :beerjug:

And Chris, funny what you said above. Amanda and I went out to the States for the first time 4 years ago and both had our preconceptions blown out of the water. I never thought I'd like it but came back in love with the place :) [1]

Andres

[1] Amanda and I did a little road trip on our way to Vegas to get married and Chris very kindly sorted a brilliant itinerary for us.

Just a wee bit from me:
thoroughly enjoyed everyone's company and I have to say - every day and even mile...

I have (like many) a manic job and this was the first time for years I have thought sod it and not thought about it...

Mind you - I was out there for 5 weeks in all:) so that helped... Greta RR Bill - and if you are ever over here - call me!

Anyone have the full trip log / map of where we went - I just switch off and forgot really :)

I have this though from the little tracker I bought off Bakerman... (when I turned it on) good to know Mrs Newboy was worried after a fortnight or so lol
https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.ph...Factor=20&zoomLevel=10&showWeather=no&units=F

That was a really great ride report Bil :thumbl. Sam suggested I read it the other day, telling me it was a really good write up, and she was right. Im a little sad that its over, rather like finishing reading a good book. Maybe you should go on another trip so I can read about that one? Top stuff :thumb2

Thanx Steve. It seem like a long time ago now but was a brilliant trip with some wonderful people. I'm disappointed not to be able to join them on this year's jaunt but absolutely intend doing another of Chris' trips as soon as I can.

Back
Top Bottom