When is a service not a servcice from a so called motorbike shop

yeah righhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhht.............................................. jemspeedshop ring any bells

Righto, moving it over now ..... as I said:

Harpenden, would you like me to move your thread over to either the B&B where this conversation/debate can continue in all its glory or would you prefer me to move it to the bike section (please provide me the make and model of your GS)

Duchess,

I do not want to upset anybody here but if someone thinks they can take the mick and not get a response then they are sadly mistaken.

The whole point of my post was not blarting about the cost of the machine or the repairs that will be needed, but the down right dishonesty of the Dealer.

How can a business thrive when they give such shoddy service.....that's all.

Anyway you can post the whole debate elsewhere, where ever you think is best. On that note I will post up the whole service todate including the BMW plug and play laptop jobby which checked all the electrics and throttle sensors. The latest theory is a fuel problem which I have been advised to add fuel additives and take it for a 300mile round trip. With thanks

Huge learning curve here for you, quite an expensive way to learn reading from your posts here. I'm not sure as I know of many folk here who would buy a 2nd hand bike without seeing or testing riding it first but I sincerely hope it works out ok for you.

Tracked down the last two owners which is no mean real feat considering one lives in spain !!

No probs what so ever the last owner flogged it to " we buy any bike.com " who then moved it on to Jemspeedshop who then moved it on to yours truly !!

Is it yellow, it was for sale at the other dealers for about £500 less for 24 hours, the one in wibsey.. Webuybikes. With such a low mileage i guess you had to move fast. Batley , Bradford road , is a bit of a pikey road so i could have warned you to tread carefully.

Sounds like youve got steptoe on your doorstep is it not worth getting a diagnosis then phoning the place in batley and politely but assertively asking them to give you the cash to fix.

Yeah that's why I did act fast lol.

I did speak to the mechanic and he did sound 200 % genuine even after I was effing and jeffing !

14k is ultra ultra low and it does have bmw service record. The last two owners are decent lads who are family members brother and brother in law !!

And yes it is yellow, I shall put up a photo when I work out how todo it. Thanks for all your comments and I mean all your comments good and bad

harpenden

Might be a little late now.... but you need to take the bike to Steptoe's (GSShop.biz)
he is in Putney, and a wealth of knowledge on ALL things GS. (and BMW in general)

He has already given you a couple of bits of advice, free, as he does to all us inmates.

Top bloke IMHO.

Buying any bike is always a bit of a leap of faith, even new ones! Don't beat yourself up over it, that's out job! I'm fairly new here, some very knowledgeable people on this form to help you out. Get it sorted out and enjoy the bike.

Woh get down of your high horse. You didn't post asking for advice you posted whinging about a dealer not telling you the truth.
So expect a bit of ribbing.

If you had posted just stating your problems with the bike and asking advice then you may have got a different response, if you had posted saying I seem to have bought a "lemon" and tried this, that and the other to get the problem sorted or my money back any advice? Then you would probably have got more but different advice.

You asked how a dealer can not tell you everything, fact is that some dealers are like that, there are some great ones out there and there are some shite ones, you are never going to find out on the phone, he don't know you from Adam and you don't know them, in addition he is trying to offload a bike, in a situation like that its always safe to assume that your not going to get all of the information, especially if its detrimental to the possibility of the sale, "caveat emptor". So its a bit of a learning experience, personally I have never bought a bike sight unseen, I wouldn't hand over cash until I had seen it, but that's me. If the dealer then turns out to be completely honest and you have been overly cautious then say sorry to him later but at least your not out of pocket.
Despite that if you feel you have been had over then do something about it, as a distance sale you have right to return item withing 14 days for ANY reason, if not as described your covered by consumer regs, speak to the dealer and see if they will sort the problem. If you have been deliberately lied to to entice you to buy something it may be a criminal offence by the dealer - IF and it is an IF he has stated he has done a service and stamped the book to say so and NOT done one then its probably Fraud there are a whole raft of possible offences but all covered by the Fraud act re false statements and paperwork; now you may not be able to get the old bill interested but if the dealer is being an arse there is no harm in trying to persuade him by threatening to take it to the police. If you have paid on Paypal try claiming back as not as described. If with a credit card over the phone speak to the credit card company. Get somebody else to fix it if the dealer wont and send them the bill, failing that there is trading standards and eventually a small claim it only costs £80 and you get your money back when you win which you probably will if the vehicle is not as described and fit for purpose. I don't know all of the circumstances, some of the info may be appropriate some not, but you asked how dealers get away with it, because not enough people are actually bothered to do anything about it when they have been "ripped" off is the answer.

