do i keep panniers on when laning?

dibbs

Reaction score
Well i dont have rear crash bars fitted so should i keep side panniers on or get crash bars instead? And will my panniers still fit if i get crash bars?

Dunno

I wouldn't, but it's your choice

You may catch your leg in them, if you fall and break your ankle

Dunno

I wouldn't, but it's your choice

You may catch your leg in them, if you fall and break your ankle

I wouldn't either ... and yes, I got my leg caught up in a soft grass tumble on a campsite field :eek:

AND ... in a hard fall they could well bend the rear subframe :eek:

:beerjug:

Edit ... if they're plastic panniers they'll just break :blast

So crash bars it is then! Will my panniers still fit though?

Depends on the brand, some (H&B) sometimes just pop off the pannier racks and bounce down the road (I've been told it's a great spectator sport - from a distance) :D

Indeed it does :thumb

BMW's I was thinking :eek:

We had Hepco & Becker on the 650's through Siberia and Mongolia ... they are Tough, that's Tough with a capital T :D

:beerjug:

I have looked at the tank area without the panniers and in a fall it looks vulnerable! how tough/expensive is the plastic fairing to replace?

As above, I'd take the panniers off. When I've dropped mine (which is reasonably frequent in my case), the rear pegs and handle bars did a pretty decent job off keeping the plastics safe.

If you want some crash bars (front), I've got a set of SW Motecs that I've just taken off - in good shape other than a slight graze on the left hand one (easily touched up).

Thanks gigsy, do your crash bars come up over the top fairing? If so im interested, how much?

They're these ones (though not my bike)...

P1000211.jpg

I could let you have them for £50 + p&p... need to renew my subscription though before the mods get upset for selling via the site :)

PS, I have crashed tested these bars courtesy of a RR Sport and the fairings were undamaged - the bars only sustained a slight graze as mentioned. They did a great job and were only replaced as BMW only did their own ones on the insurance claim.

If the price is right, I'll take some photos so you can asses the condition etc. :)

ok cool i'll take em for £50 +p&p I haven't subscribed either so do I need to do that first so I can pm you my address and number?

Replied... sorry been away from the forum for a couple of days

Back
Top Bottom