Newish member. Blown gear box

Thanks for sharing Bob.

It's a real pleasure to see a job being done properly.:beerjug:

The majority of folk would have probably just fitted a new gearbox and junked the old.

I'm sure Mr Hmmmz appreciates what you've done.

I'm sure Mr Hmmmz appreciates what you've done.

He hasn't had the bill yet :augie :augie :augie.

I've had to buy more parts for this box than is usual and those "High Fifth" gears are not cheap.

Anyway, the next time he heads for Le Continent I won't be worrying about the gearbox or clutch :thumb.

(I still want to spray that tank though :rolleyes:)

:D :D :D

Bob.

He hasn't had the bill yet :augie :augie :augie.

I've had to buy more parts for this box than is usual and those "High Fifth" gears are not cheap.

Anyway, the next time he heads for Le Continent I won't be worrying about the gearbox or clutch :thumb.

(I still want to spray that tank though :rolleyes:)

:D :D :D

Bob.

Amazing thread, amazing job Bob, amazing spirit Bob. UKGser is very privileged to have such a member as yourself :bow

What a brilliant description of a piece of work. I can barely replace a light bulb yet feel that with this tread open alongside me I could tackle a gearbox rebuild. If Voyager is not the guy who writes and illustrates Haynes manuals he should be.

Bob is a hero.....not only will he rebuild a gearbox but he will then put it in a bike and ride it to Cardiff and back to go to some dopey car boot sale. And when he gets back, mend a Toyota Landcruiser.

He would then donate the gifts(whisky) to a bikers pishup that he dosn't go to..

And he's such a nice bloke......erse!!!

He has many admirers both on here and in the BMW Club. We are all too quick to dismiss such stalwarts...a legend in his own lunchtime....

And he will give you a run to the airport....if you give him whisky......so he can give it to us.....result........

Thanks Bob...

He has many admirers both on here and in the BMW Club. We are all too quick to dismiss such stalwarts.

Errr, I left the BMW Club many years ago :augie.

All this grovelling for whisky is very unbecoming Gerry :D :D.

I'll see what I've got in the cupboard ;).

Bob.

Great bit of work there. If I was the Newish member who'd just had this job done I'd be a little concerned. Don't trash the bike, don't drop it, don't get it nicked.

Oh and cheers for the whisky, I have been a benefactor (when Gerry's attention was diverted)

Too be fair it'd take a special kind of thief to steal my old rat :) I'll keep her till the day I die though. Massive thanks to bob for all the expertise and breathing a new lease of life into the old girl. I'm looking forward to picking her up and going for a ride. Hope you enjoy the whisky jock. ;)

Well, where was I . . Oh yes - the clutch.

All the new parts (plus one old one) were laid out:

DSCN3988_zpshrwkrpxo.jpg

I then de-greased and washed the flywheel and housing as well as I could with Industrial cleaner and hot water (DOH, I should have set the camera 'white balance' to "Daylight" :blast).

DSCN3989_zpsikdjzwz5.jpg

I used 'Optimol TA' on the splines and spring contact points before assembly to make sure that everything moves smoothly.

Its just like a car clutch and the friction plate needs to be centred before the cover plate is tightened down. I used a spare Input Shaft with the pushrod pushed through to the diaphragm spring to align everything before the 6 set screws are tightened down evenly to a final torque of 17 lbs/ft.

DSCN3991_zpskerh7z9x.jpg

The Input shaft is then withdrawn and the gearbox installed. I had removed the swing arm to make this easier.

DSCN3993_zpsmrwjjoqs.jpg

With the gearbox installed (the splines lined-up OK, thankfully) The airbox goes on - this is not a nice job as the two upper bolts are a fiddle. I should have ground a 6mm Allen Key down a bit but decided to just take my time over it.

DSCN3994_zpsy4xjhenk.jpg

Notice anything missing . . . Yup, I forgot to put the cross-over fuel pipe in so it all had to come apart . . Bummer :blast.

The clutch operating arm is then installed and set to the requisite 203mm clearance from the cable mounting lug (The BMW Club had long articles in their mag about this :augie ).

DSCN3995_zpskcgle67p.jpg

I thought I'd better put a new Air Filter in while I was at it :rolleyes:.

DSCN4000_zpsacalymqq.jpg

The rear brake stoplight switch looked a bit past its best - but it works :thumb.

DSCN4004_zpsv9k3vc2r.jpg

The swing Arm was installed, centred and torqued-down. A new Speedo Cable boot was fitted in place of the hard and cracked one and everything started coming together.

I remembered to fill the gearbox with oil and while I was at it checked and topped up the bevel drive and drive shaft. The engine oil was nice and clean so didn't need touching.

DSCN4006_zpsabpwowjj.jpg

Then the rear carrier, tank, seat and silencer :)confused:) were fitted. This involved bad language and a lack of photographs but finally here we are . . . .

The Rat Bike Lives :bounce1 :clap.

DSCN4026_zpsfl4ypeiv.jpg

DSCN4029_zpsr3e9gh9o.jpg

DSCN4033_zpsemt0rmtp.jpg

DSCN4035_zpsgswv40p0.jpg

DSCN4034_zps5wt6xsnu.jpg

DSCN4036_zpskmkgmypb.jpg

I gave it a quick run up and down the farm road where I live. It was "Interesting". The throttle cables and carb tuning need some attention and it could do with some more asbestos wrap on the pipe but it ran, went and stopped OK. Good enough for Logan to ride it a long way from me anyway :D.

I even washed the wheels and forks (I decided not to get the tank wet :augie).

Job done (my job, anyway, there are other jobs that need to be done on it but where would I stop :nenau).

Now for some of my own projects.

Bob.

well i picked up old rusty,
she's considerably cleaner than when i left her.. touch of OCD bob?? :D
wow what a difference the clutch is, way lighter than what im used to, even lighter than my ktm
semi eventful ride home, was only running on one cylinder, but happily ran on both at idle and on choke,
so looks like blocked main jet on left carb, but could still happily do 60mph on the choke on the bypass with the new higher 5th.

i think it would be prudent to follow bobs advice and replace all the rest of the cables, as well as clean and balance the carbs, she's also due for a valve clearence and close the gap a bit on the rocker shaft to quieten the rattly noise.

all and all pretty impressed.
your a legend bob

I'm glad to hear you got home safely, Logan.

It sounded good as it went up the farm road :thumb.

It sounds as though it won't take much to get it running sweetly ;).

Glad you like the clutch :D.

I hope it serves you well :clap.

Bob.

Logan's Bike Stolen

Just noticed on Facebook that Logan's bike was nicked last night from his house in Newtongrange. Probably being used as a bing bike by some scrotes on holiday from school.

His KTM also got nicked.

Hopefully he'll be lucky and they'll be found after being dumped when the fuel runs out.

Seems to be a lot of bikes getting stolen around Edinburgh just now.
If I meet a tourist riding around Edinburgh, I make a point of advising them to make sure they make the extra effort to lock their bikes up.

He's got the BMW back - "got the bmw back, ditched in a bush as it no fuel or lines connected. ktm still missing y901 rsa is the plate number"

Back
Top Bottom