New Bike BSA C15 SS80

Gents thanks for the feedback , and Edward for the carb settings. The carb has been worked on by Martin Bratbury, he engraves his name on the body. I ticks over well at present, however my Pal has fitted a Mikuni to his Tiger Cub just to get a better pick up.
Chas you are right about oil leaks , even with engine been rebuilt by SRM its far from oil tight.
165 miles now, thats 163 miles in the last 2 weeks and 12 since 1997 when it was rebuilt!!
Steve

Let's have some more photos of it out and about :)

If the Amal works well I'd leave as they look more in keeping with the rest of the bike, which looks great imo.:beerjug:

Tim it will be a while before the Burnley to Etna Rd epic occurs. But i will let you know if i do it!
Steve

Quick update on this thread, the Beeza is at 420 miles and running well. A corroded silencer was replaced with a British built replica over winter , all fluids changed at 200 and 400 miles and it just blat blats away. Lots of torque , super slow tickover ,allways remebering Im used to twins or two strokes.

Even took the missus for a ride, this really showed up the 1961 suspension!
Looking fwd to a summer of bimbling around the lanes with that lazy BSA beat.

As Tim requested I will post some pics when we are in some nice places in the Dales

Steve

Quick video of last nights ride around the lanes before the snow and ice comes!!
The clicking in the first section is the helmet strap hitting the camera.
Listen to the mechanical mahem when it hits 45 on the main road!

http://youtu.be/bvoxb2MW_9s

Steve

My first bike in 1969 paid £25 for it and used it to go to school

Quick video of last nights ride around the lanes before the snow and ice comes!!
The clicking in the first section is the helmet strap hitting the camera.
Listen to the mechanical mahem when it hits 45 on the main road!

http://youtu.be/bvoxb2MW_9s

Steve

Love the shot at the end Steve, and yes that reassuring sound of British engineering ie. metal on metal :D

beauty

Enjoyed your Video, i thought my my B40 was a rattler, guess they all do that, country roads are my favourite, exciting not to
have the reassurance of modern brakes !

Good video looks like it was getting along pretty well :thumb

That video, especially the sound track, brings back a lot of memories.

It's no wonder that the later BSA 250's (and bigger) became unreliable under the constant pursuit of more power. The basic design started as the 150CC Triumph Terrier and even in 200cc Tiger Cub spec it only put out 14 claimed BHP.:) The BSA B25 Starfire claimed 24BHP and the last of the line 500cc singles claimed around 40 BHP.

Used gently though they'll do big miles and use next to no fuel. A lot of the oil leaks are due to people having over-tightened the screws into the primary chain case. As I got my B40 (effectively a 350cc C15) as an ex-MOD machine with only 30 miles on the clock, (they were bought, tested, coated in a corrosion resistant goo and stored for use by Civil Defence in the event of a war then sold off about 12 years later when it looked like nuclear armageddon would not occur), it had never been abused and barely leaked any oil at all. From my home in Crowthorne it took me all over the UK, as far north as Burghead in Scotland, utterly reliable and cheap as chips to run. It had to be, I was a pauper.:D

Mine survived being hacked around the southern half of the U.K. By a 16/17 year old. Even managed to sell it for as much as I had paid for it

Back
Top Bottom