Pacific Northwest & Yellowstone Sept 2014

Ordinarily before I go on holiday I research & research as I hate the idea of missing anything along the way. This can take some of the pleasure out of a trip a degree as you've already seen what you're going to be seeing, if you see what I mean? But this was different. The route was pre-determined(ish) & the mileages meant we had little option other than go from A to B and enjoy whatever we stumbled across; there was little time for lengthy excursions. Besides which, Chris had done all of the hard work for us.

Consequently I had no idea to expect when I got here. But what a place. I had vague recollections of the volcano going 'pop' some years ago & that was it. Turns out there was a little bit more to it than that. In essence half a mountain was blown away by the eruption with the consequent death & destruction you might expect with such brutal force.

Where once there had been a full mountain there was now 2/3rd of a mountain. You can clearly see the crater that was created by the explosion.

and for the short sighted amongst you, here it is again

The lava flows had torn up enormous trees & destroyed everything in their path.

I stood & listened to one of the Rangers (horrible name that BTW) giving a fascinating talk about the explosion & the events leading up to it. This included a an actual recording of one of the observers final words before the lave flow swallowed him up, very moving indeed. There was also a honeymooning couple camping in the next valley where they thought they would be safe, but unfortunately they died as well. No jokes here about the earth moving for them, as that would be inappropriate and tasteless which is not my style (cough).
I spent much longer here than I thought I would & thoroughly enjoyed it. It's worth a full day on it's own some time as you can do guided trail walks right up to the mountain itself, we were about 5 miles away I think.
Eventually Sandra (in the red) & Glyn joined us. Again, 2 of the nicest, people I've ever met (are you spotting a theme here?).

They were a little delayed as Sandra had spotted a bird of prey on the way up & taken a snap. She was so thrilled. Even though it was actually a crow. :comfort

Time to head off but not before I had a fabulous hot dog from the burger van in the car park - yum.

You'll see from the photo above just how few vehicles there are in the car park. When you factor in that some of these belong to the Rangers (there's that horrible word again) & people working in the observatory you'll see why the up felt like my own private racetrack. The ride down was even better than the ride up, I just concentrated on enjoying myself & didn't worry about photos until I got near to the bottom.

:augie

I don't quite know what to say about this picture :augie.

I liked the look of this place for something to eat

but wasn't tempted by anything on the menu. I'm didn't fancy Elkburger & I'm not putting anyone's cobblers anywhere near my mouth, thank you very much. :eek:

It was here that I saw my 1st bear & cub of the trip. :beerjug:

We were heading from here to Burlington. The initial plan was to go via the Olympic Peninsula but it had been suggested that as we had spent so long at the Observatory, there was a strong risk that we wouldn't make the ferry across from there to the wherever it went into. We decided, therefore to crack on to Burlington via the 505, the I5 & Seattle.
Along the way we picked up Birget & Dean. Birget was especially disappointed to have missed the Olympic Peninsula as this was part of the trip she was really looking forward to.
As we made our way along the I5 the traffic got heavier & heavier. 5 lanes of very slow moving traffic that started 60 miles from Seattle. We stopped at Tacoma for a 'comfort break' a sandwich & some fuel and it was decided that I should lead the way due to my superior riding skills. :augie. And the fact that Paul had more trust in my Sat Nav than he had his own at that stage. :)
The traffic through Seattle was particularly heavy, hitting it at the start of rush hour didn't help, but the 'congestion lane' they have for motorcyclists or cars with 2 people helped us ease our way through. I really like big cities. I like the buzz & energy that come from them. Going through Seattle was great, we may have missed the Olympic Peninsula but I didn't mind too much. In it's own way this was a super experience. We also passed the Boeing factory on the way into Seattle. When I say 'factory' you can read 'small town' - it's absolutely huge. We went past the stadium where the Seattle Seahawks, the current Supwerbowl Champions play. As a sports fan I like to see any stadia so this was another plus for me.
Unfortunately not having a camera mount meant I couldn't take any photos. Shame. Next time hopefully.

When we got to The Cocusa Motel, Burlington we were very surprised to see that we were the 1st group of the party there. The others had left Mount Saint Helens well before us, apart from Chris & Jo who were behind us. I fretted for some time, genuinely concerned that something terrible had happened, until they all eventually arrived together, having caught the ferry successfully, I could now breathe easily. Chris had decided that he & Jo would take it after all & had caught it no problem. Tony & Sue (fantastic people as well BTW) had only caught it by the skin of their teeth but they all agreed that it had been a great experience. I didn't mind as I had enjoyed the 'Seattle Experience' but I did feel sorry for poor Birget:comfort.

Paul went out of his way to thank me for leading the way through the Seattle traffic, something I appreciated more than I realised until I started writing this report & reflecting on the trip & the people I'd been with. Up until now I'd sort of felt a little bit like a spare part. Now I felt like a team player, I'd made a contribution rather than just 'taking'. Everyone had been so lovely it was nice to give something back, however small.

Being 1st to arrive meant that I could exorcise the bee in my bonnet that had been carrying since I'd read the reviews of this hotel which were frankly shocking, so much so that I had bought a sleeping bag & pillow case with me. I insisted on seeing the room before checking in (the 1st time I've ever done this) & although it stank it wasn't as bad as I feared it might be. We checked in, my Irishness was questioned until I showed my passport, & I went to the room & opened both external doors to get rid of the foul smell. Once I'd done this & removed the 2 dead cockroaches from the floor & 1 from my sheets the room was actually pretty good. I'd been worrying about nothing really. Glyn & Sandra, however, got the room that appeared to have attracted the unfavourable reviews on Trip Advisor which was a shame for them.

Dean & I watched one of those enormous trains pass in front of the hotel (the trains were going all night apparently but I didn't hear them) counting 99 carriages which played havoc with my OCD, before those of us who had arrived early, together with Steve & the lovely Judith, went looking for something to eat in Burlington. Earlier on in the report I suggested that my 1st impression of Steve was that he seemed okay. I was wrong, just like virtually everyone else on this trip he is a top, top banana & someone I could happily spend time with.
We decided on a Chinese restaurant (The China Wok) & although we were the only customers which is not usually a good sign, the food was fantastic. The chicken wings did cause something of a contretemps (a lesson learned on my part for the rest of trip) but I wasn't going to let that spoil what had been another fantastic day in the saddle. :thumb2

Just for Bill, one of the Rangers:D

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 436
Olympic Peninsular?? Apart from avoiding the traffic you didn't miss much Bill. Well apart from the best Goddam milkshakes on the western seaboard, son:jager

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 440
Thanx Steve.
I don't feel I missed out too much in that case.

Milk shakes? :barf

Rangers? :barf:barf:barf

Olympic Peninsular?? Apart from avoiding the traffic you didn't miss much Bill. Well apart from the best Goddam milkshakes on the western seaboard, son:jager

Those cracking shakes would have been wasted on him Steve:thumb

However. he may have liked the truck parked outside the milkshake bar!!

Attachments

• Black Ford F250Truck.jpg
    Black Ford F250Truck.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 429
Now those I do like. :thumb2

I was lucky enough to get a lift in one later on in the trip. :D

Wasn't Pete (Newboy) on about buying one over here when he got back?

good going Bill. keep it up :thumb2

a piccy of you being a tourist at Mt. St. Helens visitor centre with a very informative interactive model of the area in the background.

Attachments

• P1000854 (1024x771).jpg
    P1000854 (1024x771).jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 409
Nice one Tony. I'd forgotten about the malarkey in the background. I don't remember the Observatory looking that sparce either?

Nice one Tony. I'd forgotten about the malarkey in the background. I don't remember the Observatory looking that sparce either?

it was quite large and spacious but there was quite a lot going on actually. you could even cause your own "earthquakes" by jumping up and down on a mat thing and see how they measured up :D

Thought I'd help you out with the blog Bill.....

Wednesday 11th September

Time to fuel the bikes as well as ourselves, the fuel pumps had small TV screens in showing Fox News or ABC today or some such stuff, then onto the 504 to the Observatory at the top.

Strange, but true......

P1000384.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

As we got higher the sun got stronger & the clouds disappeared. The road kept producing smile after smile & the scenery kept on giving.
P1000400.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

And we weren't quite the only ones enjoying the scenery..... (one for our glorious leader's truck fetish :rolleyes:)

P1000450.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

A few more pics to help set the scene Bill......
The traffic through Seattle was particularly heavy, hitting it at the start of rush hour didn't help, but the 'congestion lane' they have for motorcyclists or cars with 2 people helped us ease our way through. I really like big cities. I like the buzz & energy that come from them. Going through Seattle was great
P1000423.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

P1000430.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

P1000435.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

P1000432.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

We went past the stadium where the Seattle Seahawks, the current Supwerbowl Champions play.

P1000426.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I'd read the reviews of this hotel which were frankly shocking, so much so that I had bought a sleeping bag & pillow case with me. I insisted on seeing the room before checking in (the 1st time I've ever done this) & although it stank it wasn't as bad as I feared it might be.

My first thoughts were that it was like a place you'd see in a Tarantino movie!:eek:

P1000445.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The Cocusa, as a bed for the night was ok for me but the Mexican restaurant up the road was outstanding.
the enormous trains going through with their mournfull horns was, for me, magic.

The Cocusa, as a bed for the night was ok for me but the Mexican restaurant up the road was outstanding.
the enormous trains going through with their mournfull horns was, for me, magic.

But not for Steve as I seem to recall!!

Back
Top Bottom