Tired OE ESA system on my 2010 GSA - Wilbers or Hagons?

lmg

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
lg-Bob-the-Hamster-in-a-Coma-Get-Well-Soon-.png

Its been suggested to me that the OE (Original Equipment) ESAII suspension system on my 2010 BMW GSA 1200 is a "bit tired".

I have been told that Wilbers are the shocks to have, and that if I want to replace them I should speak to their UK outlet in Birmingham for a replacement set. I duly did that this morning and have only just come round from passing out at the price.

£1295 for a ride-in-ride-out Wilbers complete (front and back) replacement system melded to my on-board ESA system. WOW! OK, lets do the job ourselves....

£1175 just a bit less than a full WOW, but not enough to make a noticable reaction. Perhaps its the ESA bit that's reaming me on this - lets go "old fashioned" and have a manual adjustment....

£1049 sweetjesus.

So..... Hagon (which was described as a budget system) versus Wilbers - any thoughts? And what of Ohlins - how do they stack up to Wilbers?

You get what you pay for :rolleyes: try BMW for replacement cost :augie ,Iv got wilbers they are bloody superb I can push my bike harder than stock,you can add the value to resale or just refit old uns when you sell up ? Wilbers go for good £ on the used market.

To add Iv had a Hagon shock on a Tiger wasn't that old but seal was leaking when I parted with it :rolleyes:

The highly respected MCT at Stowmarket, who fitted "conventional" Ohlins to previous bikes of mine, advised me that if refurbishing a tired ESA system to go the Wilbers route.
They also added that if thinking of non-ESA shocks, they are selling fewer Ohlins & more Wilbers for road riding.
As & when the need arises, I'll follow their advice.

If I go for the esa version of willys am I still likely to suffer from esa issues?

Sent from SYDland......

The highly respected MCT at Stowmarket, who fitted "conventional" Ohlins to previous bikes of mine, advised me that if refurbishing a tired ESA system to go the Wilbers route.
They also added that if thinking of non-ESA shocks, they are selling fewer Ohlins & more Wilbers for road riding.
As & when the need arises, I'll follow their advice.

Would that be the very same MCT of Stowmarket run by Darren Wnukowski that offer a rebuild and re-oil/regas of the original ESA shocks with new seals for a modest outlay ??

I'm hoping to get mine rebuilt by them next Spring (bad pun not intended).

Bought a 2nd hand Wilbers rear in the summer, and with a little fine adjustment has been superb; need one for the front now (Craig...can you hear me!!!) and it'll be sweet.......:D

Would that be the very same MCT of Stowmarket run by Darren Wnukowski that offer a rebuild and re-oil/regas of the original ESA shocks with new seals for a modest outlay ??

I'm hoping to get mine rebuilt by them next Spring (bad pun not intended).

The very same, but I don't think Darren claims they are as good as Wilbers or Ohlins; the best he can do is get them back to near their original condition.

Wilbers make better shocks than Hagon.
The WESA system puts new hydraulic preload shocks on the original ESA motors and gubbins.
You could buy the bare shocks and fit your own ESA. Only issue is bleeding the hydraulics. They are under static pressure.
You could also have the originals rebuilt. Much less money but you do get what you pay for.

If buying used be sure to get the correct parts. Showa ESA is not compatible with the WP ESA.

Fitting Ohlins to my 1150 was the best thing I every did to it during 13 years of ownership.

Should the need arise on my 90 year GSA I will go down the Wilbers rather than rebuild route, although there is some logic in do it now while the Originals are in great condition so you can swap back at resale

Fitting Ohlins to my 1150 was the best thing I every did to it during 13 years of ownership.

Agreed

People buy so much complete tat for their bikes, overlooking suspension

Quality performance suspension adjusted properly is worth 10bhp, as Micky says

People ignore it because they don't understand it and it scares them

The very same.........the best he can do is get them back to near their original condition.

I'm sure Martyn , but the OP says his are 'tired' so I was suggesting a much cheaper alternative. MCT told me the top quality replacement oil they use will transform the damping on a tired shock for a very modest outlay. For me that's a good enough reason after almost 30k to get mine done.

FWIW I had manual preload Wilbers on my old '04 GS and rate them highly, but the price now is just too prohibitive.

I have Wilburs WESA on my '08 and am very happy with them. Having said that, I was happy with my OE shocks until they got tired. I didn't want to mess around in the future so opted for the Wilburs but having the OE shocks rebuilt is a valid and much cheaper option.

The only issue with Wilbers is returning them every year for a strip and service to maintain warranty.

I'm sure regular servicing is the right for any shock (even OE), but a hassle all the same.

I had a 2010 GSA and fitted Wilbers. I was also pretty unhappy about the price, but within a few metres of leaving the garage, post fitting, I realised that they were good. By the time I got back to Brighton, I knew that the money had been well spent.
Better handling, comfort and brakes. You won't regret it
:thumb

The only issue with Wilbers is returning them every year for a strip and service to maintain warranty.

I'm sure regular servicing is the right for any shock (even OE), but a hassle all the same.

Its every two years for mine but I'm not going to bother as the cost of a rebuild is about the same as a service. I'm not doing big miles a year at the moment so will take the risk on their longevity.

Back
Top Bottom