R1200R WC First Ride.

DrAlf

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Miss Alf is just under 9 months pregnant so as a special treat I took her along to our new local BMW dealer on Saturday to witness the launch of 3 new bikes – F800R, S1000RR 2015 and the R1200R WC. I had no real interest in the first two but the R1200R seemed like an interesting combination - slightly re-tuned 12 WC motor, S1000 based forks rather than a telelever, 4 maps – road, rain, dynamic and user, D-ESA, gear assist (AKA quick shifter) and traction control. Quite a long way removed from my manual everything 1150 POS which hasn’t even got ABS.

I hadn’t ridden since last Oct and the roads were greasy, salty and slippery – perfect conditions for a test ride on a brand new bike. Having only recently moved to the area I had no idea of a good test route and had to rely on a predefined route from the helpful sales guy which I immediately forgot and then got lost. Anyway 2 things were of interest to me – the lack of telelever and the quick shifter. I’m a big fan of telelever equipped bikes and suspected that the move back to a telescopic front end may well have been based on improved financials for BMW rather than benefiting the riding experience – i.e. economies of scale with the S1000XX range. Consequently I wasn’t expecting to like the new forks. But I was wrong – the front end is rock solid and despite my best efforts proved to be pretty much unshakable on very slippery roads and with minimal noticeable fork dive even under very heavy braking. Worth noting that the test bike was equipped with PR4’s which as far as I’m concerned are the best wet weather tyres available.

The gear assist was a new experience for me – I’m aware that it’s been available on the RT and GS WC bikes for a while and have to admit to being quite envious of Nutty’s QS equipped WC on last year’s Wales trip. It took me a while to get used to it and I found I had to consciously control gear changes as the act of throttling off and clutching in is second nature to me. But what an improvement – gear changes are almost instantaneous and the experience is quite addictive, I found myself changing gears all the time just to experience the QS. I’m very impressed and want one.

The R1200R certainly felt very fast although I suspect that a lot of this is due to the wind blast. When I take the screen off my old 1150 it feels smaller, more nimble and faster. Overall the R1200R WC is quite a hooligan weapon – although heavily reined in by the restrictive traction control. I’d like another go on the 12R but next time on twisty dry B roads that I know well rather than wet and slippery dual carriageways and A roads.

Attachments

• Capture3.JPG
    Capture3.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 1,747
..........................Overall the R1200R WC is quite a hooligan weapon – although heavily reined in by the restrictive traction control. I’d like another go on the 12R but next time on twisty dry B roads that I know well rather than wet and slippery dual carriageways and A roads.

I appreciate you were only out for a short test ride so may not know the answer but is the level of TC linked to the map chosen and or switchable for different levels of intervention?

Andres

Where is the headlights, I hate this trend of streetfighter headlamp.
I think the designers have a how low can we go attitude.

I appreciate you were only out for a short test ride so may not know the answer but is the level of TC linked to the map chosen and or switchable for different levels of intervention?

Andres

You're right - I don't know! However I'd suspect that the TC level is a constant across maps as it cuts in pretty early in dynamic mode. I suspect it's either on or off and do wonder if you can preset TC to be 'off' in the user defined map?

Out of interest, is the 'user' map now standard on WC GSs? It certainly wasn't included on the early WC GS that I hired in 2013 or the WC ADV that i test rode last year.

Go on then, what colour would you like the forks, shitty cheap looking black ?

Do you seriously think the gold look makes the forks & calipers appear expensive then? :blast

Are you trying to kid your friends in to thinking that they are made by Ohlins? :augie

Had a seat on the 1200R at a launch on Sat. very comfortable seat/arm set up, slightly tight on the knee angle :eek:. Absolutely terrible rear wheel protection, even worse than the GS, more bling to buy. :eek:
Could be my next bike when I struggle with the GS. :thumb

Do you seriously think the gold look makes the forks & calipers appear expensive then? :blast

Are you trying to kid your friends in to thinking that they are made by Ohlins? :augie

Expensive , no. I look at this from an aesthetic point of view and black forks look shit as do wheels, all in my opinion of course. Gold calipers are a different matter, they look shit as well.

on the all black model , the gold forks looked great ….im riding one of these ,this Saturday and looking forward to it…

first impressions

its not a GS thats for sure!

Having ridden one for an hour ish on a mix of wet/greasy and dry ish A & B roads ( some mud strewn) and a 10 mile motorway blast I think I had a reasonable ride and able to make a few decent comments...

I cant really comment on style as its too subjective and as for colours re forks frame etc... though I will agree the gold forks on the white bike are a little 'blingy' But I could live with that..( living in from Essex :thumb)

What I can comment on is that it has a unique ride experience... the LC engine in this format is punchy and lively especially when compared to the RnineT and also compared to a GS.

Mid range push is improved over GS models ( somewhat down to weight saving too no doubt) as is the initial pull away from standstill, its got a real surge..

handling is light and almost frisky... the Dynamic ESA noticable between modes and it does affect the Traction control in relation to mode.

