akito desert suit

sid james

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
at risk of being ripped apart,does anyone have experience of the akito desert suit please? reputed to have removable thermal and waterproof layers.

Its a piece of crap, avoid.
Had one in 2009, didnt last a 10 day trip in france, leaked like a sieve and the gussett completely ripped open.
Took mine back to J&S for a full refund.

Well......now hang on a sec.
All these waterproof liners are shit. They are a really bad idea.
I have a Desert suit and its great for use in hot climates......duh.
It has loads of vents and is pretty hard wearing. When I get home I hoy it in the washing machine. It always comes out looking pretty good.
I had the waterproof liner fail on a VERY expensive Rev-It suit. That's when I realised what a shit idea it was. Have you ever stopped at the side of the road to fit your water proof liner ........ You will not do it twice.
Yes, get the Desert suit......but then bin the waterproof liners and get some decent E-Vent or Goretex walking waterproofs.
If it rains, slip them on. The suit stays dry....you stay warm.

The waterproof layer should be on the outside.....where the rain is.

Had the jacket in white/sand and during heavy rain all the black dye from the shoulder areas ran all over it & as said mine wasn't much use in the wet was glad to get rid.

Exactly! :thumb2

Why would anyone, ever think that having waterproof 'liners' was a good idea? :nenau :blast It's just stupid, on every level...

Ride in what you like (leathers, textile, whatever), and when it rains put on a one piece oversuit, or Goretex waterproofs.

Further - i've binned the thermal liner from my suit too.
I carry a fleece and put it on under my suit if i'm cold. I carry North Face waterproofs to put on if it rains.
So - when I get where i'm going, I have a fleece and a waterproof jacket to wear and I don't have to walk round all day in a feckin bike jacket with armour.

Well......now hang on a sec.
All these waterproof liners are shit. They are a really bad idea.
I have a Desert suit and its great for use in hot climates......duh.
It has loads of vents and is pretty hard wearing. When I get home I hoy it in the washing machine. It always comes out looking pretty good.
I had the waterproof liner fail on a VERY expensive Rev-It suit. That's when I realised what a shit idea it was. Have you ever stopped at the side of the road to fit your water proof liner ........ You will not do it twice.
Yes, get the Desert suit......but then bin the waterproof liners and get some decent E-Vent or Goretex walking waterproofs.
If it rains, slip them on. The suit stays dry....you stay warm.

I always thought that after a year or two of biking and then as a courier which tested waterproofing to the max... Same again ten years later when I got my 1st BM stuff... Then I played with the waterproof liner stuff and finally gave up after a pitiful March Aberdeen to Cornwall run where it pissed down Perth to Carlisle from the Midlands to Penzance... Totally soaked, cold and pissed off even with heated jacket on... Now back to a one piece oversuit with no draughts etc and the extra warmth and comfort is amazing...

I am after a 1 piece suit but will keep using an oversuit for the reallllllly bad stuff...

What I cannot get is the fact that you can have a really expensive shell and the water just the other side of a "waterproof" liner with a bit of thermal thrown in...

Avoid !
I had one. Trousers stitching pulled out at point
A friend of mine also had one fail on the seams
In INMHO a very weak garment took the hit and binned it as I had NO confidence that it would provide any protection in even a modest "OFF"

Back
Top Bottom