MT-09 Tracer.....

I have just had the same letter, called Arnolds at Burton on trent and they have ordered the part and will let me know when it arrives in and sort a time to suit for fitment
Cracking bike that puts a big grim on my face :)

Was looking at one of these today in a showroom. The salesman wasn't to clued up with what panniers are available. Anyone got the panniers for it.

Was looking at one of these today in a showroom. The salesman wasn't to clued up with what panniers are available. Anyone got the panniers for it.

Check on Pistonheads. Don't have a link for you but one of the guys got a set of Shad luggage. Looks good.

The Yamaha Darkside MT Tour is currently doing the rounds. It was at Knockhill last weekend and I popped in for a look. The Tracer factory panniers are semi-rigid fabric things, very similar to the ones that KTM offered for the 990 SMT. So if it's capacity, security and waterproofing that you're after, I'd look to the aftermarket.

I've just looked at the Shad luggage mentioned by immigrant. It looks good and is well priced. Thanks guys:thumb2

Snatchy Throttle Response

I have no personal experience of this bike & I have heard plenty of positive comments from others, a mate of mine has recently traded in his GS for a new Tracer as he was finding the GS becoming too heavy & unmanageable in his maturing years, he loves the bike, but in no way disrespects his old GS, the one thing that he found frustrating with the Tracer was a "Snatchy Throttle" despite having its 3 riding modes, he has researched a fix, and came to mine as its easier to do with one reading out the sequence of instructions whilst the other flicks the switches. Took 10 minutes tops, no tools required and he claims 100% improvement in the ride.
I thought I would share the link with others -

http://mt09.motorcycle-talk.com/forum/mt-09-tracer-technical/2900-tracer-c0-adjustment-guide.html

I have put nearly 6000 miles on my Tracer, including 1800 miles in a 9 day trip to France last week. Great bike with a few niggles which are all documented here http://fj-09.org/forum

Loads of luggage options - Yamaha sell soft ABS panniers which are small but okay. Get the fitting kit from a US outlet and you can fit FJR1300 panniers. Shad as mentioned above. Hepco & Becker, SW Motech have options. I went with Givi, buying a topbox fitting kit and side rails from http://www.accessorimotostore.com/ - I use an old E45 topbox used on my last 2 bikes and bought a pair of Kappa K40 side cases which fit on the Givi rails or topbox mount as they share the Monokey fitment. 2 cases plus a Baglux tankbag were great last week in France, especially as I could use one of the K40 cases as a topbox on days touring from a base hotel.

Kappa K40 are very cheap £156 for a pair delivered from Italy from outlet ricambi on Ebay - links in this thread http://fj-09.org/thread/1400/kappa-k40n-side-cases

I see the Tracer is being well received and for the price, it blows the competition into the weeds. Pretty much sold out in Ireland.

Can I ask....

whats the average MPG ( without nailing it ) ppl are getting commuting / odd blast - general use.

tks

:thumb

( severe shortage of pics in this thread...lol )

:comfort

I see the Tracer is being well received and for the price, it blows the competition into the weeds. Pretty much sold out in Ireland.

Can I ask....

whats the average MPG ( without nailing it ) ppl are getting commuting / odd blast - general use.

tks

:thumb

( severe shortage of pics in this thread...lol )

:comfort

My best ever - 64mpg ( according to dash computer). As picture below shows - 207miles and I put 15.5L back to the tank, so to empty it was still 3L left. I achieved this one on our last day trip in Spain, when returning to ferry in Santander, but weather was mixed and last 100 miles we did in downpur on motorway so speed was about 100kph max.

dFqlp0A4awFBE_8-NBvKy_yNKpA-8ooB2lCpY-lT2SH-=w1650-h933-no

during that trip in Picos and Pyrenees my average was 45-50ish mpg with 160-180 miles before refueling and that was mostly when blasting it on mountain passes and twisties!

When commuting to work, I do about 120 miles before reserve light comes on and I'm usually putting then about 15-16 liters.

My best ever - 64mpg ( according to dash computer). As picture below shows - 207miles and I put 15.5L back to the tank, so to empty it was still 3L left. I achieved this one on our last day trip in Spain, when returning to ferry in Santander, but weather was mixed and last 100 miles we did in downpur on motorway so speed was about 100kph max.

during that trip in Picos and Pyrenees my average was 45-50ish mpg with 160-180 miles before refueling and that was mostly when blasting it on mountain passes and twisties!

When commuting to work, I do about 120 miles before reserve light comes on and I'm usually putting then about 15-16 liters.

cheers for that Tecman...very informative.:rob

Tell me, what did you ride before it ? Reason i ask, i think i might fancy a change. Ive got an xt1200z tenere, which is fantastic. But liking the tracer.

Is there anything you dont like about it ? It seems you've done a bit on it, so if there was anything you dont like, what would it be ?

cheers for that Tecman...very informative.:rob

Tell me, what did you ride before it ? Reason i ask, i think i might fancy a change. Ive got an xt1200z tenere, which is fantastic. But liking the tracer.

Is there anything you dont like about it ? It seems you've done a bit on it, so if there was anything you dont like, what would it be ?

I have still GS LC 2013 which is put on sale, put 12kmls on it, good bike but got fed up with clunky gearbox and commuting to work on 240kg bike in London traffic isn't fun. Tracer on the other hand is light ( 210kg with fuel), nimble when filtering through traffic and engine sound is much nicer than boxer's. I'm thinking of putting akrapovic full system soon, as stock exhaust is too quiet.

What I don't like - stock seat is rather firm, but I managed to do 250-300mls days on it and even chaps on their 1190 KTM and Super10 where moaning about their backsides. Stock tyres do not give you much confidence, especially on wet, so I wore them off in Spain and put PR4s in front and back now. Original screen is on small side, so I put aftermarket one which looks nicer and gives you better wind protection.

It is small bike, so riding 2 up might be a problem, but if you riding/touring on your own, bike will be perfect. At this point in time I can't find the bit that I don't like it that would start to annoy me and think of swapping it for something else.

Engine - is superb. Especially on 2nd and 3rd gear...it pulls and pulls. Most of mountain passes I only used these 2 gears.

I have still GS LC 2013 which is put on sale, put 12kmls on it, good bike but got fed up with clunky gearbox and commuting to work on 240kg bike in London traffic isn't fun. Tracer on the other hand is light ( 210kg with fuel), nimble when filtering through traffic and engine sound is much nicer than boxer's. I'm thinking of putting akrapovic full system soon, as stock exhaust is too quiet.

What I don't like - stock seat is rather firm, but I managed to do 250-300mls days on it and even chaps on their 1190 KTM and Super10 where moaning about their backsides. Stock tyres do not give you much confidence, especially on wet, so I wore them off in Spain and put PR4s in front and back now. Original screen is on small side, so I put aftermarket one which looks nicer and gives you better wind protection.

It is small bike, so riding 2 up might be a problem, but if you riding/touring on your own, bike will be perfect. At this point in time I can't find the bit that I don't like it that would start to annoy me and think of swapping it for something else.

Engine - is superb. Especially on 2nd and 3rd gear...it pulls and pulls. Most of mountain passes I only used these 2 gears.

See, im thinking if I sell the S10 i will miss it. Its a stonker of a bike, i love the torque, its intimidating size to d!ckhead drviers etc and the shaft.

Are the headlights ok, they look small / weak ?

Tks again, appreciate it :thumby:

Headlights are good, but I don't use them that much as I rarely ride at dark.

I went from the S10 to the Tracer. I was tempted by the lower weight.

Like tecman I have bought an aftermarket screen.

Fuel is reported by the optimistic computer as over 50mpg. Varies considerably, especially when in France with their E10 fuel. Tank range is over 200 miles on UK unleaded 95RON but as low as 150 miles on E10 fuel, when making progress.

Riding position is upright like the S10, suits my knees.

It is a very good motorcycle. Possibly the best ever UJM. It's been good on my commute, hooning around the Cotswolds and Mid Wales or on a trip to Burgundy & Alsace.

Chain is messy but not had to adjust it in 5500 miles. I find the OE tyres (D222 Dunlop not available in shops) okay and put a similar Dunlop on the rear for my trip to France. 1800 miles in 8 days riding, much of it in the Vosges mountains.

I can't see me changing bikes for some time.

Chain is messy but not had to adjust it in 5500 miles. I find the OE tyres (D222 Dunlop not available in shops) okay and put a similar Dunlop on the rear for my trip to France. 1800 miles in 8 days riding, much of it in the Vosges mountains.

I can't see me changing bikes for some time.

Wessie? How many miles did you squeeze out of your rear on your bike? Mine was down to legal in the middle when approaching 3600-3800ish. Got back home from trip and ordered set of PR4s, fitted at 4200mls :)

just before boarding ferry in Santander (put 2k mls in 7 days riding)
VbkwFTIBztTZX43syMBj469MEKMTLjkkUlsBu8jD9Dzp=w528-h933-no

B0-T-_HL-ilXHq3HuF8muem0HkaT_6gLbchGzCZ9Rirw=w1650-h933-no

I had about 1.5 mm left above the wear bars at 3600 miles - not many motorway miles as I live in the Cotswolds. Decided to fit a new Roadsmart 2 on the rear for the trip. Mate, johan had 3mm on his rear and it lasted the 1500 mile trip.

My rear OE tyre looked like yours, close to the edge. Despite similar lean angles, I can't seem to get to the edge of the Roadsmart tyre. I'm hoping it is a factor of the very deep tread compared to the meagre tread on the D222, which remind me of barely full ink cartridges shipped with a printer. I'm hoping the new rear will last 6000 miles like PR4s and Conti Road Attacks did on my Super Tenere. If the Roadsmarts do last that long then I would be happy to stick with them.

Really like the Tracer and the reviews I've read so far have been very positive. Serious contender for my next bike as I love triples.
These seem to be a refreshing alternative to adventure bikes which in my opinion are getting too expensive, too big and too heavy.
Only concern is legroom as I suffer with arthritic knees, can anyone report how they are in this department?

Back
Top Bottom