'Cork Screw' road out of Foyers...anyone?

mspenz

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Had a run over here today for the first time and what a cool road! Didn't take the GSA but used my CCM instead and was pretty glad as the road was covered in slimey birch leaves with a lovely frosty topping :eek:.
This is a public road but I wouldn't take a car up (well maybe an old 1275 Mini Cooper :rolleyes:) as it's little wider than a decent city pavement, the section above the cork screw is mostly rough track for a few miles and for standing on the pegs, what a blast.

The other fun road goes over the moor to Garbole past the windmills, this had frozen water ice down the sides of the road on the last part through the forest and I was pretty glad that I wasn't on the GSA at this point. Add to that the freezing fog back down through Strathspey and it was a pretty chilled day :cool:, thank fck for heated grips :rolleyes:

My dad drove us up there in a 1969 Zephyr. :D

I took the Adv there a few years ago - but not this late in the year, is the road still gated as you head towards Torness?

Glad to read that you found it Mike :thumb

Need pictures to prove you did it though :D

Testing at times, like at this time of year. Even more so when you meet a car coming the other way :eek:

SteveT

:cool:

I know the area quite well. As a child we holidayed every year in a cottage in Torness and going up or down the Corkscrew was always an event. Beautiful part of the world - I'll see if I can find the pictures this evening...

Glad to read that you found it Mike :thumb

Need pictures to prove you did it though :D

Testing at times, like at this time of year. Even more so when you meet a car coming the other way :eek:

SteveT

:cool:

Hi Mike O, I'm Mike as well, pleased to meet you :D
Respect to your dad for taking a Zephyr up there, men were definitely men in those days but I imagine that the track has deteriorated somewhat since then, and yes, there's still a gate beside the farm.

I stopped at Inverfarigaig with the intention of putting the Mobius vid cam onto my helmet for the next few miles as the riding and scenery was stunning but suddenly had a 'Doh' moment. A kind friend had offered to take my weekend gear back in his car and my camera & cam were packed neatly away..arse! Oh well, I'll just have to go back.

Definitely a testing time of year due to road conditions as Steve can verify on his Spean Bridge run on the same day, I will also make sure that I get back there with the ADV once the partly frozen birch mulch has been washed away next spring :D

A Ford Zephyr, that's impressive...you should do a re-run for old time sake :cool:

Mike.

This thread got me curious - always looking for interesting roads:thumb - but if the "corkscrew" road is the zig-zag road east of Inverfarigaig then surely it can't be too difficult:rolleyes: - 'cos the Google Streetview car managed it ok!!! - so you can have a "virtual drive" up the road thanks to Google:thumb

- Assuming I've found the right road of course:rob

Cheers...................Grizzly:beerjug:

Bloody hell, there's no hiding from Google is there! The road starts just before you get to those white county houses so you are probably on the right one, looks totally innocuous on screen :rolleyes:

Steve T was on the road a couple of weeks before and he met a car coming down (local boy racers use it as 'right of passage' & you can tell by all the black tyre marks), Steve managed to slip past but his mate behind came off his FGS800 on one of the bends trying to avoid & the car didn't bother stopping!

Wish that I'd remembered to take my helmet cam as the route and scenery climbing above Loch Ness and then across the moor on the non road is stunning.

Back
Top Bottom