Heated Grips

dibbs

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the if the heated grips go off after a while? While out on Sunday they were on full and lovely and hot for about 15 mins or so then went warm and seemed to stay there I had the 3 dots showing but wasn't as hot and toastie, are they on some sort of timer?:confused:

Mine stay on until turned off.

F650gs twin 2009.

Does a ignition on / off bring them back to life?

I did try switching them off and back on again but was nearly home so don't know if they got fully hot again!

I have the factory fitted heated grips on my F800gs, they only have two settings (one dot or two), and stay at a constant temp as far as I can tell.
They obviously feel warmer in town/slow traffic as no wind chill at lower speed as opposed to out on the open road.

They come on/off with with ignition.

This issue seemed to happen again today! I didnt have anything else charging or being used via the canbus system but the heated grips were on full as i do like warm hands! But they did seem to drop to a lower heat level after a period of time, why would the canbus not like the draw? As the bike was running all the time, could it be that they are on some sort of timing thingy?

This issue seemed to happen again today! I didnt have anything else charging or being used via the canbus system but the heated grips were on full as i do like warm hands! But they did seem to drop to a lower heat level after a period of time, why would the canbus not like the draw? As the bike was running all the time, could it be that they are on some sort of timing thingy?
On my 2013 800gs the heated grips once selected to be on, remain on permanently unless I select them to be off. Switching the ignition off does not reset the selection position.
My understanding of canbus leads me to believe that if the current draw exceeds pre designed parameters, the system acts like a fuse and isolates the offending item. In your example it sounds like a heat related insulation change causing a greater current draw when hot. Not much help, but it sounds like a fault rather than a design feature.
Alan R

Thanks alan that sounds like the most likely cause i think.

Agreed.

if the current draw exceeds pre designed parameters, the system acts like a fuse and isolates the offending item

Feature.

In your example it sounds like a heat related insulation change causing a greater current draw when hot

Fault.

Running the grips on full definitely shouldn't cause the canbus safety net to cut in.

Back
Top Bottom