New Headlight for R1100GS

Judda

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking to replace the 'bus' headlight on my newly acquired 1100.

Ideally I'd like to make my own using headlights from a CBF or VFR or something, twin headlight of course, and maybe think about HID too.

The problem comes with the bracket, I either need to find a touratech bracket (the more expensive of the two that they offer) , IE: http://shop.touratech.co.uk/bmw-r850gs-r1100gs-dual-headlight-de-dipped-headlight-and-xenon-main-beam-light.html

Or I need to get some dimensions and try and get one made up.

Any clues, thoughts or pointers would be most appreciated :confused:

Cheers
:beerjug:

Hella do a great selection of bus and lorry units which will fit nicely I'm sure, but you will need to have some metalwork skills to make them work.

Given the cost of a replacement headlight unit for the R1100GS I would personally get one of these:

http://www.truck-lite.eu.com/tl27

They are used on all US military vehicles and simply plug in - you'd just have to make up an adaptor to mount it because the dimensions are slightly different. They're so bright you can see the colour of everything at night!

Round ones available too. Apparently they sell most of them to owners of old Landrovers who are fed up with the feeble yellow glow.

Thanks Cyrus that's another option alright.
Cheers

Cyrus, like the look of those. Do you know if anyone has done it? Not sure I like the price, but the light looks great.

Hi, I've never seen this done. Get your local acrylic chap to cut out a mounting plate and you'd have a smart new setup, though!

Thanks, interesting...

However I've decided to go with the twin lights from a CBR400 look, I have aquired spare headlight bucket (so I can build it slowly with my limited free time, but not have to take the bike off the road), the lights from the CBR and now I'm working on my own plate to mount the lights, like many things the project is sitting there for me to have the time !

Just worth mentioning....

Recently sold a TLA1100 kit to a gentleman in the UK who reported back that the EU left hand drive truck-lite unit "fits like a glove".

I am indebted to the man for taking the chance. The tolerances are quite tight so even slight variations in one mold to the next could be enough to cause fitment issues. Getting a left hand drive truck-lite over here has proven to be a bit of a pain. He spared me much grief.

He mentioned that this weekend he would attach the assembled kit and lite onto his GS.
If he reports back his experience and impressions I'll get his permission before I quote him further.

Maybe he's an inmate here?

R1100GS FOREVER!

Back
Top Bottom