Why is Basecamp such an utter pile of shite ???

I'd wager that if Garmin made a straightforward "Basecamp lite" option to install that could plan simple routes and upload to GPS with minimum fuss, we'd all be a lot happier than the awkward over complicated software currently on offer.

Yep .... I reckon most folk want something reasonably simple with not too many bells and whistles. My Tom Tom app on my i-phone, computes quicker than my Nuvi thing (which has its interface littered with every feckin supermarket and restaurant in the street ... :blast). I just want a simple programme that lets me plot my own route, place my waypoints and then send it to device without any agro .. :thumb2

OK, I tried it and am very impressed with the speed, simplicity and search capability of Motogoloco. It is of course Google Maps based, with terrain and even street view. Easy to operate and easy to share with non Garmin (Tomtom) fellows. Very very good if you want simpliciy, I must agree and for that reason it may be want the majority want. However shaping points(non alerting waypoints) are important for me , rather than a route cluttered with announcements and AFAIK, Basecamp is still the king for this. In fact, because I know how to use Basecamp (after much practice), I'm not persuaded to go simple.:D
Shaping points:
Wapping/Bumpkin
See post no. 66

Just use Co pilot on an iPhone! Just drag the route to go to where you want to go, takes 3 mins over a cup of coffee at the beginning of the day and as the maps are held in the phone, no European data charges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just use Co pilot on an iPhone! Just drag the route to go to where you want to go, takes 3 mins over a cup of coffee at the beginning of the day and as the maps are held in the phone, no European data charges.
If you have to use a phone, then this a good system... BUT, Mapsource does exactly the same, plus, you don't need an internet connection, and of course you can create multiple routes, and store them on your device.

Another thumbs up for Motogoloco.:thumby::clap

I've been helping Arsey of this parish with the planning and been using the website. Works brilliantly... Also very easy to export to KML for a quick look at in Google Earth Pro (Free as of this week instead of $400/year if you're interested...) which I used extensively for checking the route around the west coast of southern Ireland last year. Great for a fly through with terrain enabled to see exactly where you're going to end up.

Not to say it can't do with a bit of tweaking here and there but an excellent start and incredibly usable.

If you have to use a phone, then this a good system... BUT, Mapsource does exactly the same, plus, you don't need an internet connection, and of course you can create multiple routes, and store them on your device.

That's exactly what CO pilot does, maps are held on the phone so no internet needed, you can save as many routes as your phone memory can hold, so no need for computer, nor need for expensive £500 sat nav. I have now used co pilot for about 4 years on various trips, did 6000 miles last year through Eastern Europe, worked very well apart from lack of detailed mapping in Albania. Phone provides music and camera as well. Worth trying before going down the dedicated sat nav route.

I'd wager that if Garmin made a straightforward "Basecamp lite" option to install that could plan simple routes and upload to GPS with minimum fuss, we'd all be a lot happier than the awkward over complicated software currently on offer.

but basecamp is pretty simple to plan a route and i can upload to my 660 as soon as i can finish fiddling about getting that stupid door thing off the back. bluetooth would be nice.

it's the "search" function that really lets basecamp down.

if i want really really simple i use the tom tom app on my phone, as mentioned by giles earlier. in fact it was his recommendation & demo that made me buy it . garmin could learn a lot from the user interface there, and they could take note of the the vastly more powerful processing power as well. shame it can't store routes though.

Trouble with the phone is you are totally stuffed if you lose/break it.

Another thumbs up for Motogoloco.:thumby::clap

Not to say it can't do with a bit of tweaking here and there but an excellent start and incredibly usable.

Hey fella - would love to get any thoughts on tweaks or improvements we could make. A lot of the features that're included in the current version of MotoGoLoco Maps came directly from feedback via forums, this one included.

As per my reply on another similar thread - we're here and happy to help if anyone needs a punt or a steer with anything.
Cheers

-JM

Just keep up the good work chap, I can't really find fault with it at all and it's my default route planning software now. I love the ability to be able to share routes with other guys going on the trip regardless of wether it's TomTom or Garmin hardware.

Hi JM. I just emailed your support email address with my ideas for collaborative route editing...

Interested to know what you think.

I've copied the email below to see what you guys think.

Hi there.

I saw your response on the GS Forum so thought a direct email may be easier…

Your Motogoloco website has come on leaps and bounds. We are currently using it to plan a 7 day tour from the UK down to Monaco and back and finding it much easier to use than the likes of Basecamp etc. We really like the KML export option as I’ve been putting the mountain sections into Google Earth Pro and checking them out with the 3D terrain switched on...

As for tweaks and improvements:

Most of the features I would like to see are based around collaborative route planning and this is something which I don’t think ANY of the other planning software offers.

I would start by allowing the user to define a group and add users to it. Within the group you could then create trips, and within each individual trip allow days to be generated. You could also break it down into individual routes within each day, ie. Before lunch and after lunch. Define the trip with a start date and end date, or if they’re not sure of dates, just the number of days required.

You would have to have a group leader defined within the group who has defacto editing rights on routes, but could also tick a permissions page to grant editing rights to others within the group.

On the collaborative front, say my mate sends me a Day 3 route for our forthcoming trip through by email. I log into the group page (Allow uploading of photo backgrounds and some personalisation maybe to make it more personal?), and I look at the route that Martin has sent through. He has already granted me editing privileges. In the same way that Google maps directions displays different routes as shown below, allow me to change Martins route which would display as below without changing the “Master route”. He then has the choice of either allowing the changes, editing or rejecting. If you could include the mileage and timing as shown below as well that would be even better.

In this way I can suggest route changes without mucking up all his work initially. Allowing group logins to a master route repository saves him having to send me route links by email, and then negates the faff of copying the route into my editing window before I can do anything with it.

I just think it would be a neater way of doing it, as well as being a feature I don’t think any other route planner on the market currently offers. It would certainly fit in with the way we as a group plan our trips, so I’m sure we’re not the only ones to do collaborative route planning!

I’ll have a think about other tweaks and email you again if that would be okay?

Best regards

James Shepard

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-02-17 at 17.48.17[Feb17].jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-02-17 at 17.48.17[Feb17].jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 111

Back
Top Bottom