Brake hose thoughts

Grim Rider

Reaction score
My 2001 R1150GS has now done 116k, with only changes in braking system being several sets of pads. I have new pistons and seals to fit (BMW calipers) but am wondering whether it is worth changing the hoses and keeping the ABS, or removing the ABS pump and fitting hoses as for non-ABS model, on grounds that it is perhaps only a matter of time before the ABS causes problems (has given no issues to date) and I might otherwise have to change the hoses when it does. Would appreciate thoughts based on your experience of similar, many thanks.
:beerjug:

Whatever you decide to do change those prehistoric hoses soon, they are well past their replacement time. If your ABS was servo I'd say remove it but I don't know enough about the non servo system and any issues or failures. One thing for sure, if you have it it will fail at some time, if you don't it can't. It would be a bugger to buy a nice set of braided hoses and then haqve the ABS fail soon after and need to buy a second set :)

I thought with the servoectomy published in the faq section there was a way of doing it with the abs hoses and not replacing anything?

Even if yours has ABS change them! Very straight forward (you'll need to bleed the ABS unit also - also straight forward). If you don't have ABS then the job will be quicker still.

Best of all you'll have some feeling back into the braking. You might wonder how you were managing with the existing set up.

Do some searches on here, lots of info :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Change the hoses now!! I have just had to do mine after one of the front hoses collapsed internally and stopped the pads going back. Fortunately it was in the garage at the time(the brakes had been feeling bad for a day or two). Fitted a full set of goodridge braided hoses including the rear from motorworks, dead easy to fit and after bleeding (you need to remove the tank and bleed the abs module, but easy) the brakes now work a treat and look great.

Why remove the ABS? Just leave it alone IMO. You can easily and cheaply replace the hoses. Bleeding is easy enough, even with the ABS in place. You don't hear about much trouble with the non servo systems.

I fitted SS from Motorworks to the rear of my 2000 R1150GS after I think my rear hose became a one way valve and cooked my pads and disc.
I then ordered and fitted a set for the front after reading horror stories on here. MW provided SS extended 60mm to cope with the 50mm Roxrisers I have fitted. I went for complete a SS line removing the solid link pipe. And I fitted a genuine BMW brake nipple to the rh caliper to replace the stupid thing I had to remove to fit the new SS line.
Brakes are a joy to use now with Ferodo Platinums.

Adrian

Adrian,
how did you bleed the system after you fitted the pipes? I'm having trouble finding a vacuum system down here and would appreciate your advice.

Adrian,
how did you bleed the system after you fitted the pipes? I'm having trouble finding a vacuum system down here and would appreciate your advice.

You really don't need the vacuum. Gravity will do most of the work. Really. Just replace all the hoses, fill up from the reservoir and fairly quickly you'll get back into a regular brake bleeding scenario i.e. Using the lever as the pump and opening closing the bleed nipples as and when...

Keep a bucket of soapy water handy to wash off the spills of which there's sure to be in a hose swap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is an interesting post for those of us with older GS's (mine is a 2002). Don't think there is any question about the hoses, change them, safety over economics every time! What is of greater interest is the reliability of the pre servo ABS brake system. Hoping to hear more on that aspect of this post.

Pre-servo ABS is almost bullet proof. And if you are unlucky and the modulator pack up they are pretty cheap (used item) and simple to replace.

As a rough guide going by the problems i see with brake hoses it's the top brake hose that fails completely on the 1100 models leading to brake failure and the lower hoses on the 1150 models that seem to disintegrate inside and cause the brakes to bind .

Thanks for all the feedback; most useful, especially Neil's endorsement of the pre-servo ABS - has convinced me to change hoses like for like and keep the ABS. Useful reminder that I also need to change the BMW bleed nipple in the right hand caliper too.
:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom