Boot advice for green laning.

I've never understood why MX boots are invariably not waterproof. Maybe someone could shed some light on this peculiar phenomenon.

I've never understood why MX boots are invariably not waterproof. Maybe someone could shed some light on this peculiar phenomenon.

Invariably because they are made for 3x40 minute MX races usually held in dry conditions

We use the same boots for 8 hours of trailriding or Enduro in all manner of weather conditions because nobody makes a specific Enduro boot ~ although manufacturers are now making waterproof Adv boots - but I don't know if they are similar in protection to MX boots

There are a few Enduro versions of MX boots around now, mostly adding a grippier sole but not waterproofing. Forma TX Terrain Enduro and Alpinestar Tech 3 All Terrain are a couple.

I've got A/Star Tech 7's & Sidi Crossfire 2 SRS (both MX boots)....out of the 2, the Crossfire's are the most comfortable & offer a great amount of protection. I also wear knee pads which run down the top part of my shin.

I wear ski socks to give me an extra few mm of padding and they offer decent waterproofing too; saves my feet from sweating too much....:D

So here's where I'm at.
I've tried to squeeze my left foot into all sorts of shapes, sizes and brands of motocross boots but it's just not happening for me.

It seems to come down to a choice of 3 boots, none of which are really what I thought I wanted or needed.

1) Sidi Adventure boots which are as expensive as Cross fires with far less protection.
2) Fox Comp 5 Off Roads at £140 off Tinterweb
3) TCX Desert Gore Tex from a local dealer at £225.

I much prefer the idea of buying locally but would appreciate the advice of The Collective regarding the respective boots please. :bow

Sidi Crossfire with Sealskinz for me, tough as old boots as they say. Boot sizing is a bit small though, order one size up.

Comfortable but don't plan on walking far in them and not waterproof in deep water!

Aye, the guys at Leisure trail lent me some KTM socks. I suppose I just have odd shaped feet.:nenau

My road boots are Alpinestars so I'll maybe try some of them on somewhere.

Have you tried Alpinestar Toucan's - just bought a pair from Pidcocks Triumph. Bit more protection than the Sidi Adventure boots and Goretex.

https://www.fc-moto.de/Alpinestars-Toucan-Gore-Tex-2014/en

PS - was it you who spoke to me outside LeisureTrail last Saturday as you went in (was on the green GSA)?

Have you tried on AStar Tech 8's / 10's? They seem to have a wider fit across the foot than most.

I've seen the Toucans Paul mentions and they look to be really well made and as he says, like the Sidi's but more so.

If the choice is only out of the three given the the Sidi Adventures get my vote. Mine are six years old now, have done Maroc twice, the Himalayas, Tesco's and green laning. They are still 100% waterproof, very comfy and look to have loads of life left in them. At the end of the day they still offer a very high level of protection just not quite as much as a good MX boot.

Andres

Cheers chaps. Some more good advice there. I'll have a butcher's when I get chance.

PS - was it you who spoke to me outside LeisureTrail last Saturday as you went in (was on the green GSA)?

It was! Beggar me. Small world & all that. Traitor. ;)

Cheers chaps. Some more good advice there. I'll have a butcher's when I get chance.

It was! Beggar me. Small world & all that. Traitor. ;)

..........was just looking for some boots - same as you :augie

If you are going to be paddling through streams and rivers prior to fording them waterproof boots are a liability. Once they fill up they don't empty and take for ever to dry out as well. +1 Non waterproof boots with seal skinz as above.

For anyone who may be in a similar situation here are the results of my findings so far.

I eventually went with the 43 my usual size, they are snug but not too tight. The 44 were really comfortable, you know the way when you put on a new helmet that's a size too big for you it feels great but you know it's just not right or won't be after it's been on a couple of hours.

After wearing them around the house for the inner to mould to my foot shape with firstly air of thin nosh socks, then a pair of sealskinz I am sure I have made the right choice, though a day on the bike tomorrow should confirm this.

Thanks again for everyone's input, bring on the warmer weather.

Stuart

Another boot not mentioned here I don't think is Gaerne SG 12 or even 10, expensive but supposed to be like slippers. Good luck with your hunt.

Looks like you may have to go up a size and wear two pairs of socks on the smaller foot.

Cheers. Thanx for the update & the PM, really appreciate it.

Well, in the end I've gone against everyone's advice (don't you just hate people who do that?) and bought the TCX's from Mark Phillips of Lincoln.
I'm confident that I simply can't get what I really want, ie a motocross boot, so decided to look at the other options. I need some new road boots anyway so I bought the TCX as they are Gore Tex & get decent reviews, I was also happy to support a helpful local retailer who offered me a better deal than I could find on the Interweb.
I'll try them in my 1st foray into Trail riding next week & if they do prove to be inappropriate I'll just use them as my road boots. Win/win, sort of. :nenau

Cheers. Thanx for the update & the PM, really appreciate it.

Well, in the end I've gone against everyone's advice (don't you just hate people who do that?) and bought the TCX's from Mark Phillips of Lincoln.
I'm confident that I simply can't get what I really want, ie a motocross boot, so decided to look at the other options. I need some new road boots anyway so I bought the TCX as they are Gore Tex & get decent reviews, I was also happy to support a helpful local retailer who offered me a better deal than I could find on the Interweb.
I'll try them in my 1st foray into Trail riding next week & if they do prove to be inappropriate I'll just use them as my road boots. Win/win, sort of. :nenau

Was it the TCX Desserts you went for in the end?

Being as you went against everyone's advice happy to post this link to Lids Direct with a further 20% off until tomorrow with code SALE20 :D:D:D

http://www.lidsdirect.co.uk/boots-1/brand/tcx-boots/tcx-x-desert-gore-tex.html

Let us know how you get on with them :thumb

It was indeed.:D

To be fair the price I paid was only a tad over the price on offer on your link and I'm happy to support a decent local supplier.
Especially as I'm hoping to go back soon to buy new jackets and trousers for myself and my wife for use on the GSA; I'm hoping he'll look after me in a similar fashion then.

I admire your style though, it does rather serve me right.:thumb2

Quick update, full day in North Wales yesterday, boots were fabulous, very happy with my choice.

Back
Top Bottom