JJ Cobas K100R Flying Brick

Unfortunately the 16V system can only be modified if you have a one-off 'chip' mapped on the dyno, I think it's one of the few bikes Dynojet don't make a Power Commander for, which would make things a lot simpler!
There is a simple way around this using the 16V ignition/injection set-up but I'll let your engine man explain it to you!
I went all through this with the turbo bike, I ended up fitting a carburettor and a programmable ignition unit.

Unfortunately the 16V system can only be modified if you have a one-off 'chip' mapped on the dyno, I think it's one of the few bikes Dynojet don't make a Power Commander for, which would make things a lot simpler!
There is a simple way around this using the 16V ignition/injection set-up but I'll let your engine man explain it to you!

I'd much rather hear it from you if you have the time.
We don't know everything and if you know something we don't,it would be nice to be educated.

We all need a little help every now and again!

2 row narrow Radiator and fan fitted.
A narrow radiator was chosen to sit inside the fairing.
The oversize airfilter is temporary as improved throttle bodies are on the way...and for those who might point out that the filter sits in warm air coming from the radiator,save your fingers on the keys. It will have ducting feeding cool air from the front of the bike. :thumb

Attachments

• CIMG2399.jpg
    CIMG2399.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 652
  • CIMG2400.jpg
    CIMG2400.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 640
  • CIMG2398.jpg
    CIMG2398.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 652
  • CIMG2397.jpg
    CIMG2397.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 660
The radiator is now all plumbed in.
As some of you reading this will know, the stock BMW rad has an integral thermostat fitted.
I thought it unwise to run without a stat so found an all alloy in line car housing, it's huge but should do the job nicely.
The stat has an internal by-pass.

Attachments

• CIMG2406.jpg
    CIMG2406.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 629
The headers are now done and the exhaust system is complete.
I'm going to rig up a fuel supply and start it this weekend.

Attachments

• CIMG2420.jpg
    CIMG2420.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 996
  • CIMG2424.jpg
    CIMG2424.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 995
  • CIMG2427.jpg
    CIMG2427.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 964
  • CIMG2439.jpg
    CIMG2439.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 1,007
  • CIMG2440.jpg
    CIMG2440.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 1,099
That's looking good Mick. I do hope you realise everyone will be wanting a brick when you've finished. Knowing how hard you ride , do you think the headers will be safe.

Nice to hear from you Ken.
The headers have had the lean test and I think they'll be fine,they just look low. If they do touch down I'll weld some 1/4" plate on them,that should stop them wearing away!!
I ran it yesterday for the first time and discovered some not unexpected fueling issues.
I'm waiting for Geoff at Hilltop M/c's to get back to me about mapping it on his Dyno. It's looking like it's possible.
Still lots to do.:thumby:

Any up-dates on the progress?

Hi,
Yes. It runs and I've ridden it at a track day at Cadwell Park where it performed very well but it also feels like there's lots more to come-I've just got to find it!
It's running 1100 TB's for now but fueling is all over the place so it's going for a remap at Hilltop M/C's. Even now it wants to rev and is fairly smooth. I'd used a Koso tacho/speedo but can't get it to take to the K. The tacho needle is allover the place no matter which way the supplier tells me to wire it in so it's going back and something else will have to be found.

I'm just starting to paint it and now I'm satisfied that it's going to make a good bike, I'm looking into getting a set of lightweight wheels made...........more soon.

Let's face it,the alloy tank on the K's is a horrible thing.
It always amazes me why it's the one part of any modified K that gets overlooked so I modified mine. Firstly with some indents in the Cafe bike style and then I had to fill in the front of the tank to give it a better shape.
I'm happy with that.:thumb

Attachments

• CIMG2576.jpg
    CIMG2576.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 783
  • CIMG2571.jpg
    CIMG2571.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 810
  • CIMG2574.jpg
    CIMG2574.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 756
  • CIMG2572.jpg
    CIMG2572.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 748
I changed the Paralever rear end for a Mono set up to keep the bike nearer to the Cobas bike. Trouble is,one job creates another six. The Mono rear is 40mm shorter which made the back wheel touch the link pipe-BUGGER!
I had the bike booked back in with JAC exhausts but he let me down. I had a set of K1200RS headers so I set about making them fit. As the 1200 doesn't have the lump above the gear change shaft, #4 header had to be modified to clear the gearbox. I made a collector and link pipe to the Titanium Akro silencer.

Attachments

• CIMG2600.jpg
    CIMG2600.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 732
  • CIMG2602.jpg
    CIMG2602.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 698
Belly pan

This is what happens when you think to yourself "A bit of cut & shut and it will be OK"
You then stand back and realise it isn't OK and major alterations are required for the right look

Attachments

• CIMG2610.jpg
    CIMG2610.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 698
  • CIMG2606.jpg
    CIMG2606.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 694
Hi Mike,
I was speaking to Dynatek in the UK this morning about fitting one of their kits to my turbo bike, the chap I spoke to mentioned that someone else had phoned recently with a modified K100 asking similar questions, was it you?
I've been asked to supply some information to enable them to source a kit for me, if it was you, we could be looking for the same thing!
Mick

Hi Mike,
I was speaking to Dynatek in the UK this morning about fitting one of their kits to my turbo bike, the chap I spoke to mentioned that someone else had phoned recently with a modified K100 asking similar questions, was it you?
I've been asked to supply some information to enable them to source a kit for me, if it was you, we could be looking for the same thing!
Mick
Hi Mick,
I wasn't me but if you get anywhere let me know. I'm trying to sort fueling at the moment as its all over the place. It was going to be done at Hilltop m/c's but he's decided he now can't find his EPROM reader which I think is code for "I'm too busy ". When I called them in April it was all on but I still had too much to do before I could run the bike.
I've spoken to dynojet this morning and if some figures they need are in spec, they can build me a Power Commander to suit.

Mike.

There may be a simpler solution for your bike.....you said earlier that you are using the later Motronic type injection system, if you fit the K1200 Motronic unit, there is already a Power Commander available off the shelf, I was going to use this set-up before I went draw-through.

I'm waiting for them to come back with an answer. The guy's at Snetterton this weekend fro BSB. As soon as I hear something,I'll drop you a line.

The bike's waiting for decals to be made,a softer rear spring and the end covers to vapour blasted......oh and the fueling to get sorted.

Attachments

• CIMG2613.jpg
    CIMG2613.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 660
  • CIMG2614.jpg
    CIMG2614.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 685
Spa

The Bikers Classics at Spa was amazing.
If you're in to Classic race bikes,this has to be the event to do. Some fantastic race bikes always attend and the track is in a beautiful setting. The 4 hour Endurance race that runs till midnight is amazing. Classic endurance bikes at night on a special track makes for a great atmosphere.

The Flying Brick ran really well despite still having fueling problems that will be sorted soon. I wasn't the slowest bike there and handled nicely. I found a few more jobs to do after a 3 day track event but that's all part of the development process. The bike will eventually have new fuel and ignition systems on board.

Get the Bikers Classics on your list of things to do!!

Attachments

• IMG_1909[1].jpg
    IMG_1909[1].jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 660
  • CIMG2680.jpg
    CIMG2680.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 630
  • IMG_1911[1].jpg
    IMG_1911[1].jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 621
  • IMG_1918[1].jpg
    IMG_1918[1].jpg