Can anyone recommend a Powder coater

tyclyd

Gary
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Mods – struggled to find the right place for this question, so please move if needed.

I am looking to get my final drive, swing arm and gearbox powder coated whilst they are all in bits for rebuild. I have found a couple of commercial powder coaters in south Wales but without using them it’s difficult to know what the quality is going to be like. Can anyone recommend a powder coating company that can prep (degrease, clean and blast) these alloy parts and then do a quality powder coat job?

There's a very good powder coater local to me in N Wales but they won't blast or coat a gearbox unless it's dismantled.

Aerocoat are probably one of the best automotive powder coaters in the UK.

Here's somebody (a bit) closer to home: http://www.washfordfinishings.co.uk/

I've used them for centre and side stands, and they've also done some garden furniture:augie

They have two outlets at Worcester and Redditch. I've taken mine to Worcester where they've shotblasted and then theyve run it over to Redditch to do the actual powder coating.:thumb2

Have not used these myself, but had good feedback from mates that have had work done by them, and i've received good advice from them recently.

http://www.bristolmotorcyclepowdercoating.co.uk/

Thanks Yonkyo, spoke to Warren there today on the phone, he inspired me with confidence so I am going to give them a go unless a local welsh firm is recommended. Ta

Results are in...

Thought it might be useful to finish this thread - Story so far is after much helpful support I took all my stripped out bits to Warren at Bristol Powder Coaters and we agreed a colour and price. Thought that was fair as the swing arm and gearbox case were very scabby. Few days later Warren phoned me to say he is having real trouble blasting off the original two part silver BMW finish on the gearbox and swing arm and he is justifiably concerned about pitting or damage to the materials and comes up with a couple of options. First is chemical stripping and the second is a hand paint prep and finish by a custom painter he recommended and deals with on a regular basis.

I initially contacted the strippers but to be honest they did not fill me with confidence, too long in the solution and my parts are useless and whilst they deal with car engine blocks etc., it was a side-line in a Lama wool production farm so I decided to give them a miss.

Enter into the scene, Ace from Ace of Sprays in Bristol. I have uploaded a few sample shots of the finished items. I decided to go for black even though the gearbox rebuild is on a silver original so I would know what was different to the bike…and to be honest just because I could. Plan is the gearbox, swing arm, torque bar and final drive will all be the same satin black finished by Ace.

Gearbox is currently with Steve Scriminger, will post a photo of the finished effect when it’s all done.

Attachments

• Gearbox (Large).jpg
    Gearbox (Large).jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 195
  • Gearbox-2 (Large).jpg
    Gearbox-2 (Large).jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 196
  • Swingarm (Large).jpg
    Swingarm (Large).jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 195
  • Swingarm-2 (Large).jpg
    Swingarm-2 (Large).jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 198
I had to heat and force (rubber mallet) the bush back into the torque bar this weekend and the paint stayed put during all that abuse so am hopeful. Thought a before picture might help?

Attachments

• Swingarm under.jpg
    Swingarm under.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 136

Back
Top Bottom