Pricing of new RT's ?

Cortina

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I had a brief conversation with our local dealer today (Don't panic , but it's not going to happen !!)

If I understood him correctly , paint (yes , PAINT !) now has to be added to the base price of a new bike

Either x pounds for a plain colour , or y pounds for a fancy one (read blue) .... there no "free" choices

Is this correct ? ... when did this start ? (Is it just a naughty way of bumping the price up ??)

Let's hope they don't charge for improper apostrophe use :augie

There should be a standard colour, included in the price. Then, if you want metallic, it's extra, the same as on most cars.

When I ordered my blue GSA, there wasn't a charge for non standard paint, but when the bike arrived, BMW had decided to charge for the matte colours.:blast I managed to get the dealer to lose the cost, and although I was annoyed at first, they've been charging extra for non standard paint on most cars for years, so it was only a matter of time before that moved over to the bikes.

There should be a standard colour, included in the price. Then, if you want metallic, it's extra, the same as on most cars.

When I ordered my blue GSA, there wasn't a charge for non standard paint, but when the bike arrived, BMW had decided to charge for the matte colours.:blast I managed to get the dealer to lose the cost, and although I was annoyed at first, they've been charging extra for non standard paint on most cars for years, so it was only a matter of time before that moved over to the bikes.

That's my point - there appears to be no standard colours available (included in a base price) !!

That's my point - there appears to be no standard colours available (included in a base price) !!

That's a bit daft. Actually, that's very daft. What are BMW doing?

The new RS only comes in 2 colours guess what,they are both a cost option!!

I'm fairly sure that this is illegal, if it's an accurate description of what they're doing - you're not allowed to quote prices in advertising that exclude non-optional extras. However, if they're just pricing a "naked" bike and then charging different amounts for different finishes, that's fine. The problem comes when they start to advertise "prices from £x" and it's not possible to buy a bike for £x.

I'm fairly sure that this is illegal, if it's an accurate description of what they're doing - you're not allowed to quote prices in advertising that exclude non-optional extras. However, if they're just pricing a "naked" bike and then charging different amounts for different finishes, that's fine. The problem comes when they start to advertise "prices from £x" and it's not possible to buy a bike for £x.

That's what I was thinking

I had a brief conversation with our local dealer today (Don't panic , but it's not going to happen !!)

If I understood him correctly , paint (yes , PAINT !) now has to be added to the base price of a new bike

Either x pounds for a plain colour , or y pounds for a fancy one (read blue) .... there no "free" choices

Is this correct ? ... when did this start ? (Is it just a naughty way of bumping the price up ??)

I'll take one in Primer please and paint it myself if that's what BM' are up to!

Why shouldn't BMW charge extra for paint ?. At the moment they are able to empty the bank accounts of many people for ESSENTIAL things, like a thing for changing gear quicker and a thing to hold the bike on a hill !. My 2012 RT hasn't got a hill hold thing or a gear changing quicker thingy, and i never, ever need them. I am happy to say i can ride using my own hands and feet.
BMW are milking feckless fools for all they've got as they are having a great time at the moment selling all sorts of expensive extras, many of which are not needed. Whilst idiots will pay for it, BMW will supply it. AT GREAT COST.

Why shouldn't BMW charge extra for paint ?. At the moment they are able to empty the bank accounts of many people for ESSENTIAL things, like a thing for changing gear quicker and a thing to hold the bike on a hill !. My 2012 RT hasn't got a hill hold thing or a gear changing quicker thingy, and i never, ever need them. I am happy to say i can ride using my own hands and feet.
BMW are milking feckless fools for all they've got as they are having a great time at the moment selling all sorts of expensive extras, many of which are not needed. Whilst idiots will pay for it, BMW will supply it. AT GREAT COST.

So anyone who makes decisions different to your own is a feckless fool and an idiot :comfort

I bought a BMW car 14 years ago, any gearbox option, including manual, was extra on top of the quoted base price.

So anyone who makes decisions different to your own is a feckless fool and an idiot :comfort

Ok, maybe a bit strong. The point i was making is, BMW know they turf out just about anything at the moment and there will be a queue of fans who have to have the latest gizmo at any price regardless of if it is any good

Back
Top Bottom