Pricing of new RT's ?

I bought a BMW car 14 years ago, any gearbox option, including manual, was extra on top of the quoted base price.

Are you sure? I've been buying BMW cars for 20 years, and the base price includes a manual gearbox, with automatic being an option. What car was it?

Why shouldn't BMW charge extra for paint ?

They shouldn't charge for standard paint, as they will not sell an unpainted bike. So, knowing that people will have to pay extra for paint seems a bit underhand, and I'm surprised it's actually legal.

Well I cannot see on the BMW website any charge for paint. When I bought mine in September there was no charge for paint. Is this a wind up ?

As for charging for extras thats fine. If you want a basic RT you can have it. Its up to you.

They shouldn't charge for standard paint, as they will not sell an unpainted bike. So, knowing that people will have to pay extra for paint seems a bit underhand, and I'm surprised it's actually legal.

Agreed - looking at the BMW web site it shows 3 colour options - all metallic and shows metallic paint as a £125 additional cost :blast

No problem with BMW charging additional amounts for extras so long as it is actually possible to order a bike without them.

Well I cannot see on the BMW website any charge for paint. When I bought mine in September there was no charge for paint. Is this a wind up ?

As for charging for extras thats fine. If you want a basic RT you can have it. Its up to you.

From the Website:
BMW R 1200 RT.
UK PRICING & SPECIFICATIONS.
Factory Fitted Options:
Description: Price inc. VAT - Duel Colour Paintwork £295.00 Metallic Paintwork £125.00

Look again ........... salesman mentioned that it was a change from last year , (so no , it's not a wind up !)

Why shouldn't BMW charge extra for paint ?. At the moment they are able to empty the bank accounts of many people for ESSENTIAL things, like a thing for changing gear quicker and a thing to hold the bike on a hill !. My 2012 RT hasn't got a hill hold thing or a gear changing quicker thingy, and i never, ever need them. I am happy to say i can ride using my own hands and feet.
BMW are milking feckless fools for all they've got as they are having a great time at the moment selling all sorts of expensive extras, many of which are not needed. Whilst idiots will pay for it, BMW will supply it. AT GREAT COST.

Haven't you/we been here before?? I don't "need" them either, surprisingly I too can ride using my own hands and feet, as I do on other bikes without said features. But I have them because they both came loaded on the nearly new RT I purchased at significantly under new list price. And they both work really well as it happens in my opinion. If that makes me a "feckless fool" or an "idiot" in your opinion for admitting it, I frankly couldn't give flying feck, you're entitled to your blinkered luddite perspective.

Don't know about the RT but the 2015 1200GSA comes in arctic white as standard with green or blue available for an extra £80.

I've just looked at the R & RT pricing (PDF) and there is no mention of extra for any paint on the R. The RT mentions DUAL COLOUR and METTALIC as extra cost option, nothing about cost for any other paint so they come as standard in base colours.

More scaremongering rubbish.

I've just looked at the R & RT pricing (PDF) and there is no mention of extra for any paint on the R. The RT mentions DUAL COLOUR and METTALIC as extra cost option, nothing about cost for any other paint so they come as standard in base colours.

So what "base" colours does the RT come in then :p

This must be a strategy for dealers to be able to say they'll give you a discount on the extra for the metallic paint. D'oh!

From the BMW Motorrad UK site
More design. More impressions.
A supreme touring bike with a persuasive design: the use of transparent materials conveys lightness and agility. The R 1200 RT is available in the new elegant paint finishes Quartz blue metallic, Ebony metallic and Callisto grey metallic matt.

As you can see there are no other colours available other than metallic so right away you have to pay £125 to get it painted!

But it must be included in the base machine already ? or how do you buy a stock bike with no options ?

The quality of BMW's copy writers appears to have matched the slide in quality of their bikes. "Duel colour paintwork".

Only colours listed in the RT brochure are metallics and as said above metallic paint is extra. Maybe a solid colour is available as a special order.

Sorry Guys but having just priced up a new RT1200 this is correct. Cheapest paint option is £125, change introduced for 2015 and I think it is disgusting, there should be a no cost basic paint option but there isn't on the RT1200. Not all models affected by this change, no idea why they hit the RT1200 with this, the KT1600 is no charge.

Sam

What are you all going on about?
If it's £125 for paint, then why not just accept it and pay it! You could however 'as a matter of principle' refuse to buy another new RT ever again...Like it or not £125 for paint will not stop anyone buying a new RT...And if it does, then they weren't serious about buying one!

Back
Top Bottom