UK Based Super Tenere Flash / Custom ECU Mapping

Rasher

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Chris at CJS Racing can now offer some very affordable Flash options for the Super Tenere (2010 - 2013)

Currently the going rate is £350 - £450 for most vendors and involves sending your ECU off somewhere and when it comes back the restrictions will be gone. All of these vendors also recommend that you still need a power commander to fully optimise the fuelling for your bike.

Or...

Option One - Flash Only:- £199 (Plus postage, or drop off / pickup ECU)

* Remove restrictions in both modes
* Turn off the O2 sensors and improve fuelling in the closed loop area
* Spark map mods and removal of the massive advance in the neutral map

The bike will also feel smoother and lose the off-idle stumble some people whinge about.

Note: from chris:-

People who do the clutch jumper mod are in danger of engine damage with 50 degrees of advance at 100 percent throttle

He also fixes up this map, but with the flash de-restricting the bike I cannot see any point in jumping the clutch switch anymore.

For a full custom setup it will be £425, this gets you all of the above plus:

* A day on the dyno having both cylinders individually set up for fuel and spark.

This will give a much better running bike as no two bikes are the same, as far as I am aware nobody else offers this with a flash, or adjusts the cylinders individually.

It also means the bike can be perfectly setup for any other mods including different air filter and exhausts.

Contact details etc can be found on their website:

http://www.cjsracing.co.uk/

Or signup for an Super Tenere day, details here:

http://www.adventurebikers.net/forum/index.php?topic=1330.0

Hi there, been swithering about getting a flash for a while, though not sure about it all.

Excuse my ignorance, but why is there such a big price difference between one kind and the other ?

Excuse my ignorance, but why is there such a big price difference between one kind and the other ?

One involved plugging some connectors to the ECU and sending a file from a computer to it - probably under 30 minutes work. This will remove the low down restrictions and maybe do some other things, various flash companies make all sorts of claims, but in reality the restrictions will be gone and some other changes may or may not be made.

Some massively ramp up the throttle response it T-Mode, which is what ECU Unleashed do, so it also feels as if you have a load more grunt, in reality (IMO) it makes the throttle a bit jerky low down and when you do open it right up you realise the second half of the throttle makes virtually no difference.

The CJS Flash sorts out the restrictions as they all do, but also improves the closed loop area, as far as I know no other flash does this, I will find out when I have mine done how much difference this makes as CJS will be replacing my ECU-U Flash. They do not do any "tricks" such as making throttle maps aggressive to give a warped impression - but they can do anything you want, so if you wanted your throttle to be far more or far less aggressive it can be done - CJS are aiming for a linear throttle response.

You can also have a different rev limit, alter which mode the bike starts in and stuff like that, on fast bikes they can remove speed limiters as well.

The second option is CJS put your bike on the dyno and check the fuelling / ignition and then spend a day fine tuning the bike.

As no two engines are ever identical the fuel maps are always a generic setup, often a bit rich as you need to set them for the engine that needs a lot of fuel as if a bike runs weak it blows up, if it is a shade rich it just uses more fuel and produces less power, so generally a custom map will pick up more power and decrease fuel consumption.

CJS also do each cylinder individually, few tuning centres do this, typically they throw an O2 sensor down the end can and the reading they pickup is an average across all cylinders, so one could be rich and the other weak but the sensor shows it is good, CJS will map each cylinder which ensures maximum power and a smoother running engine.

As I mentioned they can also sort out the mega weak closed loop area (used to get bikes through emissions tests) which is typically up to 50% throttle and 50% revs, so part throttle running should be a lot better than stock. Without altering the closed loop area the Flash is unable to improve a lot of the typical riding conditions with regard to fuelling.

With the custom setup they can also get the bike perfected with other modifications such as different exhausts and air filters. So far every other flash provider I have spoken to has insisted to get a full system fuelling properly you need to add a power commander and O2 optimiser kits, so if you pay for a flash + power commander + O2 optimisers + Setup (or autotune kit) you are going to be well past £1,000

When you consider it is a days work for a skilled tuner with a £100k of equipment being required then the more expensive option looks good value, and the results should be better than if you spent over £1,000 on flash and power commander.