Just remember even the best dealers can make a mistake, its how they deal with the mistake and how and if they put it right etc that makes the difference between a good one and a bad one. Then just a case of you taking the appropriate action. So I reiterate, "dim enough to put up with it"

I will give an example:-
A female friend bought a bike from a small non-specific dealers in London, it came with a service and an MOT done that morning, she paid cash and picked bike up. On riding home it didn't feel right, brought it round to me as I was not working that day and we had a look, off the top of my head:- hole in the exhaust by the header, no bolt in the brake arm just held in by friction, indicator bulb blown, front brake light switch didn't work, rear tyre below legal limit and a few minor niggles. Also found later that plug was rusted and chemical metaled into the plug hole and the oil filter so old and clogged that no service done. What did we do?
1. Took it to a mate who did a "proper" Mot test - it failed
2. Had another mate come round and give it a road side vehicle examination, and list possible vehicle and rider offecnes
3. Spoke to the dealer who refused to fix anything saying it was fine when it left his shop an hour previous!!
4. Took it to trading standards (ok I worked near to and with them on occasion and had an "in") and got them involved
5. Contacted Dot re the MOT test and provided them with details
6. Fixed the faults, and took the bill to the dealer along with the a letter detailing action taken and the proposed legal action to follow civil and criminal, and in that case he paid, to make us go away I think

I don't say it will work for you, we and our experiences, profession, locale to dealer etc are all different, but that is not a reason not to try something more than a whinge on a web site. If I have made a mistake and you have tried all this and been unsuccessful then I am sorry for not grasping the point correctly. If you haven't then give it a go, and let us know how you get on.

Browser,

I do like your comments "Dim enough to put up with it "

just who do you think you are talking to ??

I knew I would get negative comments and congratulations I award you the gold star for stating the bleeding obvious.

Well Sherlock if had your specsavers glasses on you would have noticed in the paragraph "How can a Motorbike shop tell so many lies suggest to me its a DEALER.

I brought this bike knowing the full consequences, built up a rapport with the mechanic and believed the lies he told me. I checked al lthe MOT's the mileages, credit check, tax and history. When I received the bike I was straight away on the phone. He had not mentioned the ripped seat and retorted in no-way does this affect the fit for purpose of the machine. The full service he did was all bollox and he even put a stamp in the maintenance book !

I had a budget for the bike which included a full service at my local motorbike shop, this would iron out any niggling worries. Its still ongoing but its getting there.

With your nose for detail you have probably sussed out I had the bike delivered from the dealer in Yorkshire to my home address here in Hertfordshire............... I bet you did not.

On that note it as dented my faith in dealers but as not turned me into a old cynical knarled bitter C U Next Tuesday sort of bloke. Best I jump on my R80 to chill out

Yep a few interesting comments.

Like I have said I take full responsibility for all the actions I have taken, you make a deal you take a risk.

A proper decent service will iron out the minor details which I have a budget for.

Moaning on a forum solves nothing. I find it annoying a so called dealer can just bullshit you, and get away with it.

He did not change the plugs or replace the filter, its only because I took it elsewhere that I found this out.

Lies lies and more lies.....................................

Yep a few interesting comments.

Like I have said I take full responsibility for all the actions I have taken, you make a deal you take a risk.

A proper decent service will iron out the minor details which I have a budget for.

Moaning on a forum solves nothing. I find it annoying a so called dealer can just bullshit you, and get away with it.

He did not change the plugs or replace the filter, its only because I took it elsewhere that I found this out.

Lies lies and more lies.....................................

Mate im not sure he is a dealer, backstreeet trader would be a better description. Hope you get it sorted youve got the basis of a great bike there.

Hooray problem sorted to sluggish pulling 3rd 4th gears.

Coils are knackered, strange when it was getting a decent spark but when put under some serious load would play up.

New coils on order should pick up at the end of the week, FANK FOOK FOR THAT

Back
Top Bottom