It turns in quick, not sportsbike but swift enough for spirited riding/cornering and roundabout playing :D

the Dash is a little messy in one of the styles but can be simplified to suit..

its a narrow bike that you 'sit in' sorry couldnt think of a better description.. the standard seat is comfy ( given the short ish journey i went on)
Gear shift assist is a hoot... working sweeter on down shifts with a blip of throttle thrown in by the system,, up shifts best done 3,4,5,6 when throttle pinned....

summing up coz I could go on...( yup It impressed me) ..

Its a punchy roadster with great allround potential. different in looks enough to stand out but not radical,

I know I will be buying one shortly !:thumb2

its not a GS thats for sure!

Having ridden one for an hour ish on a mix of wet/greasy and dry ish A & B roads ( some mud strewn) and a 10 mile motorway blast I think I had a reasonable ride and able to make a few decent comments...

I cant really comment on style as its too subjective and as for colours re forks frame etc... though I will agree the gold forks on the white bike are a little 'blingy' But I could live with that..( living in from Essex :thumb)

What I can comment on is that it has a unique ride experience... the LC engine in this format is punchy and lively especially when compared to the RnineT and also compared to a GS.

Mid range push is improved over GS models ( somewhat down to weight saving too no doubt) as is the initial pull away from standstill, its got a real surge..

handling is light and almost frisky... the Dynamic ESA noticable between modes and it does affect the Traction control in relation to mode.

It turns in quick, not sportsbike but swift enough for spirited riding/cornering and roundabout playing :D

the Dash is a little messy in one of the styles but can be simplified to suit..

its a narrow bike that you 'sit in' sorry couldnt think of a better description.. the standard seat is comfy ( given the short ish journey i went on)
Gear shift assist is a hoot... working sweeter on down shifts with a blip of throttle thrown in by the system,, up shifts best done 3,4,5,6 when throttle pinned....

summing up coz I could go on...( yup It impressed me) ..

Its a punchy roadster with great allround potential. different in looks enough to stand out but not radical,

I know I will be buying one shortly !:thumb2

I can only assume that your riding speed range is in a different zone to a GS? How would high speed motorway on this bike work for you?

Much as I'd like to love this bike I can't see why I would take one over a GS. I'd miss the Telelever, the weather protection and the sheer image of the GS. I currently have a GS Adventure Triple Black but I can't accept the sheer size of the GSA LC so my next bike would have to be a standard 1200 LC.

Sorry :)

I can only assume that your riding speed range is in a different zone to a GS? How would high speed motorway on this bike work for you?

Much as I'd like to love this bike I can't see why I would take one over a GS. I'd miss the Telelever, the weather protection and the sheer image of the GS. I currently have a GS Adventure Triple Black but I can't accept the sheer size of the GSA LC so my next bike would have to be a standard 1200 LC.

The GSA isn't that much bigger than the regular GS. It slightly taller, and has a wider tank, but to live with everyday, there's hardly anything in it. Try one, you may be surprised, as I found the twin cam GSA too big.

hi,
I was on the motorway at a comfortable 80mph, i went up to 100mph for a few miles( closed road of course officer) but leant forward a bit,, I wouldnt want to cruise far at that speed for long or any higher speed but 85mphish would be ok with occaisonal blasts into the higher speeds..Think my neck muscles will improve also :thumb
I dont intend to use it regularly for long haul high speed motorway runs ,, more for fun on A n B roads which it seems to achieve very well.. however it will get used on an annual week run to spain and I can live with the reduction in speed for the added agility and mid range punch it has over a GS.. ( Ive got an LC too) when I hit the twisty stuff, its much much smaller than a GS in size although not really that much lighter but strangely it feels much lighter..

and I agree with NUtty the GSA although bulkier in looks is not the giant it first appears,, but fully fuelled and loaded is another matter,,

:thumb2

hi,
I was on the motorway at a comfortable 80mph, i went up to 100mph for a few miles( closed road of course officer) but leant forward a bit,, I wouldnt want to cruise far at that speed for long or any higher speed but 85mphish would be ok with occaisonal blasts into the higher speeds..Think my neck muscles will improve also :thumb
I dont intend to use it regularly for long haul high speed motorway runs ,, more for fun on A n B roads which it seems to achieve very well.. however it will get used on an annual week run to spain and I can live with the reduction in speed for the added agility and mid range punch it has over a GS.. ( Ive got an LC too) when I hit the twisty stuff, its much much smaller than a GS in size although not really that much lighter but strangely it feels much lighter..

and I agree with NUtty the GSA although bulkier in looks is not the giant it first appears,, but fully fuelled and loaded is another matter,,

:thumb2

A good reply Bellyboy, thanks for that. I shall make sure I test ride one when the time comes to replace the GSA. For your European trips I would agree that lower speeds (high speed touring is certainly not for me any more, it may be good for the ego but it's a disaster for the holiday) in finer weather are where this bike could pitch itself.

Agility and lighter weight are far more important to me than lunatic cruising speeds but the GSA is a tough act to follow and, to be honest, I've given up trying :)

Once again, thanks for the feedback.

I've only ridden a loaner R1200r hexhead, but thought it was a hoot!

More inclined to rip it open from the lights and urban roads, than on my R-1, or Boxercup..........

The big challenge for BMW - is getting people to try it......... (non-BMW owners - that is)

Al

Back
Top Bottom