ignition module

BOB UK

Reaction score
Hi Chaps I hope some one can help me with this one I have a H reg 1991 R100GS and as I'm in the motor trade thought i might as well get some parts to carry with me cheap from our suppliers if I can
One of the things I was going to carry was an ignition module the one on my bike is marked
TELEFUNKEN 12.14-1244477 A9 339109

if I had a Bosch or Lucas number I could cross ref it
I have been told that it might be a Lucas DAB 400
if thats right that would be great as i seem to have a new one of them that i found in my Tool box LIKE YOU DO any way any info on this would be a great help
also is the hall effect switch available any were cheap ?
Thanks for reading this keep it rubber side down
BOB

I have heard that some of the cavalier modules fit ..I have taken a cavalier bosch distributor apart to get the hall effect swith out and thats the same and you can pick them up for next to nothing

DAB 400 is the correct ignition unit for youe bike. Roughly half the price from motor factors than the usual suppliers who now sell this unit instead of Bosch/telefunken. Intermotor also do an equivalent which can be cross referenced from the Lucas unit.

Have a look at the TRANSPO internet catalog.

It has a wealth of information.

For your ignition module, look up a BM300. Select Manuf. to Transpo, then under X Ref to Transpo, select BMW and look up your -477 number.

Once on the page, go to the bottom and click on the mechanical and electrical specs for the unit. Great info!

Thanks Chaps

Thanks for the info Chaps
Like I said I have a Lucas DAB 400 so I might as well carry it with me I also have a coil so that means the only thing I haven’t got is the Hall effect Switch I know that they don’t fail on the car very often has any one had one pickup on A bike?
And it’s not like Im going to be off round the world or anything like that
WELL NOT YET ANYWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now all you need is a diode board, regulator and spare battery.If the diode board blows and takes out the regulator and cooks your battery.................. Glad the info on ignition unit was useful.

(Bob, why don't you perform Frank Warner's dual ignition sensor modification.

Check out Frank Warner's Motorcycling Info & Projects page.)

It looks like a lot of work how often do the sensors fail? I suppose it’s only worth doing it if you sensor fails but then if we know when that was going to happen we would all be ok wouldn’t we
I like Frank’s site lots of good stuff

Alex your sites very good as well and you look like you have covered lots of miles on BMW ,S how about a quick list of the things that have let you down on yours ?
Bob

BOB UK said:
I like Frank’s site lots of good stuff.

Alex your sites very good as well and you look like you have covered lots of miles on BMWs, how about a quick list of the things that have let you down on yours ?
Bob

Well Frank, Anton and a few others have provided very good information to the BMW circles. Too bad we don't have more contributors like them on the numerous forums.

Lots of miles? Sorry to disappoint you. I am what you would call a low miler. I don't drive my motorcycle to work; pleasure only. For that reason I have fun heckling the riders that brag about their miles; you know the IBA guys and the silly BMW MOA mileage contest. But to each their own. I would rather do 3000 miles in the Alps than 30,000 miles elsewhere.

Failures? Nothing serious.

1990 R100 GS: warped brake disc under light use...go figure! (warranty), new speedometer - typical Motometer bouncing needle (warranty), Valeo starter magnets - fixed it myself twice so far (fix on my web site).

1980 R65: rear wheel bearing failure at year 21. Damn, you'd figure the original would last at least 30 years without maintenance.

1986 R80 GS PD (bought used and it has a Bosch starter :D) and both GS Adventures: nothing so far.

I still prefer my airheads over my oilheads. If BMW would just produce a R100 GS PD in red/white for me...I'd be so :D

But if you are really heading to nowhere, I'd have spares along: I'd do Frank's 2nd Sensor mod, ignition module, voltage regulator, diode board and maybe a rotor and ignition coil, also front wheel bearings. They can all be stored in a Tupperware container at the bottom of your side cases. People can always argue about other things failing, but when is the last time you spun a rod bearing, etc.

Thanks

Hi Alex
Thanks for tacking the time to replay
I think one of the good things about a site like this is that you can find out about problems that you might get in advance and be a bit more prepared for them but on the other hand you can end up expecting your bike to breakdown every time you go down the road some times its good just to go with the flow WHATS THE WORST THAT COULD HAPPEN????????

My experience

I've done at least 3 rotors on the G/S. And one hall effect. I used to carry spares for both - with the second hall effect inside the can I don't have to carry the spare trigger unit. With rotor failue you can ride on teh battery - and that is what usually happens as there is no warning unless you monitor the battery voltage. The hall effect is usually heat related - when cold it will work for a while so you can make it to the next place ... migh have to stop every so often to let the thing cool but you will get there.

Gear box output bearing due to swing arm pivots becoming loose. Bit noisy. And the drive shaft shock cam spring - wearing out the cam... just makes thunk noise when appliing power the first time, no failure to proceed.

No diodes, no regulators, no front wheel bearings. Usually only one diode goes on the diode board - find it and cut its lead off and you should be able to carry on with the reduced output. And no - it will not destroy the voltage regulator - the battery will cook first!

I've had two GS's first one had cracked coil and ate its Valeo starter motor, rear hub bearing collapsed. 2nd one blew its diode board which cooked the battery and the ignition unit failed, hence I found out about replacements from motor factors.

I started to carry crazy amounts of spares to include clutch and throttle cables,spare starter motor,diode board, ignition unit,regulator, relays, coil and plugs, bulb set required in Europe,cable ties and lengths of spare wiring and fuses, assorted fasteners and duct tape and a tool set that could literally repair the North sea fleet. I also had a syphoning kit and brake bleeding kit and a torque wrench

The bike never let me down once I had all the spares to fix it!! I reckon it knew it was not going to mess me about for long and so got on with its intended use. Mind you travelling in Europe without a change of clothes due to full panniers got a bit wiffy in the second week.

My first R100RS threw an exhaust valve but I got home on one cylinder, 480 miles from Rheims. That was fun with other riders not able to understand my lack of reasonable progress on a 490 cc single!

Just let the bike know who's boss and carry a VISA card

Mind you travelling in Europe without a change of clothes due to full panniers got a bit wiffy in the second week.

:hapybnce: :hapybnce: :hapybnce: :hapybnce:

Hung out in the breeze

thornley said:

Mind you travelling in Europe without a change of clothes due to full panniers got a bit wiffy in the second week.

A short stay in on a naturist site would have given you the opportunity to do all of your clothes washing and let it all hang out in the refreshing breeze - to dry.

Nudist camp!. I auditioned for a part in Planet of the apes and was turned down for being too lifelike!!! I ride a bike because I get full coverage in leather. I would only scare the kids.

Back
Top Bottom