Boot advice for green laning.

thor1340

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
After learning to ride the lanes over the last two years in a secondhand pair of motocross boots I am now looking to make my first purchase of a proper pair of boots. I don't race, or enduro only hit the lanes but often find myself under the bike! Like the idea of waterproof boots but realise this is a myth unless I go for an adventure style like the Sidi Adventure or TCX Desert or Forma, or even a trials boot. Will these boots be supportive enough and protective for a relative newbie, or am I better off with a solid pair of motocross boots and sealskins? Happy to spend the money, just don't want to regret it six months on if I pick up an injury which might have been avoided with a stiffer more solid boot.
Cheers in advance for your suggestions and advice.

Treaded (not smooth) sole - or you'll be arse over tit when you're trying to stand up!

I wear Sidi Trials boots for riding Trials

I wear Sidi MX/Enduro boots for riding Trails

Foe very obvious reasons, they are designed for different jobs

Trials boots have more 'feel', but offer less protection

Enduro Boots come higher up the leg and are stiffer, with more hard protection and as 'feel' isn't so critical - they are better

Trailriding = Enduro boots

Yes, I agree ... MX (enduro) boot. I see the TCX and the Sidi adventure style of boots as a bit of a fashionable 'goes with my adventure bike look' boot. It's not a serious contender for proper off roading.

This was with a pair of Alpinestar tech ... errrr .. 5's I think. Don't worry about waterproof or not, go for protection.

:thumb2

I use Sidi Adventures on the road and occasionaly I'll wear them on the lanes although TBH it always feels a bit like when you wear jeans on the bike; really nice but always at the back of your mind is "what if............" Plus points are that they are very comfortable, waterproof and they have nice grippy soles

99% of the time on the trails I wear Alpinestar Tech8 MX boots with seal skins if it's wet. IMO they offer the best protection out there (even better than 'Enduro' boots) and whilst expensive they last a long time (mine are a good 8 or 9 years old and whilst looking shabby are still up to the job). The smooth soles are occasionaly a pain but not the big deal some make them out to be and seal skins take care of lack of waterproofness.

I was out on ther Husky last Sunday and mis-timed a 'front end lift' of the bike at the begining of a rocky flight of steps. A heavy but low speed fall had me pinned under the bike and this is what my leg looks like now - I dread to think what it'd be like if I'd not been wearing my Tech 8's!

Oh and Giles, you're such a girl - call that a bruise :rolleyes:

Andres

I wear Sidi Trials boots for riding Trials

I wear Sidi MX/Enduro boots for riding Trails

Foe very obvious reasons, they are designed for different jobs

Trials boots have more 'feel', but offer less protection

Enduro Boots come higher up the leg and are stiffer, with more hard protection and as 'feel' isn't so critical - they are better

Trailriding = Enduro boots

Very good advice.....

You been using Amanda's immac again ...???

Look up Gaerne Boots or Novogar , they both do protected motocross style boots but with a decent cleated sole for grip. the gaerne ones in particular have a vibram commando sole

Now this is a bruise :augie

BruiseoftheWeek_zps80e542c4.jpg

I don't think any type of boot would have protected against that bruising!
Thanks for the sage advice, looks like a pair of Sidi Crossfire 2's TA sole, tried a pair of 44 on today I usually take 43 so shop is ordering in a pair for me to try, either way it's going to be one or the other. Best price I could find without having to use internet/mail order was £319, so going to be skint for a couple of months.
Thanks again.

Good advice above.

Full on MX boots.......you'll hate them to start with and will curse changing gears 'cos they're inflexible, but they're supposed to be.

Ankle protection, a plate in the sole (shank) so if (WHEN!) you squish your foot into a rut under the bike, all of those little bones in your foot don't get crushed into gooey shards.

Shin protection on MX boots is one of those things you look at in a slightly puzzled fashion, until the first time you drag your shin up the pegs really hard as your body heads over the bars, trapped by your foot....then you'll bless the OTT armour.

Best advice I can give it to TRY some.......especially if you've got tosser sized calves.

I take a size 13-14 boot but even with that size, it's odd how many boot manufacturers seem to assume you have the legs of a little girl :blast

I've broken an ankle and several toes when NOT wearing my full on MX boots, and I only have the twat who decided which boots to take to blame for that :blast

Don't fuck about, get proper MX boots.....not necessarily the most expensive (or even the biggest named ones) , but the best fitting sensible ones FOR YOU :thumb

I don't think any type of boot would have protected against that bruising!
Thanks for the sage advice, looks like a pair of Sidi Crossfire 2's TA sole, tried a pair of 44 on today I usually take 43 so shop is ordering in a pair for me to try, either way it's going to be one or the other. Best price I could find without having to use internet/mail order was £319, so going to be skint for a couple of months.
Thanks again.

£290 at Leisure trail in Long Eaton. Tried on a few pairs today. I take a size 8 but had to go up to a 9.5 to get one to fit my right foot and a 10.5 to fit my left foot by which time the right boot was too big.
Back to the drawing board for me. :mad:

£290 at Leisure trail in Long Eaton. Tried on a few pairs today. I take a size 8 but had to go up to a 9.5 to get one to fit my right foot and a 10.5 to fit my left foot by which time the right boot was too big.
Back to the drawing board for me. :mad:

Thick socks ?

If you were trying Sidi you will need a bigger size than your normal shoe size ;)

Aye, the guys at Leisure trail lent me some KTM socks. I suppose I just have odd shaped feet.:nenau

My road boots are Alpinestars so I'll maybe try some of them on somewhere.

For some bizarre reason most MX boots seem to be US sizes so you'll nearly always find that you go up a size.

Fanum's also correct about calf adjustment never being enough if you have anything bigger than stick insect calves - one reason I wear Tech8's as Alpinestars are one of the few boots I can actually do up around my calf comfortably (and I'm hardly 'Tosser' sized either).

Andres

Back
Top Bottom