Scotland to Magadan

Dreamer14

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm planning on riding my bike from Scotland to Magadan and back as per the Title of this thread suggested. Planning on leaving in June and returning sometime in January o and I'm planning on doing it alone.

So I'm planning on heading to Ulaanbaatar (Mongolia not that i need to tell people here) in May Via Southern Europe to see some friends then up into north Europe before heading through Belarus into Russia ill probably head to Saratov (Russia) first then onto kurgan (Russia) before crossing into Kazakhstan maybe just for a short visit before heading to Omsk (Russia)then following the road to olgii (Mongolia) then ill basically ride to Zuulun (Mongolia) stay there for a bit before heading to Ulaanbaatar. Ill then decide if i want to continue on up to Magadan. This will depend on how much time it has taken me to get so far and what experiences i have had on the road. If i do go to Magadan i will only be spending a week if that there just getting whatever i need done to the bike whilst I'm in civilization before spinning around and heading back to Ulaabaatar.

Then I'm planning on taking the old Silk route home depending on if i can get the bike into china(not really sure if that's possible not really read anything promising about getting UK registered vehicles into it). If not it will be back to Russia via north Mongolia before heading back into Kazakhstan to do a section of the silk road that's in southern Kazakhstan.

I was originally planning on getting there ferry across the Caspian sea but i think it would be way more fun to ride around it and head to Azerbaijan then into Armenia before heading back to Europe through Turkey. Then ill just lazily ride up through southern Europe back to the UK and then i guess i could go back to work. I have calculated that it will be between 20-25 thousand miles.

What do you think of my plan im not big into making plan's im more of a just go with the flow kind of guy. Also i have spoken to my insurance company about insuring my bike in Russia and so on and they do not offer this does anyone have any information about insurance or helpful information for me about my planned trip. I would be extremely great-full for any help you can give me.

Thanks
Adam :thumby:

You've obviously never been in eastern Russia October/ November.... I hope you can ride in mud, past that snow and ice blowing directly from Siberia......

:blast

Pah! You've just described - Caithness! :blast

Al :D

Dunno that I would be planning on being in Russia anytime soon ,the political situation could perhaps go unstable very quickly

Thanks Guys ill have a look into that link and i actually have been to eastern Russia in the winter and i do love riding in the mud and ice.

Hi Adam,

Just had a read of your plans for a trip to Magadan, we are leaving England on 29th May heading for Magadan, when are you aiming to be in Kazakhstan and Mongolia. We might be around at the same time if you are interested in a meet along the route.

John

Thanks Guys ill have a look into that link and i actually have been to eastern Russia in the winter and i do love riding in the mud and ice.

Good for you mate , don't listen to all negative folk, or you will end up like them doing fuck all:thumb

Good for you mate , don't listen to all negative folk, or you will end up like them doing fuck all:thumb

Hear hear to that. All this bollocks and scaremongering you see on the news. Especially about Russia. The people out there are friendly and stoic and just get on with it.

I rode through a few of those places last year - check my blog if you're bored! - down through the lovely Saratov - then south into and across China. If you want help and advice getting your bike through China speak to Steve at motoexplorers.co.uk

We are riding from our local village, Inagh, to China, starting next Sunday 26th. You can get into China with a British-registered bike, but it costs a bomb. You must approach a Chinese agent to organise all the permits for you and declare your date/port of entry before you arrive at the border. This process generally takes around 3 months. Your own travel visa will not allow you to temporarily import your bike and you will be turned away without the proper clearance. The agent will arrange a guide to meet you at the border, for whom you will have to pay all expenses. Though not strictly mandatory, this guide will facilitate the re-registering of your bike and Chinese driving license, and will accompany you throughout your time in China to ensure a) that you don't stray into politically sensitive areas and b) so that the agency can be sure that you properly exit the country at the end of your stay (and they then reclaim the customs bond that they paid when you imported your bike and which, of course, you paid them for). There are a very few agents that may agree to supply the necessary permits and allow you to tour independently, but most people make contact with others travelling in the same direction through a forum such as Horizons Unlimited HUBB and share costs. Unless you go with a reputable tour agent, it can be a bit hit and miss with many reports of people being hit with unexpected extra fees.

We had no luck approaching agents independently and eventually (in slight desperation) approached Globebusters to ask if they could help out with paperwork. In fact, their Ace to Ace Expedition from London to Beijing coincided with our dates, so they invited us to join their group for the China portion of the trip. This option was undoubtedly more expensive than if we had managed to organise to share expenses, but it's debatable as to how much it would have cost us to travel independently. We'll also have the security of an experienced tour leader, reliable Chinese guides and a support truck from the Kyrgyzstan border to Beijing. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but with Chinese travel, it's reassuring to deal with a reputable UK company rather than dealing in pigeon-English with the Chinese.

We'll also be travelling via Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan and Kyrgyzstan in May and June, and returning from Beijing via Mongolia in July/August. May be our paths will cross.

Adam
Be careful with the Azeri/Armenia bit.......lots of ill feeling between those two....I work in Baku and see it all the time.
Otherwise, have a great adventure.......

Grant

Adam
Be careful with the Azeri/Armenia bit.......lots of ill feeling between those two....I work in Baku and see it all the time.
Otherwise, have a great adventure.......

Grant
Armenia - Azerbijian border is closed - as is Armenia - Turkey Border so you will need to head up through Georgia... or into Iran then up through Armenia to Georgia. If you do make it into Southern Armenia - PM and I should be able to meet for a beer or vodka in Kapan

Back
Top Bottom