Which 250 enduro bike?

Losttheplot

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Guys i would really appreciate some advice.

I'm toying with the idea of getting a 250 enduro bike, primarily with a view to doing a few enduros in the new year, but it would also be used as a second bike for introducing novices to trail riding as well, So with that in mind gentle power delivery is a serious priority, and i'd also like to be able to concerntrate on where i'm pointing the bike during an event, rather than worrying out accidental throttle openings spitting me off the bike.

It could be 2 or 4 stroke, as long as it gives progressive power and isn't going to be a pain with jetting each time the seasons change.

It would also be a second hand buy- probably budget for around £2.5k.

Now i'm not interested in KTM. I've ridden loads of their bikes, and even with steering dampers fitted i'm sure they are all out to kill me in one way or another.

So what are the japanese offerings like? namely the CRF and WRF? are these little thumpers fragile or will they wear the miles quite well? I know a few forum members with the little honda's, and they seem to be excellent little bikes. Are the Yamaha's more of a top end nightmare when adjusting the valves or rebuilding the head?

I'm also quite taken with the Husky TE's, both 2 and 4 stroke models (in fact i've heard good things about the 4T), and then there are BETA bikes as well (are these still KTM power plants?).

Not ruling out gas gas either, but will my budget stretch to a 250/300 4t, or am i reduced to looking at 2t only?

All spanner work would be done by myself, so something pretty straight forward would be preferred, and not to high on the maintenance front, though i do appreciate that a full blown competition bike will need more TLC than the lardy trail bike equivalent.

Over to you...

Nathan

Yam or Honda both great bikes, low power but have to be revved to make them go quick. 4 stroke is more gentle than 2 stroke power band. Buy jap at that money don't go down the odd brands route, crf or wr best bet....husky 4 stroke buy at your peril money pit and no one wants them, that's why they are cheap .

Nathan, I had an '04 CRF 250x for a few years (until some pikey bastard stole it).
Very underwhelming powerplant, but I was quicker for longer on it because it didn't wear me out. The valves are shims, but after the first adjustment I found it quite simple. There used to be a problem with spoke tension on the earlier ones, but that should all have been sorted by now. Road riding could be a chore if you expected to go fast, mine topped out at 67 mph.
Suspension was good, brakes were good, electrics were never a problem. I got put away wet and left for weeks with only a cursory glance.
Brilliant little tool, if a bit soul less.
Mark

I took my new 07 gas gas EC 300 out for the first time yesterday. Nice and light loads of torque and usable power but a handful if you get out of shape in more technical stuff. My background is in trials and this is the 1st enduro I have owned, for the first hour or so I was riding rocks and trying to use it as I would a trials bike. Once I got my head around thinking quicker and not riding on the clutch as much i really enjoyed it and can't wait for my next look out. On the road its like I would expect most endure bikes, you're through the gears in no time and sitting comfortably in 5th doing about 50 without reving the knackers off it.

Why not look at AJP's I've ridden a couple of them and they're really nice, but not as expensive as a KTM.

+1 for the ajp Nathen my mates got one he abuses it big time he can't seem to break it, I think I might get rid of my crf and grab one myself there not bad money either .

Honda CRF230.

More a trail bike than an enduro bike but would be very good for introducing novices to trail riding and also fits the mild gentle power delivery criteria very well.

There may be a very tidy, very good one coming up for sale soon and you'll certainly get change from your budget.

Nathan, I had an '04 CRF 250x for a few years (until some pikey bastard stole it).
Very underwhelming powerplant, but I was quicker for longer on it because it didn't wear me out. The valves are shims, but after the first adjustment I found it quite simple. There used to be a problem with spoke tension on the earlier ones, but that should all have been sorted by now. Road riding could be a chore if you expected to go fast, mine topped out at 67 mph.
Suspension was good, brakes were good, electrics were never a problem. I got put away wet and left for weeks with only a cursory glance.
Brilliant little tool, if a bit soul less.
Mark

I remember your bike Mark, and it's predominantly the "underwhelming" power that attracts me to these bikes. I think my riding would improve a lot if i knew shutting the throttle wasn't an option, and momentum had to be maintained at all times :D

husky 4 stroke buy at your peril money pit and no one wants them, that's why they are cheap .

I'm not sure where Husky get this reputation? i've had 2 of them, addmitedly the older left hand kickstart bikes, and never really had an issue with anything husky had done (apart from when they stopped making kick start shafts for my 610), and my first 410 did over 10k miles without needing any engine work.

Some friends of mine ran the 250's in their trail riding business as daily riders. The first 250 finally got rebuilt at 6k miles, and that was only due to a customer ending up in a ditch with the bike running while inverted. :blast

Their build quality has always struck me as being better than the spanish offerings.

But i have to agree, the Japanese offerings are looking very appealing at present.

I took my new 07 gas gas EC 300 out for the first time yesterday. Nice and light loads of torque and usable power but a handful if you get out of shape in more technical stuff. My background is in trials and this is the 1st enduro I have owned, for the first hour or so I was riding rocks and trying to use it as I would a trials bike. Once I got my head around thinking quicker and not riding on the clutch as much i really enjoyed it and can't wait for my next look out. On the road its like I would expect most endure bikes, you're through the gears in no time and sitting comfortably in 5th doing about 50 without reving the knackers off it.

Gasser's 300 is a cracking bike, bottom end torque feels similar in delivery to the 650 rotax lump in my current bike :D. Is your bike fussy with jetting at all?

+1 for the ajp Nathen my mates got one he abuses it big time he can't seem to break it, I think I might get rid of my crf and grab one myself there not bad money either .

What is the suspension like on them Carl?

Honda CRF230.

More a trail bike than an enduro bike but would be very good for introducing novices to trail riding and also fits the mild gentle power delivery criteria very well.

There may be a very tidy, very good one coming up for sale soon and you'll certainly get change from your budget.

If i was just getting a bike to introduce friends to trail riding it would be an excellent choice, but my first concern is the bikes ability to perform on an enduro circuit, and after seeing a good friend of mine try everything to get the suspension on his 230 to perform, and failing, i think i'll pass on this at present.

Gasser's 300 is a cracking bike, bottom end torque feels similar in delivery to the 650 rotax lump in my current bike :D. Is your bike fussy with jetting at all?
I'm still finding my way around it, I think I might want to look at the very bottom end of the range but as yet I'm just happy to return in one piece :)

Not Enduro friendly though.......................you'd be goosed after half a lap:blast

I can still remember entering one of SETRA's enduro's at Tidworth on my XChallenge. I got a finish, but my wrist spent the next 2 weeks strapped up because of it....

enduro

Good trail bikes don't make enduro bikes its all about the suspension at speed, wr and crf make middle ground for clubmen. The pits show what it takes to make great bikes . KTM group husky and berg now all the same bikes but at a cost . if you look after your bike well it will return the favour. So they will all do miles with maintenance its just how much! Buy Honda or yam if you want more change again

Back
Top Bottom