Triumph Off Road Course

tuftywhite

getting away with it so far!
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
A friend of mine who has gone down the Triumph riding route has suggested we attend the Triumph Off Road course.

He's never ridden off road before so I want to encourage him as much as possible, in the hope that he'll convert his Street Triple into something sensible so we can plenty of larks off road as well as on them.

My question is, has anybody attended the Triumph course and if so is it similar to the BMW one?

I have suggested we go and visit Skygod for a day as I enjoyed my day with him early last year, and learned a lot too.

However, if the Triumph thing is the pull to my friend, I may go with it just to encourage him down this path.

Thoughts?

I've done the BMW course but not the triumph. However, several attendees of the course I was on rode triumph.

I thought that Triumph motorcycles could only be rode off road by a stuntman under controlled conditions and not to be copied? That's acording to Triumph Jjh

Tell him to buy a TTR250....

If you want your mate to get into off roading, you need to sell him a laugh, a hoot, a day that was fun fun fun, knackering, plastered in mud followed by a hot bath and maybe a few pints.

Go small. If you're a novice, you'll have a laugh on a 250 whatever your skill level. You can get up some speed, you can fall off and pick it up, you can park infront of your mate and dump yer clutch, you can ride alongside him and (gently) kick him into the hedgerow then bugger off laughing :D

A novice day on a BM / Triumph school is great, but it's not the above. If you want to sell the idea to him, find a commercial days trail riding on a 250 (maybe with instruction ?) and I guarantee a right hoot. Then .... you can work on the bigger bike thing .... :thumb2

Thanks for your input.

I think a day out with SkyGod will fit the bill, with a B&B in the Peak District close to a pub.

:thumb

You'll learn as much or more with Skygod and get to know some decent trails to go riding on that are local(ish) :)

Andres

If you want your mate to get into off roading, you need to sell him a laugh, a hoot, a day that was fun fun fun, knackering, plastered in mud followed by a hot bath and maybe a few pints.

Go small. If you're a novice, you'll have a laugh on a 250 whatever your skill level. You can get up some speed, you can fall off and pick it up, you can park infront of your mate and dump yer clutch, you can ride alongside him and (gently) kick him into the hedgerow then bugger off laughing :D

A novice day on a BM / Triumph school is great, but it's not the above. If you want to sell the idea to him, find a commercial days trail riding on a 250 (maybe with instruction ?) and I guarantee a right hoot. Then .... you can work on the bigger bike thing .... :thumb2

I would say that there's a place for trail riding and proper tuition. Experience and simply time in the saddle is great but so is time with an instructor, who can spend time on technique and practicing it. A day with Gaz is likely one of the best combos :thumb2

As to the original question - I've not ridden with the guys at the Triumph school but spend a little time having a chat with them at the NEC show and they seemed like a good bunch, focused more on travel and trail riding, rather than rally/race techniques. They're happy for you to use their bikes or bring your own and don't care if it's a Triumph or not. I'm tempted to get a day with them on the HP to see what they're about.

I thought that Triumph motorcycles could only be rode off road by a stuntman under controlled conditions and not to be copied? That's acording to Triumph Jjh

That was my understanding.

Perhaps its an off road/stuntman training course rolled into one ? :cool:

A friend of mine who has gone down the Triumph riding route has suggested we attend the Triumph Off Road course.

He's never ridden off road before so I want to encourage him as much as possible, in the hope that he'll convert his Street Triple into something sensible so we can plenty of larks off road as well as on them.

My question is, has anybody attended the Triumph course and if so is it similar to the BMW one?

I have suggested we go and visit Skygod for a day as I enjoyed my day with him early last year, and learned a lot too.

However, if the Triumph thing is the pull to my friend, I may go with it just to encourage him down this path.

Thoughts?

I took a mate to Gary's (Skygod) school for a days training. My mate has never ridden off road, but by the end of the days training he was growing in confidence, and enjoyment of the off road experience. The fact that I was there to support & encourage him, and improve my already 'silky' off road skills :green gri can only be a good thing. Plus, improving ones off road riding ability will ultimately improve ones road riding ability too, so it's a win/win.

As Giles states, cutting your teeth on a smaller cc bike is an absolute must; if your mate is interested, take him to ABW for the day as Gary uses the CRF250's which are a great bike to train on.

Never been on the Triumph course, but did the BMW course which was superb :D

Yes I've done the Triumph off road course in Malvern, bloody brilliant day. Took my son along both had no real off road experience but once shown the ropes and with a gentle start we were both soon going over gravel tracks, muddy fields and they were muddy and deep rutted, and Forrest tracks on a pair of 800XC. The trainer was spot on, talking through what to do, showing us then letting us try it ourselves once we had mastered what he had taught us we moved on to another level, never under pressure,and The location is excellent as well.we stayed at the B & B that was offered in the deal and that was spot on too. There were also some smaller machines in the garage so I presume they are also available as well if you didn't want to play with the weight of an 800. That said there was also a 1200 explorer if you were confident enough. Nothing seemed too much trouble so I would definitely recommend you can even hire kit if you don't want to wreck your own gear and yes you will get plastered in mud and no doubt fall off even if you are an experienced off road rider.

Back
Top Bottom