Tyres for green laning on a TTR250

bakerlonglegs

Relative numpty
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hello peeps, apologies if this is a :ronno thread, I did try a search first.....

I have a Yamaha TTR 250 which I use for green laning with the Herts TRF. The green laning trips are about 70% road, 30% trails, with the trails a mix of gravel and muddy ruts.

I currently have a Mitas C19 on the front and C02 on the back, now with a couple of hundred miles on them. I'm really struggling with the front tyre grip on wet tarmac roads, it feels very twitchy and I'm losing confidence with it. I'm running about 1 bar tyre pressure. (The C02 on the back ain't that confidence inspiring on the road either to be honest, but too much power isn't a problem I suffer from :augie and it's the front I really dislike. I will try changing the front first and see where that gets me.)

I know that trail tyres are always a compromise, and they're never going to feel fantastic on the back stuff. However, I've definitely felt more confident than this! Does anyone have any suggestions for an alternative tyre which would feel better on-road in slippy conditions but still capable off-road in the mud? The TTR lot seem to suggest a Comp IV on the front, anyone here tried it? Other options on the list are a Metzler 6 Day, Maxxis SI Cross and Trelleborg Army Specials.

Hi Bakes, sorry but I have no experience with the TTR but if it helps I run a Suzuki DRZ with a pair of Bridgestone Gritty's and have no problem on road or trail.

You might possibly be running your front a bit soft and are confusing tyre roll with slip sliding on the tarmac ?

PS. I hate riding in muddy ruts, I can do it but bloody hate it. :D

tyres

Comp six and six day both good. Its not the power its the pressure .some tyres have no feel what so ever ac10 are bad, you just need to put some faith in the ones you have fitted. Take your bike out with 20 psi in the tyres and see if it inproves.

Thanks for the replies and advice :thumb2

I'll try Pete's tyre pressures plan and take it from there.

:beerjug:

Mitas 644 on the front of Ange's TTR 250 with a CO2 rear.

I've got the ttr250 i use anything I can put my hands on, if you want grip in the mud you are always like to loose grip on the road and visa versa, best advice is slow down on the road,

Back
Top Bottom