Need to rubber & not Metzler Tourance Next

Banzai600

Reaction score
Right, ive p!ssed through a set of Metz Next. The front is gone and back still has some rubber left. Go figure that one. Only got few thousand kms, I usually get more. And considering its been v wet, dry wear is not a factor here. All the rumours re Metz inconsistent wear seem to be true ?

So im thinking about new rubber.

Being told to get new Michelin Pilot Road 4 Trail. Im swinging towards Annakee 3.

Opinions please.......

By the way, Bridgestone have a new trail tyre. Not releasing for a while yet. Had in my hand yesterday, dealer wouldn't tell me name but looks like a more meaty old skool tourance.

got annekee 3 on my gs they are ok but seem to square off very quick, cant you still get tourance in ireland still the best tyre, annakee are not cheap

i'm also finding something unusual with the next on my gsa, the back's squared off (about 6k miles, fair enough) but when i looked closely at the front i noticed plenty of tread but very uneven wear, tyre looks flattened in spots, great grip on these tyres though,

i don't want to go with fully road based ones so i'll have to decide what to try now.

I'm not a fan of Tourance, and favour Heidenau K60 Scouts.

Listen to what you are told about the PR4 - I'm very happy to pay the premium price for the PR4 for my Super Tenere.

After using Conti Road Attacks on my previous bike, a R1150GS, I wouldn't consider anything but sport touring tyres like the PR4 or CRA on my bike as I never ride on anything but sealed roads, except maybe for the odd gravel drive or forestry track.

Listen to what you are told about the PR4 - I'm very happy to pay the premium price for the PR4 for my Super Tenere.

After using Conti Road Attacks on my previous bike, a R1150GS, I wouldn't consider anything but sport touring tyres like the PR4 or CRA on my bike as I never ride on anything but sealed roads, except maybe for the odd gravel drive or forestry track.

Ditto, personally really found the Roadsmarts to be brilliant, due to a f*** up by my tyre supplier I ended up with a V1 front and V2 rear as they got the wrong ones delivered, I only noticed after they fitted them and as I was about to set off to the Alps did not have time to sort out - I was actually still blown away by how good the V1 front felt - and the original Roadsmarts are a lot cheaper than the Roadsmart 2's so probably the best value for money tyres out there.

Hard to say if there rally is much difference in grip or wear between the 1's and the 2's, although Dunlop claim the 2's grip better wet and dry as well as last longer - either way IMO you cannot go wrong with either set.

With the condition of the roads off the main drag down south the Heidenau K60 is a good bet I have 3 friends using them and grip and mileage have been good in most conditions

Tks all

Re the K60's, ive looked into them. I do want to buy them, however, a couple of mates said they wouldnt suit my riding style. In this i mean, I wouldnt be afraid of leannig the bike over in the wet / dry and the K60 wouldnt really be up to this ? Also heard they can be noisy / vibey ?

The Tourance originals are still available here in IE, albeit a little hard to get. Im just a little weary of Metz. The Tourance that came with the bike were brilliant, but the rear squared off.First set of Tourance Next were better than original Tourance, thats why i bought a second set, which are sh!t. They are not as grippy in the damp and as I said, the front is shagged already with loads of meet on the rear, i dont get it.

Re the pilot Road 4 trails, these are more a road tyre which is fine. They have a more rounded profile which would probably suit me more. But Im unsure of these & like the look of the Annakee 3 ?

I heard Continental and Bridgestone have new traillie rubber out soon, but cant wait much long, front is slipping a fair bit now in the damp on corners.

Annakee 3. will suit you a good all-round Tyre. About 5 to 6 thousand km for the rear and 10,000 km + for the front.

Tks all

Re the K60's, ive looked into them. I do want to buy them, however, a couple of mates said they wouldnt suit my riding style. In this i mean, I wouldnt be afraid of leannig the bike over in the wet / dry and the K60 wouldnt really be up to this ? Also heard they can be noisy / vibey ?

The Tourance originals are still available here in IE, albeit a little hard to get. Im just a little weary of Metz. The Tourance that came with the bike were brilliant, but the rear squared off.First set of Tourance Next were better than original Tourance, thats why i bought a second set, which are sh!t. They are not as grippy in the damp and as I said, the front is shagged already with loads of meet on the rear, i dont get it.

Re the pilot Road 4 trails, these are more a road tyre which is fine. They have a more rounded profile which would probably suit me more. But Im unsure of these & like the look of the Annakee 3 ?

I heard Continental and Bridgestone have new traillie rubber out soon, but cant wait much long, front is slipping a fair bit now in the damp on corners.

