Dealers - Twinsparks - Prices

Zwerver

Reaction score
Went for a cup off coffee at my delaer (no not a coffeee shop) saturday afternoon, and saw that the first twinspark had arrived!
Seeing 2 brandnew, 2003 model gs's in his showroom with
single spark, I asked the sales-manager what he wanted to do with the prices of those "old" models...
"I've asked the same question the the importer" he said, "and they told me to sell them for the same price...."

Can imagine unhappy clients then ....

ok then, time for you on the ball UK guys with dealer contacts to try and get the truth out of them.
I've just sold my Harley - I've got the cash burning a very large hole on my pocket and I'm intending to buy an Adventure.
But I'm not going to do that if the twin sparks are out and on their way.

What's the situation?

oh dear, please ignore........
just read the Technical section and have got my update.

Just shows, even us non techie types can learn stuff in the tech bit. Maybe I should read it more often.

That's exactly what I did when I ordered my new bike. The timing was perfect - I heard the official news on the Friday and was at the Dealer to finalise the deal the next day. He was mighty pleased, as you can imagine. The power of the internet, eh?

I envisage an awful lot of stock of single plug-headed bikes in the very near future. The question is, what do you do - take the (hopefully) improved bike at the "normal" price, or take a potential surger at a (hopefully, in the near future) reduced price?

Twin spark

I was told last monday by my local BMW dealer, the price increase for the standard GS and adventure is £300 quid, and i was told it dosen't make any difference what so ever to the bike's performance, it's just BMW's way of obscuring quite a large price increse... so there you have it straight from the horses mouth as they say.

Andy

an expensive way to obscure a price hike?

legger, I'm not disputing what the dealer told you - but it seems a tad daft for BMW to spend the money and time in developing a twin spark just to justify a £300/£500 price hike, when these bikes seem to just sell themselves anyway, at whatever price is asked.

Cannot help thinking its just anotherr load of old bollocks from BMW to get more cash from us and just think next time the plugs need to get changed on the service they will charge you for FOUR not two. I bet they will also just break into another time allocation to charge you a little more labour. If it aint broke why fix it? Are we really this fashion conscious that we desire a bike with four plugs.

Twin sparks

Have any UK guys got a twin spark yet?? I have a GS ordered for mrch so are the chances of getting one ? Also, what are the pros and cons. Ricky

ANDY MELTON said:
Cannot help thinking its just anotherr load of old bollocks from BMW to get more cash from us and just think next time the plugs need to get changed on the service they will charge you for FOUR not two. I bet they will also just break into another time allocation to charge you a little more labour. If it aint broke why fix it? Are we really this fashion conscious that we desire a bike with four plugs.

But it IS broke, Andy. Read any of the many threads about surging - who suggested this was a 'fashion' question?

MikeO :confused:

Have any UK guys got a twin spark yet?? I have a GS ordered for mrch so are the chances of getting one ?

I ordered a GS Adventure for March Delivery. Found out it's arrived already (In the UK at least, not yet at the dealers 'Wollastons').

I've always being suspicious about accepting early delivery when it comes to BMW (My car was 2 months early and was one of the last to have Nicasil plated liners - Which I didn't discover until a year later).

Anyway, Richard at Wollastons assures me the GS is a twin spark (i.e. 4 plugs in total, I even asked him to confirm the definition of twin spark just to be absolutely sure). So the chances are good yours will be too. Mind you I'll be happier when I've seen it for myself.

Russell

I also have a GS on order from Woolaston, for delivery in March, and this has also been confirmed as a "Twin Spark".

Simon

The twin plug is yet to to be seen if uits any different or indeed a retrograde step, have you seen where the second plug is located ?????

Can't really see the point of twin sparking this engine. The centrally located plug is already in the ideal position.
On the airheads the plug was off to one side so at high revs the flame front didn't reach the far side of the combustion chamber. Twin plugging has a huge beneficial effect.
Anyone know what the Alfa Romeo set up is?

Just ordered my GS, for handover in the new year.

I think I got a fair deal, thanks to the info above Re: the new model being on it's way etc.

Managed to get a still available brand new 02 UK bike which I think for the seec I ordered worked out at approx a GBP 500 saving over the new 03 price.

Plus for taking the older non TwinSpark off the dealers hands and not waiting until next year, I got an extra GBP 400 trade -in on the old bike comapred to a 2nd hand bike he had.
It actually it worked out to be GBP 1,000 more than one other dealer, whom I won't name names as he was better than one dealer who wouldn't touch any Jap bike unless you paid him.

Lets hope the bike lives up to it's image when I get it.

Happy Xmas and New Year to all.

So Thank You all for the comments above , and I hope to see you around.

Looks like January would be a date for my diary.

Have a good Xmas Everyone.

Back
Top Bottom