K100RS

Todays update.

Not done any work on the bike at all - ordered a few more odds and sods from Cotswold mottorad. I reckon the spare parts guys, Nick in particulars bonus is being paid from all the part I order.

Took a trip to a local paintshop today and hired them to do the respray. Hopefully will get parts back mid April.

I need to paint a few brackets and stuff up meantime - black smoothrite will do. I also want to bleed the brakes whilst there is no painted panels - although I'm thinking of using synthetic fluid so it shouldn't take paint off.....

Sorry for the lack of updates, been a busy few weeks and holiday time.

Before holiday I found a local paint sprayer who quoted a reasonable amount to respray all the panels on the bike. I'd decided on a colour so took all the panels to him and let him do his thing.

While the panels have been with him I've been pottering. One of the upgrades to the bike is to feed the dipped and main beams directly from the battery through relays. Relays were purchased and I found there was enough room to mount them on the headlamp bracket.

A loom was made to feed from the battery and I found a spare fuse box removed from my old R1100GS. I fitted the fuse box behind the seat infill panel on the left hand side by the expansion tank. Wires were run to the new relays.

I fitted the footpegs and the rear brakes and then bled them all through using Automec Dot 5 fluid. It's synthetic and purple. It is non corrosive and is not hygroscopic. I forgot to take pics....

I was cleaning up odd brackets and parts yesterday when Adam, the painter called to say my panels were ready.

Rather than leave them lying around and risk getting them scratched me and my mate Al started fitting them.

First the front mudguard.

Then fitted the headlamp and the screen into the from fairing and fitted the fairing to the bike.

I fitted up the front indicators into the mirror, fitted the glass and then put them on the bike.

I fitted the rear fairing - added the mudguard and the lights and fitted that to the bike.

The other panels just kind of easily clipped in and the seat bolted on.

Again, no pictures of this bit as it was getting too exciting......

I might put some pictures up of the finished bike this week - need to try and get mot booked for Saturday and some insurance and tax arranged - then hopefully "wheelnuts" in Stroud on Sunday....

I fitted the footpegs and the rear brakes and then bled them all through using Automec Dot 5 fluid. It's synthetic and purple. It is non corrosive and is not hygroscopic. I forgot to take pics....

Get it out again and flush well That is Silicone brake fluid

Use Dot 4 or DOT 5.1 but not DOT 5

Rubber in old systems does not like Silicone brake fluid (I had a pal who put it in his K and took out out a week later) He had to change his front master cylinder piston as the seals swelled up)

A question for you If its non Hygroscopic .... Where do you think that any water that is drawn into the system ends up after time ? Yup in the Calipers as far as research has shown

Nice rebuild :thumb

Get it out again and flush well That is Silicone brake fluid

Use Dot 4 or DOT 5.1 but not DOT 5

Rubber in old systems does not like Silicone brake fluid (I had a pal who put it in his K and took out out a week later) He had to change his front master cylinder piston as the seals swelled up)

A question for you If its non Hygroscopic .... Where do you think that any water that is drawn into the system ends up after time ? Yup in the Calipers as far as research has shown

Nice rebuild :thumb

I'm leaving it in. She has had new seals and hoses and prior to putting the seals in I tested then by leaving them soaking in it for a month - nothing happened. Everything is new and clean so will be ok.

Bike booked for MOT on Friday - hopefully the exhaust from eBay arrives before then.....

Day of reckoning today. I booked the MOT for this afternoon as I finish work early on Fridays. Typically it was pours with rain, but this bike is not to be precious about more of a useable classic.

After a bit of a chat and catch up Ben at Bar Ash got on with the test. Brakes all checked fine, headlamp a bit high so adjusted down, no play in any of the bearing, all lights and horn working - in short a clean bill of health and a pass!!!

A day out tomorrow hopefully in the sun to scrub in the tyres, pop to the painters to give her a polish and then in to Cotswold to see Nick and the team and show them the finished result. Then Sunday I'm showing her at Wheelnuts in Stroud so come and say hi if you go to the show.

Some finished pics for you...

Thanks to mate Allan for the extra pair of hands, knowing which bits bolted to where and to my long suffering wife for copious amounts of Chilli and Tea....

Yesterday my mate Allan and I showed our bikes at Wheelnuts 2016 in aid of St Roses school in Stroud.

Forgot to take loads of pics - here's a couple.

Back
Top Bottom