Klim or New Street guard 4

+ 1 for the SG4, the fit was much better for me than the Klim especially the trousers, I'm not tosser sized yet and find that the BMW clothing fits me perfectly. I do have a Klim gortex top from ABW which I use for off roading that is good though.

The Klim fit wasn't a real issue, I'm not a full tosser size yet either, just a mr average and I'd already decided last year that I would have a Badlands for this season, It was only when I took my topbox for a re-key to the dealer last week that my partner decided to kill time by trying on some of the BMW clothing :blast

The sales guy gave her a SG4 in a ladies cut that looked really good on her, unlike the Klim's box cut which is a blokes jacket, Klim don't do a ladies fit in a Badlands, so my partner suggested that matching outfits might look good if we are spending over a couple of grand on gear and to be fair she's got a point

I hadn't considered anything BMW until that point, but I ended up trying on an SG4 and was impressed, it is a pretty clever suit with some good features like the street smart unzippable inner jacket that can be worn in the boozer, saves packing a jacket, and the thin goretex membrane hood that can be pulled up from out of the collar and worn under the helmet in heavy rain to stop water running down your neck. Big vents too and braces on the pants. So hence my original question Klim vs GS4.

I'm still gonna try a Badlands before I finalise my decision, the Badlands has certainly got the street cred and great reviews on this string, a response much appreciated guys.

My traverse is this bonded gortex set up, and the rain just doesn't get a chance to absorb into the jacket at all. It beads off as soon as it gets wet. I'm guessing the Bm kit absorbs more water into the outer material...

The construction of Goretex and similar breathable fabrics is based on a breathable water repellent membrane usually bonded to an outer fabric (eg. Cordura) ... the outer fabric is also treated with a flourocarbon coating causing water to bead and run off the surface, often enabling the membrane to work better. The visual differences you see in the beading of the water are down to the amount and effectiveness of the flourocarbon coating, not the ability of the membrane layer to function as a breathable/waterproof garment ... it doesn't directly mean one garment will be more waterproof than another, ultimately that is down to the membrane layer.

Also the flourocarbon coating "washes" off over time and needs re-applying, hence the Goretex reproofing services that are available, or home-treat the garment with a product from the likes of Grangers or Nikwax.

Just as a comment on the sizing with the Badlands Pro jacket. I'm 6'3" and when I bought mine I weighed over 18 stone. What was more crucial for me than fit around the stomach was arm length. The XL was just right, the XXL was OK too but much too roomy elsewhere. The L was a good fit on the waist but short in the arm. I think much American gear is made a bit more generously than the European counterparts. I went for the XL in the end. Now I'm 3 stone lighter, there is a bit more excess around the belly area so it does bunch up a bit sat on the bike but its liveable with and doesn't affect performance. What helps here is the in-built kidney belt on the Badlands as that tightens the whole jacket up and in the winter when I have the heated liner, it helps heat transfer too.

Back
Top Bottom