Be ready for adventure with the new Dakar-tested GS Helmet & Goggles.

UKGSer

Administrator
Reaction score
bmwsmall.jpg
BMW Motorrad
United Kingdom

Media Information 5th February 2015

Be ready for adventure with the new Dakar-tested GS Helmet & Goggles.

Simon Pavey gave the GS helmet the ultimate test at the 2015 Dakar race.

BMW Motorrad’s hugely popular Enduro helmet has been superseded by the all-new GS helmet. The GS helmet is lighter, stronger and more comfortable - offering riders the perfect adventure-ready helmet for on- and off-road riding.

The GS helmet has just been put through the ultimate test, being worn by BMW Off Road Skills Chief Instructor Simon Pavey and his son Llewellyn during the 2015 Dakar race.

2015 BMW GS helmet - highlights at a glance.

• Versatile on and off-road adventure helmet
  • Light weight construction keeps weight at approx. 1,450g
  • Shell is 100% carbon-fibre-reinforced plastic
  • Visor can be replaced with GS goggles
  • Removable peak and chin flap for extra air-flow
  • Compatible with BMW Motorrad Communication System & Neck Brace
  • Available in plain colours and dynamic designs
  • Sizes 52/53 to 62/63
  • Costs from £400 to £450.

Simon Pavey, Dakar racer and BMW Off Road Skills Chief Instructor, said: “Both my son Llewellyn and I wore the new GS helmet for this year’s Dakar. It was a bit of a gamble trying an untested product, but comfort and fit was really good for both of us. The liner and padding material is quite different to other off road helmets but it really works. Ventilation throughout the helmet and breathability around the mouth piece are really good, while the vent closures are both aesthetically pleasing and easy to use. We had temperatures ranging rapidly from as low as -9 to over 50 degrees Celsius, truly demanding for any helmets, and they managed admirably.

“All the GS helmet features are nicely thought out. The chinbar vent clip, the chin piece and the visor are all strong, easy to operate and well situated. The visor mechanism works really well, has good peak clearance when open and closes easily and positively. Much improved. The peak itself is great even at high speed, and didn’t cause any head wobbles even at 165kph flat out on the dirt.

“Overall we were really impressed and I am looking forward to spending as many hours as possible with one on my head this year, both racing and adventure riding at the BMW Off Road Skills school. I've truly never had a helmet that worked for both.”

The GS helmet shell is constructed from of 100% carbon-fibre-reinforced plastic (CFRP). This provides excellent impact absorption and keeps weight down to approximately 1,450g.

The shock-absorbing inner shell comprises of five sections of varying density for optimal safety. The characteristic BMW integrated neck bands complete the safety concept, keeping the helmet firmly in place and optimally positioned on the head if the worst should come to the worst – a feature offered by very few helmets anywhere in the world.

The GS helmet is equipped as standard with 3D-curved double glazed anti-fogging inner visor. The outer visor has a scratch-proof coating on both sides. The visor can be easily removed and replaced without the need for tools.

Alternatively, riders can instead remove the visor and opt for the matching goggles for the ultimate in off-road usability.

For maximum air flow when riding off-road, the chin-vent flap is removable. The integrated screen then provides protection against foreign objects and acts as a dust filter. The aerodynamically optimised, wind tunnel-honed peak is removable, too, while the head and chin pads are removable and washable.

The helmet is compatible with the BMW Motorrad Communication System to connect with phones, music players and sat-nav systems, and as a further safety feature is combinable with the BMW Motorrad Neck Brace System.

The GS helmet is available in the colours Light White and Black Matt, and in Xplore, Comp and One World patterns. The GS helmet is available in sizes 52/53 to 62/63 and can be ordered via BMW Motorrad Retailers. It will be available in late February 2015.

For a full gallery of images, media information and technical specifications, please visit BMW PressClub by clicking here.

i-RbzwwkV-X2.jpg

The new BMW GS helmet offers on-and off-road potential for riders

i-vmCGGVb-X2.jpg

Optional Goggles add to the customisation on offer

i-tWNzPS2-X2.jpg

Simon Pavey gave the GS helmet the ultimate test in the 2015 Dakar race

For more information on BMW Motorrad products, or to find your local BMW Motorrad dealership, visit www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk or call 0800 777 155.

Is that his tongue sticking out?:eek::D

Must have been thirsty, looking at the state of it!:p

Back
Top Bottom