2007 R1200RT ABS ISSUE

danreed87

Reaction score
Hi guys,

So I made a school boy error after only 77miles on my new bike. I tried to move the bike (with some force) with a chain still attached to the front wheel and through the break discs! Luckily I wasn't riding it! Ever since the brake failure light stays on when starting the bike - it used to flash when first starting the bike but now it stays on constantly. I have had a look and have noticed one of the squares on the ABS sensor ring is slightly deformed but I am unsure if the ABS sensor itself has been damaged. Will the sensor be able to sense a slight deformation in the sensor ring or is it likely that I have damaged the sensor? I ask as I don't really want to have to buy both. Also what is your advice on riding a R1200RT without ABS?

Thank you for any help or advice you can give :D

Cheers

Dan

If the the sensor ring is deformed and you can't straighten it that will need to be replaced. If the sensor was not damaged by the chain or hit by the deformed ring it is probably fine!

If your RT is without power brakes it will be the same as riding any bike without ABS, just take a bit more care this weather?

Thanks for the advice. New ring ordered :D. When I remove the front wheel and the bike is on it's centre stand will I need to weight the back down to stop it toppling forward and off its stand or will it balance itself?

You'll need a sensor as well.the flashing self test of the abs/asr circuits has detected a fault,probably the damaged sensor.thats why the light is staying constantly lit

Thanks for the advice. New ring ordered :D. When I remove the front wheel and the bike is on it's centre stand will I need to weight the back down to stop it toppling forward and off its stand or will it balance itself?

I use a large block of wood just under the front of the engine to support when cleaning or removing the front wheel. You will need to remove both calipers from their mounting in order to clear the rim.

Back
Top Bottom