Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: MT-09 Tracer.....

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by richardbd View Post
    It can't be any good - it's far too cheap...

It is a budget bike after all, but if money is tight, and you want a do it all bike, this could fit the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by DING-DONG View Post
    Its £2000 cheaper then the honda version, there new crossrunner and after looking at the yam at Cmc and the extras available, i really do like it.
    Been today and we all liked it too!

Quote Originally Posted by The Nutty GSER View Post
    if money is tight, .
    Would i buy one ! Yes i would and not because money is tight, because i see it as a bloody great bike for £8k its half the price of a spec'd up s1xr, ok its not got the BMW kudo's but i buy what i like and not to impress my neighbours .

Quote Originally Posted by DING-DONG View Post
    Would i buy one ! Yes i would and not because money is tight, because i see it as a bloody great bike for £8k its half the price of a spec'd up s1xr, ok its not got the BMW kudo's but i buy what i like and not to impress my neighbours .
    Too right, Dave. My neighbours wouldn't know one end of a motorbike from the other!

It's still built on a budget though!

The Crossrunner is quite a bit more expensive, but it feels a more premium product ( to me). The quality and finish on many of the parts on the Yam turned me off it. However, I'd still like to take it for a ride to see if the engine makes up for its (cosmetic) shortfalls.
    Why so serious ?

I had a test ride today on a Tracer - took it from Cheltenham to Winchcombe via Southam & Cleeve Hill. From there to Toddington and out onto the M5 at Northway. Off at Cheltenham and then around the Old Gloucester road, past the airport on Bamfurlong Lane to Badgeworth & Shurdington. Then into Cheltenham to see what it is like in traffic.

I like the bike. It zips along nicely in standard mode and gets quite lively in A mode. I wouldn't use the B mode. Despite the budget cost the suspension is quite compliant - the roads around Winchcombe are very bumpy and it was soaking them up nicely. The engine, even with just 200 miles on the odo is lovely. Very nice top gear roll ons.

I'll probably end up buying one, so does anyone want a 2011 Super Tenere with luggage for £7k?
    This space deliberately left blank as the author writes too much pretentious bollocks as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by The Nutty GSER View Post
    It is a budget bike after all, but if money is tight, and you want a do it all bike, this could fit the bill.
    I'm not so sure on that comment, looked at one earlier this week and the plastics are better than my WC, Dash is an acquired taste but everything else about it is just about spot on. The GS is built down to a price now, it's just BMW seem to want to make bigger margins and BMW do seem to sell a huge amount of new GS's to the born agains and clueless who will be blinded by the badge. It's a great bike, and Yamaha will sell them by the truck load.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffmeister View Post
    I'm not so sure on that comment, looked at one earlier this week and the plastics are better than my WC, Dash is an acquired taste but everything else about it is just about spot on. The GS is built down to a price now, it's just BMW seem to want to make bigger margins and BMW do seem to sell a huge amount of new GS's to the born agains and clueless who will be blinded by the badge. It's a great bike, and Yamaha will sell them by the truck load.
    That, they will.

As mentioned in another thread, my mate is about to buy one, so I've spent some time having a good look round one, and will probably be riding one tomorrow. Comparing it to my GSA, I don't agree about the quality; the GSA is a step up. And before you say I'm blinded by the badge, I'm not. I'd love to get something other than a BMW, but so far, nothing has tempted me. I'll be having a demo on the new KTM Super Adventure when it's launched, so we'll see how that is.

I'm not being derogatory, or condescending by saying it's a budget bike, and the fact that it is, is no bad thing. Look at the price of a Multistrada, or the upcoming S1000XR, and although they are 40/50bhp up on the Tracer, in the real world there's a huge market for this new Yam.

Rave reviews, useful horsepower, cheap.................

Spend a little bit on Suspension- I think you'll have a bike for many years.

Al
    If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
    Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....

Stay Frosty Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackal View Post
    Rave reviews, useful horsepower, cheap.................

Spend a little bit on Suspension- I think you'll have a bike for many years.

Al
    i reckon, a decent shock and that bike is a potential giant killer. less than a grand, job done

Son of Ah Knah Yee Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Red one outside local dealer looks pretty... screen looks wierd...all looks a bit spindly and impractical in a world of wet roads.

Still.... closest I've come to taking a test ride so far...

PUI since 2004

[url=https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

Quote Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
    Red one outside local dealer looks pretty... screen looks wierd...all looks a bit spindly and impractical in a world of wet roads.

Still.... closest I've come to taking a test ride so far...

The screen design is an area where they have cut cost. It adjusts but it is a fiddly process. I moved it from one extreme to the other at the midway point. Initially with the screen tilted towards the rider there was air hitting my chest. At the other extreme the air was hitting my face. There wasn't any buffeting but it was noisy and like the last 2 bikes, I would always use ear plugs with a Tracer.

It started raining just after I flipped the screen and I ended up with wet air hitting me in the face. I think in rain it would be better to have the air defected to hit your chest. Conversely, when riding in hot conditions you could adjust the screen to give you fresh air into your face as a cooling effort.

To me, the weirdest looking parts are the barkbuster type deflectors. They are quite expansive with spoilers. I don't think my Tucano Muffs will fit around them but they look like they will come apart quite easily.
    This space deliberately left blank as the author writes too much pretentious bollocks as it is.

I ordered one too 3 weeks ago. picking it up on 15 plate on 2nd of March. At the moment I'm crossed about Yamaha not providing original topbox for Tracer for EU market. FJ09 which is US version of tracer does have it and it nicely finishes rear end of this bike and it doesn't look like someone chopped it off.

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1423908885607.jpg
Views: 3389
Size:  118.0 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1423908908371.jpg
Views: 1720
Size:  108.1 KB

Yamaha only provides soft luggage support rack which can't be used for topbox mounting and has load weight of 10kgs.

Bike's engine is great and sounds awesome,especially with full Akrapovic system from MT09.

Heated grips are integrated into dash and no longer have aftermarket look.

US also gets hard-shell panniers but EU small soft ones. Don't understand Yamaha on this I'm afraid....

I test rode Vfr800x last weekend and build quality and looks of it is better than tracer, but after riding it about hour I was missing Tracer's tractable engine and its sound, sharp brakes and more sporty suspension without significant dive when braking. Clutch on VFR was super hard despite being hydraulic. Using it in London on my commute to work would be bit of hard exercise.
    Engine wasn't as alive as on tracer and I was missing the rush of that 3 cylinder engine from any revs. When leaving city 30mph zone to national speed limit, opening throttle all the way was not very exciting until you reached 7-8krpm when Vtec kicked in.

Vfr800x is just above 10k and currently they offer akrapovic can, centre stand, tomtom satnav, topbox and heated grips. If you were to add all of these to Tracer you end up around 10k as well, but for me Honda was missing grin factor, so I went with Tracer in the end.

Topbox on vfr800x is only big enough to put your full face helmet, but mine didn't fit in. Forget about gloves or bike chain, which I put into my GSs box along with few other bits I carry around.

I was going for XR, but after running some online quotes for insurance for postcode I live without keeping bike garaged(locked in residential underground car park) I was ending up with 2k£ quotes...too much for me tbh, so I looked for cheaper alternatives and I found this Tracer surprising good for half the money of XR and insurance quotes are positively good too.

Ref. luggage for the Tracer - Givi will be offering pannier rails & a topbox plate so you can fit any of their monokey boxes

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast