BMW Motorrad v Devitt

Andy B

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
If you are one of those people that insures with BMW here's an interesting little wheeze.

Had my renwal quote through from Devit - 20% higher for exactly the same policy but with one more years NCB, couple of grand off the value of the bike, another years clean riding, etc, etc.

Did the old comparison jobbie and up comes BMW 20% cheaper! All the same info, etc, etc. Read the small print - it IS the Devitt policy.

If you want to insure with BuMW looks like the deals are directly through the Motorrad website not through Devitt on the brokers number. Premium has ended up within £1.00 of last year's.:thumb

Avoid dealing with devitts at all cost and if your insurance is with them then be aware they charge your card for full payment 7 days before the actual renewal date

Avoid dealing with devitts at all cost and if your insurance is with them then be aware they charge your card for full payment 7 days before the actual renewal date

Not in my case, have insurance due in 5 days time, a renewal came & I put it aside 'to do'
Another reminder came this morning and called at lunch time, agreed premium & paid £415 for 3 BMW's & a nearly new Harley that I had to take a separate policy at £300+ last year..
So, 4 bikes in all inc commuting to work.

Check out the bike insurer website, my original renewal with devitts underwritten by aviva via rac was 190,
same policy and under writer via the bike insurer fronted by post office was 148

Just paid £137.80 + £10.00 renewal fee Equity red star with Motorrad, cheaper than last year:nenau

To add to the entertainment ......

Just had my renewal through from BMW/Devitt £1590.70 - I didn't realise it was the 1st April. Last year £160 on an 08 GSA, changed to a 15 GSATE this year.

Same quote via BMW website (Devitt and with same insurance underwriter £192.76)

Same quote via compare the market if I were to take Devitt via this route £174.28

or

One of the other options on Compare the Market between £115 upwards.

Goes to show - shop around and NEVER trust an insurance company - unless you want them to generate numbers for a game of bingo - at which they look particularly skilled.

I expect I will go elsewhere from now on as companies which take the proverbial do not deserve my trust and most certainly not my business.

Well I've come to the conclusion that there all a bunch of crooks so I may as well just go with the cheapest crook!!

If comparing the Devitt renewal and BMW online, double check the compulsory excess. My renewal yesterday had a compulsory excess of £250; the online quote was significantly cheaper but had a £400 compulsory excess. The policies are the same otherwise. You pays your money and.......

Update from me.

Rec'd 3 different "offerings" from BMW / (Devitt).

Cheapest was double last years cost with hike on excess.

Go Compare here I come.

Same policy terms, excess as last year on a newer /greater value bike - £20 cheaper than last year with Hastings.

IMHO business greedyness and awful customer service should be rewarded by the customer with a change of business and an avoidance of the orginal business for 3 years (if possible) - Why should you trust them ever again when they take the Michael:thumb

BMW Insurance - Check your insurance documents carefully

And a follow up to my earlier post:

There is the long version and the short version. You are lucky – you get the short version.

I realise the title heading is standard advice but take particular care at the moment.

Whatever your renewal documents say and whatever you are told on the phone, check your actual policy documents very carefully. :rob There is a problem with Devitt’s systems which means that what they publish and what they have on their operators’ screens may not correspond with the actual policy being sold by the underwriter. Which is unfortunate. :D

What were the differences between the guff on the underwriter's computer and the guff that landed on your mat from Devitt?

The excess. £250 on the guff from Devitts and on their computer screens. £400 from the underwriter.

Excellent. The broker, Devitt, appears to have screwed up with an error in your favour. Have a claim and recover the difference of £150 from Devitt.

Personally had no problems with Devitts.....2 accidents dealt with swiftly and easily. 4 bikes insured with them.....GS, RT, 990 Adv and VFR 750....and renewals all come in with very competitive figures. Oh, and a Boxster and A4 insured with them as well.

Excellent. The broker, Devitt, appears to have screwed up with an error in your favour. Have a claim and recover the difference of £150 from Devitt.

You would think! "The underwriters won't let us change it" and they were not budging. And yes, I would probably have won if I had a claim. But a bird in hand is worth two in the bush. They very kindly offered to immediatley cancel the policy for me. This was 10 hours after the policy went live so not entirely an attractive option so I suggested that they matched their online quote instead which they did. Not really a problem, more of an irritation and badly handled by them. But in general I have not had a problem with them over the years and they have been competitive.

The point of the post was they did not know of the error until I pointed it out to them and then they could still not see it. So it is worth checking closely.

Back
Top Bottom