Probably the less stock the bike, the more sense the second option makes, but anyone who has had any bike setup on a dyno will tell you it does make a noticeable difference.

Right, I put my money where my mouth is, ditched my £350 ECU-U Flash and had it overwritten by CJS Racing earlier today.

Need some time to put together a full review after I have done some more miles, but I can confirm it pissed all over the ECU-U generic flash and sorted the low down fuelling that nobody else seems able to fix with a flash :D

The graphs only tell half the story, but here they are:

Apparently the ECU- U Fuelling was not too bad, with the exception of the area where the bike surges with the Arrows....

...which is now 100% fixed, I can cruise at 2,000rpm in 2nd / 3rd without any surging, in fact it will drop right down to 1500rpm in third and runs smoothly and pulls away evenly - absolutely brilliant, I could even drop below 2k in top and pull away again (albeit slowly)

Main Points:

* The bike feels smoother and tickover is less lumpy than before.

* The O2 sensors are now lobbed away and I just have the Arrow blanking plates in the sensor holes.

* The Aggressive ECU-U S-Mode has been replaced by a linear throttle (1:1 mapping with full throttle available from 2500 rpm)

* T-Mode has been enhanced quite a bit by running the Stock 6th Geat T-Mode map, this now feels more useable, noticeably softer than the S-Mode I have, but now gives full power in all gears (Standard it only has about 75BHP in 1st - 4th)

The custom setup is well worth it IMO, the difference between the ECU-U Flash and the custom one is quite noticeable, although I expect the CJS "generic flash" is probably better to start with.

Certainly with mods like the Arrows the Custom Flash really makes sense, but Chris did say the two cylinders were noticeably different and with them being separately mapped I probably gained a bit of power and smoothed the engine out. Not forgetting every other flash provider will tell you to add a Power Commander and O2 Optimisation by which time you are already around double the CJS prices before you pay for any setup or dyno time.

Right, I put my money where my mouth is, ditched my £350 ECU-U Flash and had it overwritten by CJS Racing earlier today.

Need some time to put together a full review after I have done some more miles, but I can confirm it pissed all over the ECU-U generic flash and sorted the low down fuelling that nobody else seems able to fix with a flash :D

The graphs only tell half the story, but here they are:

Apparently the ECU- U Fuelling was not too bad, with the exception of the area where the bike surges with the Arrows....

...which is now 100% fixed, I can cruise at 2,000rpm in 2nd / 3rd without any surging, in fact it will drop right down to 1500rpm in third and runs smoothly and pulls away evenly - absolutely brilliant, I could even drop below 2k in top and pull away again (albeit slowly)

Main Points:

* The bike feels smoother and tickover is less lumpy than before.

* The O2 sensors are now lobbed away and I just have the Arrow blanking plates in the sensor holes.

* The Aggressive ECU-U S-Mode has been replaced by a linear throttle (1:1 mapping with full throttle available from 2500 rpm)

* T-Mode has been enhanced quite a bit by running the Stock 6th Geat T-Mode map, this now feels more useable, noticeably softer than the S-Mode I have, but now gives full power in all gears (Standard it only has about 75BHP in 1st - 4th)

The custom setup is well worth it IMO, the difference between the ECU-U Flash and the custom one is quite noticeable, although I expect the CJS "generic flash" is probably better to start with.

Certainly with mods like the Arrows the Custom Flash really makes sense, but Chris did say the two cylinders were noticeably different and with them being separately mapped I probably gained a bit of power and smoothed the engine out. Not forgetting every other flash provider will tell you to add a Power Commander and O2 Optimisation by which time you are already around double the CJS prices before you pay for any setup or dyno time.
Nice interim report. I look forward to some mpg comparisons etc once you have done some miles.

I am still pleased with the ECUnleashed flash but as I have decided to keep my bike long term I am tempted to have a look at CJS.

