Carole Nash

sherpatensing

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Been said before I'm sure.

Moved home (7 miles away from my old house) so phoned CN and changed address details. Charged over £40....robbin' cnuts.

At least Dick Turpin had the decencey to wear a mask when he robbed folk.....

This seems to be on par with the outrageous charges banks make for being overdrawn. Perhaps a letter of complaint to the insurance ombudsman may help.

We've done this before.

Insurers have to cover their costs somehow. They need someone to answer the phone or have an IT system you can access to make the change yourself. They will need to update the MID which will probably cost them.

This all costs money. Now, they could aggregate these costs and then add a few quid onto every premium. This would be great for those who change their bikes often or those who move frequently.

Personally, I prefer people pay the fee only when they access the service. I don't move address very often and I don't change my bike every year so in the long term it will work out cheaper for me. If someone has a fleet of bikes and keeps adding or disposing of their bikes then they are going to be paying quite a bit in extra charges: I would rather not subsidise their lifestyle choice by paying a supplement on my annual insurance premium.

So, in summary, your gripe is ill considered in my view.

Insurers have to cover their costs somehow.....
It's hard to agree with your comment when you consider my annual premium with CN is £101 including UK & EU breakdown cover.

We moved house in September, less than a mile up the road, 2 weeks after I'd renewed my policy with BMW, and after being on hold for 10 minutes, speaking to three different "managers", they waived their £30 admin fee.:rolleyes:

I asked them why, if it costs so much money to amend an address on the system, can't the customer just log in and change it themselves. They had no answer for that.:blast

Been said before I'm sure.

Moved home (7 miles away from my old house) so phoned CN and changed address details. Charged over £40....robbin' cnuts.

Also consider that your new post code might be a higher risk area than your old post code.

As Steptoe would say, at least you saved a lot by taking out a cheap policy in the first place.

PS. NFU do not charge an admin fee for mid term adjustments. Maybe you should try them next time.

It's hard to agree with your comment when you consider my annual premium with CN is £101 including UK & EU breakdown cover.

I don't get your comment..... It's because your premium is so low that they need to cover their other overheads.

If they didn't charge for additional work only needed on an individual basis "as and when" then the cost would be spread over everyones policy, so we'd all be paying for sherpatensings house move policy alteration.
Why should i have to contribute for someone elses benefit, i don't ask others to pay towards any costs that i may incur on my policy.

Plus it's in the T&C of the policy so you know before you except and pay what you're getting and can hardly whinge when it's imposed.
If someone changes address every six months they'd best find cover that doesn't charge for policy alterations. If they only change address every ten years i'd hardly lose sleep over £40 once a decade. :D

I don't get your comment..... It's because your premium is so low that they need to cover their other overheads.

If they didn't charge for additional work only needed on an individual basis "as and when" then the cost would be spread over everyones policy, so we'd all be paying for sherpatensings house move policy alteration.
Why should i have to contribute for someone elses benefit, i don't ask others to pay towards any costs that i may incur on my policy.

Plus it's in the T&C of the policy so you know before you except and pay what you're getting and can hardly whinge when it's imposed.
If someone changes address every six months they'd best find cover that doesn't charge for policy alterations. If they only change address every ten years i'd hardly lose sleep over £40 once a decade. :D

Yes it's in my T&C's as well and if I need to make a change I accept I must pay it, but do I consider it a "reasonable" fee, no I don't!

My basis is that CN don't provide the cover, they are a broker. Neither do they provide the breakdown cover, they are an agent for whichever companies they do the deal with. They then charge us their broker's fee which will be a fairly small amount of the overall premium, these came down massively during the 1980's due to the extensive use of computers and then telesales which is CN's business model like most other big insurers these days. The actual cost of administering the policy is minimal and making a change to the details is likewise very small, brokers need to make a profit just like any other business but the £40 details-change fee is out of balance ... I have other policies where it is £15 and one where changes are not charged. Any increase in premium due to the change is factored separately.

Interestingly I can take the bike abroad repeatedly, make lots of phone calls notifying them of the details and there's zero fee. I like CN as a broker, the policies they offer suit my needs perfectly and the folks that work there are extremely polite and helpful - they're based only 10 miles or so from me and we're nice people up here! They've just jumped on the bandwagon and are charging the now pretty standard £40 fee.

Just got renewal from CN for this year, up by £150 despite no claims etc and over 36 years ncd, so went online to see what they will quote, what a shit website, apparently a 2014 ,64 plate bmw adventure does not exist nor does my home address despite already being an existing customer.

Tried it without the new bike just my old adventure ,my katana and xr250 and after filling in a load of crap they say they cannot quote on these bikes online...... funny how they are covering all 4 bikes already

I'm a bit miffed with CN myself. I renewed last week for the 5th straight year. I forgot to add pillion cover which I took off last year. I called them 2 days after renewal when I read the documents that were emailed, and asked what the insurer would charge to add pillion cover. The answer was nothing, that it would be covered in the existing price. However, CN wanted £35 to make the change. I didn't go for it, but did make a mental note to shop around next renewal.

Renewed my insurance today, I told them last June that I had retired , told them again in September when I got the new GSA, noticed on the renewal my previous occupation was still listed so told them again to put me down as retired, , you guessed it docs arrived by e mail today (3 hours oafter renewal ) and I am still shown as working . Not quite sure why they can't understand a simple instruction ?

Sorry for being a bit late to the party here.

If it was only 2 days following renewal, would this not fall into the cooling off period, allowing you to cancel the policy free of charge and then start a new one?

Back
Top Bottom