JJ Cobas K100R Flying Brick

The week after Spa,it was Cadwell park for two days. First day with Classic Bike Trackdays and the second with BMW owners club.

First day.

<iframe width="854" height="510" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gUaD8OcM6is" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Day 2. While passing a slower rider he made a sudden move to the very edge of the track,leaving me nowhere to go but the grass....BUGGER!
I'd just been given a Granite plinth for the best bike there too.

Start again!!

Attachments

• IMG_1974.jpg
    IMG_1974.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 531
  • IMG_1976.jpg
    IMG_1976.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 523
  • IMG_1977.jpg
    IMG_1977.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 524
  • IMG_1978.jpg
    IMG_1978.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 527
  • Cadwell prize.jpg
    Cadwell prize.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 526
Nah, not me. I have been riding for a while now, but it is a ride friendly day for road machines and I do believe that a considerate overtake on the inside (as opposed to a Marco Melandri dive) is safer for the rider knows he is being overtaken. He doesn't need to alter his line if done correctly and safely. As you are not unfamiliar with track riding usually the best on the BMW club track days is to pace yourself with the guy in front and then overtake out of the corner by getting a better drive, later apex etc... A good spot at Cadwell for overtaking on the outside is Coppice where the guys usually slow down too much and stick to a tighter line or Chris Curve. Even the fast guys only use 1/2 to 3/4 of the track there and it sets you up nicely for Charlies 1. Just don't steal the guys line you have just overtaken.

Mind having said that I did just that at Snetterton setting up for a good drive out of Riches to overtake a Kawa where the rider didn't carry enough corner speed but outpaces me in the straight. As my luck would have it the bugger didn't drift wide as suppose to when opening the throttle, he was a bit slow doing that and with the closing speed I had there was 1 of 2 outcomes so I stood it up and went looking for cabbages. You live and learn. Occasional track day riders is not the best to negotiate around a track.

Cadwell was my first track day for the year so I asked for the inters. Would have loved to follow you around to have a look at it in action.

I had a look at the machine, K bikes are not my favourite but that is a beautiful machine. Will be back at Snetterton in August. Silver R1100S.

MM....Just to say RESPECT !!!....:bow

I have been popping into this thread from day one....I like race bikes and I have always like the 'thinking outside the box' stuff....like the JJ Cobas and the G.P. Elf.

I thought that this build could go either way...an utter dog, or a dead tidy bit of kit. Well FWIW I think that you have made a cracking job of it !!...It's different (in a good way) and it seems to go like a good 'un....

Shame about the 'drop' but I reckon a bloke of your ability will have that sorted out in no time.

Very very well done......:thumb2

MM....Just to say RESPECT !!!....:bow

I have been popping into this thread from day one....I like race bikes and I have always like the 'thinking outside the box' stuff....like the JJ Cobas and the G.P. Elf.

I thought that this build could go either way...an utter dog, or a dead tidy bit of kit. Well FWIW I think that you have made a cracking job of it !!...It's different (in a good way) and it seems to go like a good 'un....

Shame about the 'drop' but I reckon a bloke of your ability will have that sorted out in no time.

Very very well done......:thumb2

Thanks very much.
It will be better next time. I've already started a new tank that will be narrower at the rear. It's that fat it's holding me up on top of the bike when I'm trying to hang off in the bends-if that makes any sense.
As for the fairing,who knows? I'm not unhappy with the first choice as the mass of colours mask it's incorrect shape,but something else may present itself.
The engine way from finished especially the ignition and fuel management. It will probably end up with a full package off a GSXR 1000 or similar.

The main reason for all this is..............I enjoy it.

All the best.

It's no good,I couldn't resist starting another tank.
It is much narrower,the ergonomics should suit me better. I've only got the front to knock in and the bottom to extend....WTF have I started now?

Attachments

• IMG_1991.jpg
    IMG_1991.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 491
  • IMG_1990.jpg
    IMG_1990.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 505
Loads.
I crashed it at Cadwell park. I was sent off the track by a slower rider who decided to turn left as my front was along side his rear wheel. God alone knows where he thought he was going, I had no where to go so it was off onto the grass and then straight into the back of the van for me & the bike!! I bounce better that I'd hoped for-fuck me it felt ever so fast when I landed on my head. My Arai RX7 was destroyed but I can buy another one of those can't I? There's not much damage but everything down the right side is damaged so will need repairing or replacing.

It's a shame because I won a granite trophy from Classic Bike Track Days and Practical Sportsbike for best bike the day before but, that's what can happen when you ride track days and I've not crashes for 30 odd years so here's to the next 30+

It's back to the drawing board for now. 16 vale 1100 motor going in because it just lacks grunt, a new tank which I've started, new fairing and just a repaint on the seat. I've been looking for a 1200 motor but didn't find one so 1100 it is.

I've not had much time for the Brick due to new bikes arriving, sorting a wedding and getting Married-eeek!
Work should start again soon.

I've got some good shots from Cadwell, I'll load some on later this week.

Attachments

• IMG_1978[1].jpg
    IMG_1978[1].jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 413
  • IMG_1977[1].jpg
    IMG_1977[1].jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 416
  • IMG_1975.jpg
    IMG_1975.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 411
  • IMG_1979 (2).jpg
    IMG_1979 (2).jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 412
  • Cadwell prize.jpg
    Cadwell prize.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 414
Interesting! If you're after torque, have a look at the dyno print-out of a K1200 engine fitted with K1100 camshafts, this will be my next build.
I've removed my turbo as constantly upping the performance resulted in the piston rings snapping. Building it was interesting, riding it was excellent, but over here in France, I think it was only going to be a matter of time before I was nicked.
I've now made an inlet manifold and am using one, 32mm Bing carburettor. It's taken a bit of setting-up, but with an Innovate and a bit of time, it's not been too difficult.
I'm awaiting delivery of a different slide spring and pilot jet, then I'll check the mpg.
The set-up is really simple, fuel tap and carburettor, no trips to the dyno for re-mapping etc.
O.K., so one-off mapped fuel injection is probably more exact, but if I've only got 90bhp instead of 95bhp, what's the problem?

I've gone for the 1100 because I can't find a 1200RS lump with wiring and TB's etc at a realistic cost.
I bought a complete, low mileage, 1100 for £450.

A lot of engine for not much money! I think the 1100 is the best standard engine, the 8-valve 1000 is the simplest for valve clearance adjustment but always feels like it needs a bit more oomph, the 16V 1000 has good top-end but lacks a bit of mid-range, the 1100 has enough go but also good mid-range torque, ideal for the road. (But that doesn't stop us looking for 1200 engines!).

The engine is with Mr S now and I've found a set of 284 grind cams as I've decided that the LT cams are way too torguey. I know this because I have a K1100LT runabout and it will go up most hills in top gear. I've also got a set of K12RS TB's to try. New bodywork ordered to replace crash damage.

I'll be very busy very soon.

Hi Mike, in spite of what I said about the K1100 engine, my search for a K1200 engine has continued.
A friend of a friend contacted me to say that he'd broken his K1200RS for parts as it had a problem with the sprag clutch and the ECU.
He's bought a new Triumph so everything had to go, but he still had the complete engine unit! I'm collecting it Saturday moring! :clap

Back
Top Bottom