Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New build- from scratch onto a brick...PROJECT PLATFORM IS BORN

Toubab Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    and the swing arm was built up, with the Fiesta stub axle

Bearings pressed in

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Keep going this is getting interesting now

Standard Fiesta rim with a slightly wider than base model tyre (possibly from a Fiesta S or something, I'm not sure) mounted up to the swing arm, with outer swing arm pivot tacked up for clearance checking.....

Suspension finalisation TBC, but for now, my old K100RS rear shocker was offered up together with an inexpensive bog standard trailer wheel arch to see how it all starts coming together.......Gert's satisfied

Looking viable......

Lower suspension mount offered up

(we like 'offering up'......if it looks good from all angles including standing right back and seeing if it looks like it'll track properly, it gets tacked up, then it gets wiggled, yanked uipon, bounced on, and the next stage is 'offered up' to make sure it'll all fit, then the previous stage's 'tacked up' status gets changed to properly welded up but not yet flap wheeled down or painted before the 40 stone of monkeys bounce on it to make sure it won't flex or bend in any way we don't like)

It's not rust, it's 'workshop patina'

Next.....we obviously had to attach the top of the shock to the frame, so......

A bit more lathe work to make the mounting point.

The positioning wasn't right, and considering the stresses this mount point would be subject to, we went for a strength upgrade (industrial stylee )

Pardon the profanity

But Who da Fugg welded that back weld????

I hope they are going to do it properly before it goes into service??

Quote Originally Posted by Fanum View Post
    The positioning wasn't right, and considering the stresses this mount point would be subject to, we went for a strength upgrade (industrial stylee )
    Edit thinking about it there's a right few dodgy welds .............. NEXT!!!
    Oh Great and Wise Deity, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,

Courage to change the things I can! And the wisdom to know the difference!

Quote Originally Posted by DrFarkoff View Post
    Pardon the profanity

But Who da Fugg welded that back weld????

I hope they are going to do it properly before it goes into service??

Edit thinking about it there's a right few dodgy welds .............. NEXT!!!
    Untidy but strong

Checking for clearance......

Weighted and unweighted, everything moves properly and there's no decrease in clearance, IE even on a hard corner fully laden, nothing's going to rub.

Just going to say this once

"Lack of Penetration"

Ahem

Coat Door outta here LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanum View Post
    Untidy but strong
    Oh Great and Wise Deity, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,

Courage to change the things I can! And the wisdom to know the difference!

Fanum...do you not think that the sidecar shock top mounting plate would be much stronger if it was shaped (curved to suit) and welded inside the tube loop rather than stuck on the outside of it?
    Or at least,if external after all,welded around the curve rather than two edges.
    Also,the tube loop to frame welding points would benefit from some sort of triangulated gusset plates.
    Bicycle riders.....Darwin's very own speed bumps.

Quote Originally Posted by DrFarkoff View Post
    Just going to say this once

"Lack of Penetration"

Ahem

Coat Door outta here LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarka View Post
    Fanum...do you not think that the sidecar shock top mounting plate would be much stronger if it was shaped (curved to suit) and welded inside the tube loop rather than stuck on the outside of it?
    Or at least,if external after all,welded around the curve rather than two edges.
    Also,the tube loop to frame welding points would benefit from some sort of triangulated gusset plates.
    Gert's using the rig at the moment to get back and forwards to the shed for a good shakedown......I'll be in there this week and will be taking along all of these points......it will be addressed

The mudguard mounting bar goes on, as well as a couple of lighting panels.....

LED markers from Durite's truck range for the front

And the same on the middle of the outer side, just ahead of the swing arm for a bit of all-round visibility

Durite do these lamps in bulbed versions or superbright LED.....for cost reasons, these are the bulbed versions (it also means spare globes can be found pretty much anywhere...LEDs don't go wrong often but if they do and you don't have a complete replacement, you're into the realms of bodgery )

A spray over and a tidy, plus a side facing repeater

I have no idea where he found it, but Gert also came up with a rack to stick on top of the wheel arch........probably a good idea 'cos the first thing guaranteed to happen at a rally is some drunk knobber will try and sit on the plastic

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast