JJ Cobas K100R Flying Brick

Just repainted most of the black parts on the bike.lots of work involved cleaning,de-greasing and removing flaking paint-it's the part of bike building I detest.
I still have the gearbox to paint but it's coming apart for internal inspection to make sure everything is in good order.

New fairing on it's way as I'm not happy with the one I have at present. It should be here in a few days.

Attachments

• CIMG2272.jpg
    CIMG2272.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 732
  • xr41+fairing.jpg
    xr41+fairing.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 817
It's the worse part of the job but also the part that makes the project look 100%!
I had to do exactly the same with my K100 turbo, hour after hour of cleaning, beadblasting and spraying with Hammerite smooth satin black.
The satin black finish and stainless steel fasteners set it other off nicely.
The results were worth it, only problem being a customer saw the results and demanded I do exactly the same on his K1100 cafe-racer, including the engine cases!
The only problem I get is occasional tiny chips from stones.
Good luck with the project, good to see something different!

It's the worse part of the job but also the part that makes the project look 100%!
I had to do exactly the same with my K100 turbo, hour after hour of cleaning, beadblasting and spraying with Hammerite smooth satin black.
The satin black finish and stainless steel fasteners set it other off nicely.
The results were worth it, only problem being a customer saw the results and demanded I do exactly the same on his K1100 cafe-racer, including the engine cases!
The only problem I get is occasional tiny chips from stones.
Good luck with the project, good to see something different!

The worst part of any restoration or project for me is the mess it creates when you take the bike apart. Dirt comes from places you didn't know existed! I'm just about past that stage now so I'll be able to have good tidy round and a clean up.
The black paint does sometimes chip,you're right there,so I've tried 2K satin this time to see if it's more durable. I've had my engine cases vapour cleaned too so it should look nice & clean when I get it back.
Any chance of posting some images somewhere on here-start a thread of your own perhaps?

There's lots of stuff going out there in sheds and garages that would be nice to see/share.

The new for internals have arrived and hopefully will improve the front end.

Attachments

• CIMG2274.jpg
    CIMG2274.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 713
The bike was finished a couple of years ago, although every winter it undergoes further mods, there is some information
on my website: http://www.sportaxmoto.com/#/k100-projet-turbo-2012/4547751553 but not too much detail on the cycle
parts.
The cycle parts are standard, the only planned changes are to change the existing rear Ikon shock for a longer RAM unit, mainly
because I think the bike would look better with a slightly higher rear end.

The bike was finished a couple of years ago, although every winter it undergoes further mods, there is some information
on my website: http://www.sportaxmoto.com/#/k100-projet-turbo-2012/4547751553 but not too much detail on the cycle
parts.
The cycle parts are standard, the only planned changes are to change the existing rear Ikon shock for a longer RAM unit, mainly
because I think the bike would look better with a slightly higher rear end.
Now you've pointed it out,I've seen the 1st version before. A nice job done there with some well executed parts. Does it go well and have you have ever had it on a Dyno for some BHP figures?

I've chosen a Wilbers fully adjustable rear strut with ride height adjustment. I have these units on my Paralever twins and they work really well. Nice quality and reasonable cost.

With all the work done to the engine,it needs to handle nicely. No use owning a Flying Brick that doesn't "fly"

Attachments

• CIMG2276.jpg
    CIMG2276.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 759
No dyno figures yet, this winter I've changed the silencer and fitted different camshafts to improve the bottom-end. This means, as with all small changes, the SU needle has to be re-profiled. I'm awaiting a few carburettor parts at the moment, then I'll get it set up properly and visit a dyno before I find something else to modify!
With the new cam profiles, on a slightly damp road, it will spin the back wheel on the throttle in second gear easily.
Each modification means the bike produces a bit more power and torque but by the end of summer the desire is always there for just a bit more! Fortunately, unlike a conventional tune, a bit more is always available.
Does it handle under boost? No! But I haven't fell off yet.

No dyno figures yet, this winter I've changed the silencer and fitted different camshafts to improve the bottom-end. This means, as with all small changes, the SU needle has to be re-profiled. I'm awaiting a few carburettor parts at the moment, then I'll get it set up properly and visit a dyno before I find something else to modify!
With the new cam profiles, on a slightly damp road, it will spin the back wheel on the throttle in second gear easily.
Each modification means the bike produces a bit more power and torque but by the end of summer the desire is always there for just a bit more! Fortunately, unlike a conventional tune, a bit more is always available.
Does it handle under boost? No! But I haven't fell off yet.

Nice website and I checked out where you live,it looks great. Keep me informed of any progress please.[/B]

The frame & wheels are back,all I've got to do now is join everything back together somehow.

Attachments

• CIMG2292.jpg
    CIMG2292.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 678
Don't worry, I'm not trying to poach your information, I've got plenty of power!
Are you keeping the 8V head rather than the more efficient 16V because it's correct for the bike's age?

Don't worry, I'm not trying to poach your information, I've got plenty of power!
Are you keeping the 8V head rather than the more efficient 16V because it's correct for the bike's age?

I'm keeping it 8 valve to comply with B.E.A.R.S race regs so that when I'm done with it,it could be sold as a race bike for that series...or I might do the odd round!
The high comp pistons wouldn't work on the 16 valver or in a Turbo charged engine as I'm sure you realise.
I'm assured that the high comp pistons are good for 10bhp on their own.

I can't seem to P.M you.
I was going to let you in on the piston secret.

No e-mails through the site I'm afraid, I'm not subscribed for them.
'I'm assured that the high comp pistons are good for 10bhp on their own.'
Interesting statement as normally an increase in compression ratio increases the torque, best felt in the mid-range.
I'm running the standard pistons, static C.R. being around 11:1, but dynamic is lower, no problems with detonation so far!

No e-mails through the site I'm afraid, I'm not subscribed for them.
'I'm assured that the high comp pistons are good for 10bhp on their own.'
Interesting statement as normally an increase in compression ratio increases the torque, best felt in the mid-range.
I'm running the standard pistons, static C.R. being around 11:1, but dynamic is lower, no problems with detonation so far!

I can't vouch for the figures as it's only what I'm told. It would be good to try stock and hi comp for a comparison back to back but there are too many other mods to tell now. 13:1 is what we're expecting when it's back together
The guy doing the engine used to be with Bennetton Fi as an engine man,got into aviation after that and ended up on bikes so his credentials serve him well.
I have a short stroke twin he built and even at just 927cc it really goes so I trust his work and opinions.
I'm sure the 4 cylinder will be build to the same high standards as my twin,if so it too should be a quick bike.

Aren't they heavy though?..and I've taken as much off the bike as I can.

Not questioning his ability at all :D He probably meant that the increase in torque in the mid-range due to the higher CR will also give a gain of 10bhp in this region as well.
Heavy? The standard complete fairing on my bike weighed just less than 30kg, I sold it and had to send it by post! I've never weighed the bike but I would estimate it at around 200kg.
I've removed everything possible, even replaced the wiring harness. There's no radiator header tank nor even a radiator fan.
I think they were chiselled from solid by BMW!

Not questioning his ability at all :D He probably meant that the increase in torque in the mid-range due to the higher CR will also give a gain of 10bhp in this region as well.
Heavy? The standard complete fairing on my bike weighed just less than 30kg, I sold it and had to send it by post! I've never weighed the bike but I would estimate it at around 200kg.
I've removed everything possible, even replaced the wiring harness. There's no radiator header tank nor even a radiator fan.
I think they were chiselled from solid by BMW!

I've removed every possible wire from the harness too but I'm keeping the fan for now. Anything not needed has gone and it's a real heavyweight none the less. I'm working on the less is more theory and I even have an Akrapovic Titanium silencer for it.
On one of my other twins I used Titanium nuts and bolts for 99% of the bike-it cost a fortune and won't be happening again.

There are moments when I look at the collection of parts and think to myself "WTF are you doing?"
On the bright side,I collect the engine and gearbox tomorrow so progress may then gather some momentum.

The AM22 & AM23 racing tyres are that sticky you have trouble getting them off the tiled floor....or perhaps it's the sheer weight of the stock wheels-a bit of both.:thumb

Attachments

• CIMG2327.jpg
    CIMG2327.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 720
  • CIMG2325.jpg
    CIMG2325.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 692
More progress! Is the later Paralever type swinging arm going on the bike?

Yes it is but I have both and they are interchangeable.
If I use the Paralever gearbox I have the option of using the Monolever rear end. The only difference is, the Paralever gearbox has lugs cast on for the botton arm which would not be used on a Mono lever so the options there. You more than likely knew that anyway.
I'll end up trying both rear ends just for curiosity.

The engine has arrived and now the work begins!

Attachments

• CIMG2331.jpg
    CIMG2331.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 672
  • CIMG2332.jpg
    CIMG2332.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 686
  • CIMG2333.jpg
    CIMG2333.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 673
  • CIMG2334.jpg
    CIMG2334.jpg