Poor running

Roadcaptain

Reaction score
ok for the last month or so I have noticed that my bike (53 plate 1150 twin spark) has been popping a bit more than usual, sounds cool i thought so just ride!
On starting she reset the clock a couple of times and it sounded like the starter was sticking on.
The other day I was riding along at about 85ish and it felt like a limiter had kicked in, I stayed on the throttle and it seemed to clear.
Since then she turns over fine but is slower to fire than normal and once started I have to stay on the throttle to keep her going until she has warmed up a bit.
before this she started fine with minimal choke and ticked over straight away.

once warm she rides sort of ok but feels a bit lumpier than normal

I took off and stripped the starter, battery is approx 11/2 years old and she is spinning up fine. starter now not sticking

she seems to be sparking fine on both main plugs

can anyone give me any pointers as to what to be looking for next?

I am thinking fuel related or poss problem in the heads.

cheers guys and Merry Xmas!!!

One thing to check because it is so easy and quick are the small rubber caps on the bottom of the fuel injectors used to balance the two injectors. With age these start to parish and cause a vacuum leak that will cause runability issues. No matter how they may appear tape over with electrical tape and start up and see if there is any improvement. Good luck and tell us please what the ultimate cause was.

I had the exact same problem recently. Well, leaving aside the 'limiter' issue.

In my case it was just a bad tank of fuel. I've only had the bike a month or two and I was quite worried but it starts without fast idle now and just goes. I hope this is your problem. Anyway, best of luck.

Owen.

Most of the symptoms sound like coil pack breakdown, with perhaps a weak battery adding to the confusion.

It certainly can't hurt to get some new ones if you can afford a pair.....you'll need to replace them at some point anyway, so if fitting new ones doesn't cure it, you'll at least have some spares for when you do.
Failing that, swap them out for some from a buddy's TS 1150 as a trial.

After that, I'd be looking at the HES.

Question....when the bike's misbehaving, have you noticed any flicking of the rev counter needle?

Mind you, I have also had a boxer limp to service with an 'I'm at the final seconds of life' hall sensor. Funnily, I got a taxi home from the garage and the taxi driver who picked up the fare, had coincidently passed me earlier on the motorway. He said were you the blue bmw that was struggling up the road?! I felt the bike was limited then. Hope you get it sorted.

Curious now. Are either the HES or the coil packs prone to acting up when it's cold? Or is that more due to the battery voltage?

she seems to be sparking fine on both main plugs

can anyone give me any pointers as to what to be looking for next?

Have you pulled off the two lower/secondary spark plug caps and tried riding the bike on just the main plugs ?

Curious now. Are either the HES or the coil packs prone to acting up when it's cold? Or is that more due to the battery voltage?

DrFarkoff here has long expounded a theory that has sounded reasonable, concerning low battery power fekking up the HES.

The coil packs don't seem to be affected by weather or temperature, and as long as the bike's running, the primary coil plus secondaries should give enough oomph for a good spark.

To see if the bike runs the same/worse. Eliminating the primary circuit. If its shite then youve found the defective part.

He'll be Eliminating the secondary circuit, not the primary.

It's the primary circuit coil sticks that cause the problems.

My 2003 GS is having the same kind of issues. When hot, it sometime starts to runs like the proverbial "bag o' spanners", not revving cleanly, cutting out and back firing. The rev counter then usually stops working. Also, when it cuts out, and I restart, sometimes the clock resets to zero. When I start from cold, the rev counter then works!
So treating it to 2 new stick coils and a new Odyssey battery to eliminate 2 possible causes. If that does not do the trick, will be back asking for help!:confused:
Watch this space.

My 2003 GS is having the same kind of issues. When hot, it sometime starts to runs like the proverbial "bag o' spanners", not revving cleanly, cutting out and back firing. The rev counter then usually stops working. Also, when it cuts out, and I restart, sometimes the clock resets to zero. When I start from cold, the rev counter then works!
So treating it to 2 new stick coils and a new Odyssey battery to eliminate 2 possible causes. If that does not do the trick, will be back asking for help!:confused:
Watch this space.

Bouncing rev is symptomatic of a failing hall sensor - you'll want to replace that too. Some options for just replacing the sensors rather than the whole unit. Do a search - lots of info and a good replacement guide over on ADVrider. Good luck.

Watch this space.

Look at the Motobatt batteries. Top quality and a lot cheaper than an Odyssey.

The wires inside the front engine cover connecting the Hall Effect Sensor are known to become brittle with age and heat cycling and can fail. A simple fix.

Many thanks for the input, looks like I will be looking at the HES next!

Thanks. Battery and stick coils arrived, when/if I get some free time, will fit and report.
The HES failing seems to cause the rev counter to bounce, mine just stops working, then works when cold started.
Must admit this is the most problematical bike I have had, I know it will be worth it in the end. Fingers crossed.

back on track for a minute guys, wondered if my problem could be related to running V-power fuel so just wondered what everyone else uses?

Back
Top Bottom