Old coach road near Keswick

Simian73

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anybody on here ridden along the old coach road near Keswick? Looking at a weekend trip up there with a couple of mates in April and deciding on some routes, any recommendations are welcome!

I ride the old coach road near Keswick quite often. It was in good shape in early December. Good to ride in both directions, slightly harder West to East.

Thanks for the rely, we will see how the weather fares as looking at some vids, it can be a bit tricky if there has been a bit of rain.

coach road

It's been a couple of years now but.
We went from the Ullswater end, quite good going but the down hill towards the end was
quite badly washed away and quite rough with some big rocks.
Still doable though, I was on my 1200 gsa,(torrance tyres) wouldn't have fancied going up it, but going down was fine.
So, I would recommend going from the Ullswater side.

Anybody on here ridden along the old coach road near Keswick? Looking at a weekend trip up there with a couple of mates in April and deciding on some routes, any recommendations are welcome!

Sorry to be a pain, but could you tell me the road number of start and end points on this road? It sounds worth doing and I'm in the Lake District in August for a wedding so could include in my excursion. Thanks Jon

Joe if you go on the Cumbria County Council website and find the Heritage trails it gives maps, trails etc including coordinates. I think it's all in Highways section.

Thanks for the rely, we will see how the weather fares as looking at some vids, it can be a bit tricky if there has been a bit of rain.

If I were to ride it again, I would go west to east and get the climb over with first, I find uphill more fun than the downs.

When I rode it last year on my 1150 it was in quite a poor state in places with lots of wash out gulleys unless its been repaired. There were some very deep ruts and with tourances on it was worrying at times, going east my mate ended up walking his bike down most of the decvent towards to the road through the quarry.

Its a nice road to ride as its quite long but would recommend some chunkies rather than trail tyres unless your confident offroad (if your riding an 11 or 12 GS.

Joe if you go on the Cumbria County Council website and find the Heritage trails it gives maps, trails etc including coordinates. I think it's all in Highways section.

Awesome. Thank you

If I were to ride it again, I would go west to east and get the climb over with first, I find uphill more fun than the downs.

When I rode it last year on my 1150 it was in quite a poor state in places with lots of wash out gulleys unless its been repaired. There were some very deep ruts and with tourances on it was worrying at times, going east my mate ended up walking his bike down most of the decvent towards to the road through the quarry.

Its a nice road to ride as its quite long but would recommend some chunkies rather than trail tyres unless your confident offroad (if your riding an 11 or 12 GS.

Ok, so my plan of riding it with my friend that rides an RT just changed. Out of interest do people usually change tyres for a run ?

Ok, so my plan of riding it with my friend that rides an RT just changed. Out of interest do people usually change tyres for a run ?

Going east to west 75% of it would be passable for an RT on road tyres...the last 25% is a recipe for a dropped bike atleast half a dozen times.

Some folkes have two sets of wheels with one with road tyres and others with knobblies personally I use Heidenau K60 scouts good for almost everything.

look at this lot and make up your own mind.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/w2wsrppevcmaxe3/AAAh-FEk_6QV72B_1uaFGY9Xa?dl=0

Going east to west 75% of it would be passable for an RT on road tyres...the last 25% is a recipe for a dropped bike atleast half a dozen times.

Some folkes have two sets of wheels with one with road tyres and others with knobblies personally I use Heidenau K60 scouts good for almost everything.

Wow !!

I want a go. Please do let me know if anyone is going over there, I'd love to tag along. I promise to buy the cups of tea and bacon butties.

I'm planning another trip up probably march time with nick now we both have suitable tyres.

I confess..
I've never changed my tyres am I a liability ?
Is the best way new wheels and tyres or changing tyres ?

I confess..
I've never changed my tyres am I a liability ?
Is the best way new wheels and tyres or changing tyres ?
Ask yourself this

Am i prepared to drop my bike and smash indicators, mirrors, screens, scratch heads, tank etc etc.

(all if which ive done due to lack if skill and wrong tyres)

Am i skilled enough to handle a 1/4 tonne of bike on road tyres on gravel?

Am i fit enough and strong enough to pick said bike up 6 times in 100 meters?

Whether you go two sets of wheels or one set comes down to how much offroad will you do and how bad will it get.

Can i be bothered changing wheels and can i afford two get/have two sets.

Personally, i can neither afford nor be bothered with the two sets as offroad time is too limited and the k60s offer very good road performance and good offroad performance for £200 quid fitted. Versus £250 for just a set of wheels plus another £200+ for the TKCs

In my view i would stay on road or on just flat gravel tracks if you dont want to get chunkies.
Having a tyre like the k60 or even tkc80 knobblie will mean you will be able to ride and enjoy more trails.

Its a judgement only you can make.

Ask yourself this

Am i prepared to drop my bike and smash indicators, mirrors, screens, scratch heads, tank etc etc.

(

Are you crazy !!

My bike is waitrose car park only, if it's been cleaned recently and the relative humidity is >60% with a less than 3% chance of rain.

Are you crazy !!

My bike is waitrose car park only, if it's been cleaned recently and the relative humidity is >60% with a <3% of precipitation !

I think I need another bike..
Thats the reality of riding offroad at some point you will come off and you will break something possibly even part of your person.

If your not prepared for that then stay on the black top.

Thats the reality of riding offroad at some point you will come off and you will break something possibly even part of your person.

If your not prepared for that then stay on the black top.

Sorry using new tapatalk and it randomly deletes content .

I am going to have to try that, it's only about 20 miles from me as well! :beerjug:

Ask yourself this

(all if which ive done due to lack if skill and wrong tyres)

Am i skilled enough to handle a 1/4 tonne of bike on road tyres on gravel?

Am i fit enough and strong enough to pick said bike up 6 times in 100 meters?

Whether you go two sets of wheels or one set comes down to how much offroad will you do and how bad will it get.

Can i be bothered changing wheels and can i afford two get/have two sets.

Personally, i can neither afford nor be bothered with the two sets as offroad time is too limited and the k60s offer very good road performance and good offroad performance for £200 quid fitted. Versus £250 for just a set of wheels plus another £200+ for the TKCs

In my view i would stay on road or on just flat gravel tracks if you dont want to get chunkies.
Having a tyre like the k60 or even tkc80 knobblie will mean you will be able to ride and enjoy more trails.

Its a judgement only you can make.

Have you by any chance down the BMW off road course ? If so, how does the terrain compare?

Back
Top Bottom