heidenau k60 on the Super Ten vs the incredible Metzler Next

Banzai600

Reaction score
Just throwing this out there.....

Really digging the Metzler Next at the moment.

However, the rear is squaring off a little. I mostly hack to work ( in all weathers, except ice ). Grip levels are exceptional and feedback is great. I can keep up in the twisites with anything really..m getting good mileage from the byres, but being a heavy bike with good torque, i feel Metzler maybe could have made these a little bit more firm in the rear.

However, the k60's seem a good option, seem to offer long life. So am i sacraficing performance / handling for mostly road riding to gain mileage ?

Or, are there other tyres i can consider ?

( im in transition on the duke from Bridgestone to Metzlers for track use, hard to get the head around switching tyres ).

I looked into the K60 as someone on here was offering them at a discount price. Bear in mind that Yamaha specifies a V speed rating for tyres. The K60 are T rated. I'm sure the K60s will be perfectly safe to use but bear in mind you will be using safety critical parts that do not meet the manufacturer's specification.

I decided to stick with the Michelin PR3/4 as they work well for road only use.

You may come to another conclusion, especially if you would benefit from the off road grip.

if the mot tester is sharp enough he should fail a T rated tyre on a V rated rim bike.

likely never happen though....i'm sure an insurance assessor wouldn't miss it in the event of a claim that required a vehicle inspection though... :augie

Keep away from the metzlers next they don't last long at all just got 3000 miles out of a rear tyre!!!! Lovin the pr4 though

Sent from my
iPhone using Tapatalk

Look at road tyres.

I Use Roadsmarts as these have worked well for me on previous bikes, but PR4's are probably as good for better wear rates, put some Road Attack 2's on the Mrs TDM and they seem very good - and come sort of srubbed in which is nice if putting on new tyres in the middle of winter.

I've used K60s on my 1150.
Long lasting (10k plus) from the rear but quite noisy.
They seem to have very strong sidewalls for offroad use but can lose pressure if not fitted carefully.
Handling.coped with anything i threw at it but i didn't push them too hard due to offroadish tread pattern and "vague" front end feel that you dont get with Tourances.
Others pushed them harder so a question of "confidence" in them.

edit.Have a word with Packer.I think he used K60s on the Alaska trip and he seemed to be getting his moneys worth out of the sidewalls.
He also now runs an S10.

cheers for the replies. Im using the "next" as I said at the moment but looking for something with a little longer life. The K60's seem to be a little hard /. stiff so may not suit my road riding.

The PR4's are Michelin,s not mad about them to be honest.

Gotta make a decision soon though....

I haven't run K60's on the Yam yet but will do for South America in Jan '16.

If you enjoy the feel of Tourance Next's you'll probably hate the K60's. They are a compromise tyre designed to do big miles and cope with gravel roads and "gentle" dirt. Whilst you can ride them to the side walls on a dry road they do not have the traction of a Next and they feel bloody awful in comparison, a bit like a sailboat over a quartering swell, (i.e. coming under a back corner of the boat if you don't sail), the boat changes heading all the time yawing back and forward over the waves. Quite disconcerting on a bike when your boot toe is grazing the road.

Having said that they never terminally let go for me and I'm very tempted to do a track day on them just for laughs, hoping it doesn't end in tears.:) I did have the back end of the 1150GS step out one cold wet morning but a quick closing of the throttle fixed it and serene progress was resumed.

liking the sound of that trip packer !!!! Great do do it Id say.

Yeah, the " next " are staritng to wear quickl;y. The front is wearing rapidly, but thats just how i ride. Its not square but thread depth is minimal. So im thinking now, back to road trye as k60's seema little extreme my my realistic use.

So i could go back and try original Tourances ( if i can nab a set ) or else, do i try a set of Continentals or Anakee's ?

If you go for the original Tourances they are now made in China and there are a number of posts on here that suggest quality may be somewhat variable with one guy almost guying off the side of a mountain when the tyres let go apparently very unexpectedly for no apparent good reason.

Still, that could simply be that now they are made in China there is a good chance that for every genuine tyre shipped out 10 fakes will also be shipped with variable materials used and no QA whatsoever. Buy from a reputable supplier and if they are too cheap it will be for a very good reason.

If you go for the original Tourances they are now made in China and there are a number of posts on here that suggest quality may be somewhat variable with one guy almost guying off the side of a mountain when the tyres let go apparently very unexpectedly for no apparent good reason.

Still, that could simply be that now they are made in China there is a good chance that for every genuine tyre shipped out 10 fakes will also be shipped with variable materials used and no QA whatsoever. Buy from a reputable supplier and if they are too cheap it will be for a very good reason.

crikey ! thats crazy. But there must be a way of recognising the fakes? its a little off putting. If they are made in chaina than they cant be the same mateiral as if they were made in europe for eg, so that would mean theyd be rubbish....Pity, as you can get a set here for 200 euro.

What about anakee 2 or 3 ?

I've got Metzler Tourances (China) on my 1150GS and S10. Personally I can't tell the difference between them and the German ones.

Only covered a couple of Ks on them so can't compare wear rates as yet.

Mike

tks Mike. Its a hard one to call re tyres always.

I used sports touring tyres ( bridgestone T30's ) on a three day track event this yearon my now gone 848 and ppl said iwas mad. I was a bit, but it was in sunny warm spain so it worked.

But its hard to mak a decision.

I might just go and get the original Tourances and go from there. Someone mentioned Dunlop Trailmax, but dont know much about them.

The Tourance next are wearing to quick for me.....

Of the 3 sets I've had on my s10 id say the Tourance Exp had the best wet/dry Tarmac grip to sub zero temps, the k60s were just awful but did grip mud better than the tourance and whilst they had lots of tread depth the rear seemed to square off quickly, vibrated enough to make me wonder if final drive bearings were shot and activated traction control on dry tarmac at a hint of throttle. Current anakee3s are better than tourance on mud and haven't let me down on tar though had the odd twitch on damp greasy roundabouts but no longer getting lots of t/c activation ala k60s , seem to be wearing well and fixed my "rumbling back end" .

cheers. I agreere the Toruance wet / dry. They have never let me down and id right the bike on, in the wet. K60's seem to give that vibey element, i have been searcing a few forums.

The anakee 3's are pricey over here. Altough i want to do some light trail stuff, i might just go with the original Tourances.....never had them and some say they are better than the new " NEXT " version (?).

Back
Top Bottom