Matt

reading between the lines some say the 2014 model doesn't need or benefit from re flash, is this true, if so why?

reading between the lines some say the 2014 model doesn't need or benefit from re flash, is this true, if so why?

It will benefit considerably, but I do not think it is "essential" like it was to lose the restrictions on earlier bikes, and I doubt a "generic" flash would help a great deal as there is no "easy target" to make some gains like there was with removing the restriction on early bikes.

Although the 2014 is not restricted in the lower gears, like any bike made after 2006 will be severely limited by the Euro-3 emissions, to get through these bikes fuelling cannot be anywhere near optimal, and twins are harder to get through these rules than fours - and therefore tend to gain a lot from a good remap.

Look at the savings in emissions below and think how much harder it is to get an engine to perform properly whilst reducing emissions by 95%:

http://www.acem.eu/index.php/policy-access/environment/emission-reduction-process

Do not forget the gains shown on my bike above were comparing an unrestricted bike with an ECU-U Flash "designed" for the Arrow Headers, this was already better setup than a stock bike - and the custom map still added another 10BHP.

If you ditch the Headers for something like Arrows bigger BHP gains can be found, but even on an otherwise stock bike a good remap will work wonders with how the bike feels, especially on part throttle where the EU regs really bugger things up, up top a few BHP should be gained along with smoother running / less vibes and probably slightly better mpg.

One involved plugging some connectors to the ECU and sending a file from a computer to it - probably under 30 minutes work. This will remove the low down restrictions and maybe do some other things, various flash companies make all sorts of claims, but in reality the restrictions will be gone and some other changes may or may not be made.

Some massively ramp up the throttle response it T-Mode, which is what ECU Unleashed do, so it also feels as if you have a load more grunt, in reality (IMO) it makes the throttle a bit jerky low down and when you do open it right up you realise the second half of the throttle makes virtually no difference.

The CJS Flash sorts out the restrictions as they all do, but also improves the closed loop area, as far as I know no other flash does this, I will find out when I have mine done how much difference this makes as CJS will be replacing my ECU-U Flash. They do not do any "tricks" such as making throttle maps aggressive to give a warped impression - but they can do anything you want, so if you wanted your throttle to be far more or far less aggressive it can be done - CJS are aiming for a linear throttle response.

You can also have a different rev limit, alter which mode the bike starts in and stuff like that, on fast bikes they can remove speed limiters as well.

The second option is CJS put your bike on the dyno and check the fuelling / ignition and then spend a day fine tuning the bike.

As no two engines are ever identical the fuel maps are always a generic setup, often a bit rich as you need to set them for the engine that needs a lot of fuel as if a bike runs weak it blows up, if it is a shade rich it just uses more fuel and produces less power, so generally a custom map will pick up more power and decrease fuel consumption.

CJS also do each cylinder individually, few tuning centres do this, typically they throw an O2 sensor down the end can and the reading they pickup is an average across all cylinders, so one could be rich and the other weak but the sensor shows it is good, CJS will map each cylinder which ensures maximum power and a smoother running engine.

As I mentioned they can also sort out the mega weak closed loop area (used to get bikes through emissions tests) which is typically up to 50% throttle and 50% revs, so part throttle running should be a lot better than stock. Without altering the closed loop area the Flash is unable to improve a lot of the typical riding conditions with regard to fuelling.

With the custom setup they can also get the bike perfected with other modifications such as different exhausts and air filters. So far every other flash provider I have spoken to has insisted to get a full system fuelling properly you need to add a power commander and O2 optimiser kits, so if you pay for a flash + power commander + O2 optimisers + Setup (or autotune kit) you are going to be well past £1,000

When you consider it is a days work for a skilled tuner with a £100k of equipment being required then the more expensive option looks good value, and the results should be better than if you spent over £1,000 on flash and power commander.

Probably the less stock the bike, the more sense the second option makes, but anyone who has had any bike setup on a dyno will tell you it does make a noticeable difference.

Just got my ZE flashed by CJS Racing thanks to the info Rasher posted here. Very pleased with the results. Smooth, linear response, off-idle stumble gone.

Back
Top Bottom