I just want to mention the tyres I have now, the Tourance Next - made in Germany ( in v v small print on tyre )

Annakee 3. will suit you a good all-round Tyre. About 5 to 6 thousand km for the rear and 10,000 km + for the front.

Tks.

You on them Pat ? How they behave and wear, good outside grip when leaned over ?

I've had good results with Dunlop TR91 Trailmax on my Guzzi Stelvio. Great grip wet and dry tarmac roads, they seem to be pretty good on hard packed/gravel trails, rear is worn out by 6000mls. My rear is usually squared off by 5k so replaced then. I will probably refit them to my S10 when the original Bridgestones wear out. If you are riding just tarmac then I would use a 100% road tyre like a Dunlop Roadsmart or Michelin PR4.

Anyone tried

the Continental Conti TKC70s they look good.

Attachments

• GetImage.jpg
    GetImage.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 1,405
Yes im on the Annakees, standard fitment on my 14 GSA 1200.
8500km on my second rear front is still good.
General knocking about and some spirited riding. More than you would get up to in Ireland.
(in Spain since before xmas).
I didn't like them at Mondello but otherwise OK.
My favorite tyre is the Tourance Next I gave them plenty of wellie on Mondello without issue.
I havent got a clue what to fit next.
I will probably stick to adventure type tyres but not sure.
By the way rear brake pads last 4000km I am on my third set.

I've had good results with Dunlop TR91 Trailmax on my Guzzi Stelvio. Great grip wet and dry tarmac roads, they seem to be pretty good on hard packed/gravel trails, rear is worn out by 6000mls. My rear is usually squared off by 5k so replaced then. I will probably refit them to my S10 when the original Bridgestones wear out. If you are riding just tarmac then I would use a 100% road tyre like a Dunlop Roadsmart or Michelin PR4.

I've had the TR91's and found them to be excellent, on PR4's now and love them.

Tks all

Never had those problems with K60's. I find them much better under braking in the wet, more warning before they let go than Tourance - I came off (mostly under braking the front) in the wet (mostly) five times in 2013, all with Tourance - nil times in 2014 with K60's..

But each to their own..

ps I'm now switching to a bike with ABS!:blast

Article in issue of MCN either last week or week before, S10 owner asking for recommendations
auth.aspx

I'm thinking about going for K60 Scouts because down in Devon the back lanes are often single track with gravel (and sometimes grass) down the middle. Also the 150-70-17 has continuous rubber down the middle so should be smooth enough in a straight line.

Now the cons - I do mostly tarmac riding and have minimal squaring off at the back with well worn shoulders (the tyre has narrow chicken strips as well ;) ). Also a visit to friends means (many) miles on motorways. So does the collective think the K60 Scout is going for the wrong option. Then again what about the speed rating? Im not in the habit of going >115 but will a T pass the MOT?

http://www.tyreleader.co.uk/motorbike-tyres/heidenau/k60-scout/150-70-b17-69t-67195

If the K60 isn't ideal has anyone tried the K76 Tourance lookalike?

How about a TKC70 as a half way house, should be better than tourances etc on gravel and dirt, but still give good road performance on tarmac.

My fear with tyres like the Scounts is that they would ruin the bend swinging on the good surfaces I spend 90% of my time on, and on roads with a bit of crap here and there (another 9%) probably not be a lot better than a Roadsmart / Pilot Road, leaving just the 1% of proper gravel and mud I cover where they really win.

I used to run old Tourances for years but have changed to K60s for the last few.

I have just as much confidence in the wet (if not a little more) with the K60s and find them fine for road riding. Best thing is they last - serious milage. The strip down the middle means they never square off so you can ride motorway to the south of spain then do the twisties. Metzler square off really fast, old and next - my wife runs them. I find the handling goes once they square off.

I don't know about other tyres but I like the look of those new continentals and will look out for reviews.
:thumby:
I'm thinking about going for K60 Scouts because down in Devon the back lanes are often single track with gravel (and sometimes grass) down the middle. Also the 150-70-17 has continuous rubber down the middle so should be smooth enough in a straight line.

Now the cons - I do mostly tarmac riding and have minimal squaring off at the back with well worn shoulders (the tyre has narrow chicken strips as well ;) ). Also a visit to friends means (many) miles on motorways. So does the collective think the K60 Scout is going for the wrong option. Then again what about the speed rating? Im not in the habit of going >115 but will a T pass the MOT?

http://www.tyreleader.co.uk/motorbike-tyres/heidenau/k60-scout/150-70-b17-69t-67195

If the K60 isn't ideal has anyone tried the K76 Tourance lookalike?

Back
Top Bottom